Torrent Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fazzl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So i use transmission and have DSL. When I download audio torrents, i usually get around 100-200 kbs but when i download movies etc i get like 10-50 kbs only. Why am i getting such slow speeds? right now for example my downloads are not downloading even though it says there are like 30 peers there. but one of them is downloading from 6 from 66 peers at 10 kbs. Any help? My port is open too.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remember torrents also depend on the upload speed of your peer. If he/she has low upload speeds, your download speeds will be limited to your peer's upload bandwidth.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Your speed always depend on the number of seeders in the swarm and also the seeder/leecher ratio. Always look for torrents that have a good amount of seeders, preferably more seeders than leechers. If you can't find one that has more seeders than leechers, choose the one that has the best ratio. Like 30seeds 70leechs would be a 30% ratio and so forth.

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so the download going at 10 kbs has 50 seeders and 900 leechers. thats why its so slow?

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Yep

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes, thats because there are 18 times more people trying to download it then share it to others.. so the bandwidth is dramatically reduced between all people. sometimes you may get lucky and get connected to a fast uploader. just leave it for a while and it will be fine.

make sure you upload!

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, that is a very bad seeder/leecher ratio. The 50 people that have the download completed are seeding but if 900 people are trying to download it at the same time, there is much less bandwith per person than say if only 100 people were trying to download it. Just try to find the most seeders possible compared to the amount of leechers.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

But that's not how torrents work - at all. Unless all 900 people are stuck at the same point and all 50 seeders are imaginary.

As soon as one leacher DL's one block he essentially becomes a seeder of that block - tho "seeder" status in the client list isn't awarded until he has 100%. So there are actually 900 partial seeders and 50 complete seeders. As long as there are more than 2 complete seeders the ratio of seeders to leachers is insignificant. 50 to 900 is a great torrent - awesome even! - and should be DLing for anyone with a good connection and proper settings, very fast!

So if it's going slow then it's either the connection, or the settings. If your UP and Down speeds are too different (like 2MB/s up and 10KB/s down) then I would also open the tracker list and delete any leach trackers that are piggy-backing onto the torrent.

Many of the torrents I DL are 40 to 2000 in ratio and I get a consistent nine or ten megaBYTES per second.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i look at the issues as this:

1. if they have the data you want: the uploading speed of everyone, regardless of status
    2. how much others are "hogging" other peers
    3. your ports
    4. your ISP.

i am downloading a torrent with 9000 seeders and 7000 leechers.. according to you that should be phenomenal download speeds, yet i am only hitting 60kbps (uploading at 10kbps). i changed uploads to 50kbps (nearing my upload speed limit) and it went up to 100kbps maybe 120. (these are all in bytes fyi).

my ISP is hopeless, and i have alot of problems properly opening ports (ISP issues again sigh), i rarely connect to peers that give me data quickly.

how fast do you upload?? i guess your seeing quick results because you upload a lot faster and to more people - meaning more people are willing to give data back..

game of cat and mouse i guess haha.