Torrent Program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Iphone Junkie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Iphone Junkie macrumors newbie

I know this is a thread that will probably start a lot of controversy but please if you have something negative to say please keep it to yourself. I just recently picked up my Black MacBook 2.0Ghz 2Gb

WHAT IS THE BEST TORRENT PROGRAM?

I have heard nothing but good things about Transmission, What do you guys think?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think you should use the search function.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

utorrent. Why controversy? I assume you are downloading legal content such as linux ISO's.

4. Floris1994 Guest

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

μTorrent over Transmission.

Transmission is supposedly unstable.

6. Iphone Junkie thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you shouldn't have posted in this thread,

uTorrent over Transmission? Why? I have always used BitComet and YES this is strictly to download LEGAL content.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

He's just pointing out that this topic has come up several times and you could have saved yourself some time by simply searching for those threads.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think you should use the search function, thereby following the rules of the forum.

Your turn.

9. Iphone Junkie thread starter macrumors newbie

See the funny thing that you guys are not realizing is that my machine is very valuable to me therefore I am trying to get intelligent responses which I am not getting. There are updates/releases weekly on these programs. Secondly, when I did do a search there was not one within the last 30 days that I felt accommodated my needs on this topic. So thanks for all of the responses of go do a search and stop posting things that have been posted before. I appreciate the big waste of time........;)

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Latest versions of Transmission are completely stable (for me, at least.)

12. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Ditto for me, for the most part. Last few days it seems to crash when I pause a torrent though, not entirely sure whether it's related to the torrent itself or not.

14. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

My vote goes to Vuze and for you to use the search function. There has not been significant updates to any torrent programs in the past month.

15. Aniday macrumors regular

Definitely Vuze.

I have a 15" Unibody MBP.

When I tried Transmission the downloads never started. It just sat there.

However I tried Vuse and it works great and I get good kbs as long as the seed number is good.

Vuse pretty much takes all the work out of downloading torrents (legal ones, of course. Yes) It searches all the major torrent sites for you and finds the best seed to peer ratio for the file you want to get. It contains the torrent file within the app so there's less files floating around and it downloads and seeds automatically. Pausing, resuming, and deleting a download is really easy as well. When it's done the file will then go into a folder it made within "Documents".

It's way less complicated than Transmission, especially if you're new to downloading torrents. Legal, naturally.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Transmission.

Light-weight, and always works. Never had an issue with Transmission for over a year..

17. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Haven't heard that before.

18. PHermas macrumors newbie

Yea me neither, probably because it's not true.

19. mojohojo macrumors regular

does anyone know roughly when utorrent will officially be out of beta and released?

i've been using utorrent on pc for a while and realised how much better it is compared to Vuze. Vuze has become utter crap since they've changed it from Azureus with all these uneccesary features like the network HD and its video features.

i might try out tranmission again, can you select certain files in a torrent to download and selected its priority? i remember it was very basic without many useful functions few years ago i tried it.

20. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

Ha! Anyway I use BitTorrent on my old Dell laptop and download to the shared folder. Then just transfer onto my Mac. For Mac, my friends use Vuze and say that it works great.

21. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Transmission for me. uTorrent for Mac's interface is very confusing for me and is still in Beta.

22. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't understand what's wrong wrong with Vuze. It uses a bit more CPU, Ram than Transmission but that was really only a problem before we moved to Intel.

Checks Vuze CPU usage...okay, so maaybee a bigger chunk of CPU than I thought (20% of 2 cores). Nonetheless! I stand my ground, it's not like you're encoding video's or anything because you can't encode a linux iso :D

23. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I would recommend Tomato Torrent. Built on BitTorrent and i find it very easy to use. It is also a tomato so what's not to like. :)

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Transmission.
    Stable and fast.

Vuze is a horror of useless *bling*.