Tornado Warning in Los Angeles, CA 1/19/10

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by leomac08, Jan 19, 2010.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

http:​/​/​cbs2.​com/​local/​Southern.​California.​Tornado.​2.​1435650.​html

I have never been in a Hurricane or Tornado, but at 1pm I felt that the eye of storm was right on top of me (Irvine, CA)

There was lighting, rain, winds up to 50MPH! it was insane. Got it on video too w/ my Blackberry.

I was also walking from class to class, but got soaked! and macbook luckily survived in its carrying case.

It kind of reminded me of "The Day After Tomorrow" where a tornado hits LA......well this is a first..

Who out there felt the tornado force winds?????? in Southern California.:eek:

2. dankybear macrumors regular

scary, I have good friends in the Long Beach and Irvine area, hope everything turns out OK

3. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

It's kind of sunny and windy......right now..... but it was so scary, i avoided trees for the fright of being struck by one or lighting!:(

http://cbs2.com/local/Southern.California.Tornado.2.1435650.html

the storm winds flip cars near the coast.:eek::eek:

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's weird that any sign of storminess in socal sends everyone into a panic.

5. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

More like Earthquake ready..........:p

but after the storm is done......feels like a hurricane passed but back to business as usual.:)

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If it was a hurricane you would be able to tell.:p

7. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

A hurricane in LA?????? i wouldn't be surprised if some maniacs started surfing near huntington and manhattan beaches.:p

8. mac88 macrumors 6502

That's crazy. I was working on a construction (stone mason) site on Cape Cod about 12-15 years ago. I think I was in Mashpee or Sandwich, I don't quite remember the town. All of a sudden, a police cruiser rolls up on the job site and the officers jump out and start telling us to get down from the scaffolding and run for cover. A large tornado had touched down and was heading straight for the area of the jobsite. A few minutes later this tornado rips right through the jobsite causing an absolute mess. Debris everywhere and the scaffolding we were on comes tumbling to the ground. I don't think anyone of us stopped thanking and hugging the police for letting us know. They literally saved us and for that I will always be grateful. We were all shocked that a tornado was on Cape Cod.

9. carlgo macrumors 68000

I hate strong wind. It can all be somewhere else as far as I am concerned. Nothing good comes of it.

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Today in boston, it was snowing..... I wish i lived in CA. I saw the news and it seems like you guys have been getting hammered. When i read the thread title it reminded me of the day after tomorrow, good movie too :)

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

We've been getting a lot of rain and wind, causing some minor damage, but all in all it's like MacNut said, Socal gets a little weather and everyone freaks out. :)

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That's because as soon as a single cloud appears in the sky here, it becomes STORMWATCH HD 2010 w/ Xtreme 4D Hi-Def Doppler, with Claude Raines on Weather and Misty Peaks in NewsAlert Chopper 7, in the air with the Channel 7 CloudCam.

13. jcb10 macrumors regular

Actually, if it were the eye of the storm, the wind would be calm and there'd be no rain. :eek:

As for a tornado warning being a "first," in LA, you just out-ted yourself as young. I remember a tornado in the mid 80s causing significant damage to the old LA convention center. And for high winds in So Cal are not unusual, I lived in La Crescenta and Glendale and those Santa Ana winds can be quite powerful.

14. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I'm in Bakersfield right now I hope everything at home (Corona, Ca.) is ok.

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

Oh my goodness, please take this with all due respect.... but if 50mph winds is news.... Southern Californians are weather wimps!!! You have no idea... Oh dear... that is so, mild.

Monday night, windstorm blew through the south coast of British Columbia with winds of over 100 kph, gusting to 120 kph (or for the metric impaired 62mph gusting to 75mph. Hurricane force winds start at 118 kph for reference. Yes, we personally lost power for 40 hours, but some of neighbours are heading for 60 hours. Yes, some (but not all) ferries were cancelled or delayed. Yes, trees fell down... we lost a big Douglas Fir, but nothing onto the house. But, you know.... this happens several times a winter here.

A storm here can kick up winds of 50 mph for a day or two at a time. We actually kind'a like it when it blows 50 mph from the west in the winter ... it blows the clouds and rain away, the sun shines and everyone gets out into the sun.

Storm news - 50 mph..... I roll my eyes.... You should google 'Tofino Storm Watching' and then book a vacation. Trust me, if you get lucky with a storm you will go back to SoCal a different person.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That was a great storm, wasn't it? It irritated me for 2 reasons. The wind kept waking me up and the power went down about 2 hours before we had to get up to get the kids to school. Came back on just in time, however. Par for the course really.

17. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Welcome to my world. Living in GA during the months of Feb-May you hear Tornado warnings every other day. It is definitely a scary thing to deal with. And I agree with the "The Day After Tomorrow" references. It seems odd that all these natural events are happening (severe storms in SoCal, Earthquakes in the Caribean/S.America regions, Extreme cold in the southern states (including snow in FL)).

18. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

the 405 is underwater

the 405 southbound lane going to Orange County near Long Beach was underwater today!!!! the water reached up to my wheels.!!

Attached Files:

19. dankybear macrumors regular

405S is dangerous regardless... i hope everyone's safe out there

20. run-kmc macrumors member

You don't have to worry until your headlights are underwater. That becomes a problem.

21. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

Me too.....i hope everybody listening to avoid driving any freeway when it rains! AT ALL COST!:eek:

I feel sorry for the camaro.....(that camaro was abandoned) and I also saw 2 brand new BMW 528i's underwater!:eek:

I ask why do people go through the water????!!!! especially with a new car?!:eek::eek:

Attached Files:

22. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

isn't it dangerous and reckless (and even more dangerous under torrential rain) to be taking pictures of the road, while you are driving?

23. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

If you bothered to look at the pictures you could tell that traffic is at a standstill.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Even more crazy, that picture is out his rear window. He's actually driving backwards in the traffic.

25. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

No, i would never do that under these types of conditions. :eek:

It was at a standstill.:p

LOL. it's actually my front window, you just don't see the MPH, RPM, Gas gauges..:D

Attached Files: