Toshiba 4" retina display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, May 20, 2011.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Neat, but this strikes me as one of those things Apple will pass on. The difference won't be enough to take on the downsides, I think. (From Apple's perspective, anyway. I'm sure other phones will use it soon.)

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Considering most App developers still haven't update all of their apps to the current iPhone 4/iPod touch 4th Generation 960x640 resolution, I'm not sure if it'll be a good idea to introduce a 3rd resolution at 1280x720 (not yet though).

The screen looks nice though.

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Agreed. I don't think upgrading the screen would be a good idea right now. A lot of developers haven't even made the 'Retina' display update so to update to a new screen like this, it would cripple the majority of those older applications.

It's a beautiful screen though.

6. BlindMellon thread starter macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Nice to know Apple can go 4" and still keep Retina though.

7. rerelease macrumors regular

The whole idea behind the Retina transition was that pixel doubling and keeping the aspect same (3:2) meant minimal problems for both developers and consumers.

Going to a 4" screen like that would mean:
    1) different aspect ratio
    2) no pixel doubling

This creates huge fragmentation, not something the iPhone or its users really need.

Sticking to 3:2 is a must, as well as 960x640. The only way of getting a larger screen with these figures is to make it end-to-end, about 3.7".

8. LoganT macrumors 68020

I'm of the opinion that having different screen resolutions wouldnt create a fragmentation. IOS is such a popular platform that I don't think developers would ignore the new resolution.

9. rerelease macrumors regular

Many of them are still ignoring 960x640.

Current retina apps can basically be downscaled to fit on the 3G and 3GS, but with a different resolution, aspect ratio and pixel density, developers would have to make two considerably different versions of all their apps (or three, if they also support the iPad).

Sure, it's easy to start supporting the new hardware. But it also means screwing over the massive install base that still sports the 3:2 ratio.

10. BlindMellon thread starter macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

..or start writing apps that scaled automatically. Might be a good time for Apples devs to pull away from their archaic template design that hamstrings them to specific resolutions or nothing.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I think with the rumors going the way they are, I'd place my bet on this screen, if Apple decided to upgrade the screen at all. It makes sense, as they would still be within "retina" territory while introducing a new, bigger, and better screen size.

Yeah, the ratio would change, but compared to Android's fragmentation, I honestly doubt that developers would have a giant problem with it.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

What is this Android fragmentation you speak of?
    Android (2.x and higher) is resolution independent. ;)
    A good selling point for Devs as they don't have to redo their apps for every screen size/resolution.

As for Toshiba's display, I can see Apple using it.

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

14. aztooh, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

aztooh macrumors 6502a

Nexus Prime?

edit: Just realized I forgot it's rumored to have a 4.65" screen or whatever it is...but this seems logical as well.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

There is no reason the iPhone 5 cannot be a great phone. The parts are all there. If it ends up being an iPhone 4S, then it'll be Apple showing how arrogant it is.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would love to see this screen on the iPhone 5. 720p and 4"? That's perfect for me.

17. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Since when has Apple ever worried about the existing install base?

Floppy disk? Adios.

Optical drive? Peace out.

If apple wants to go big, they'll go big. Because they have realized that anything they do turns to gold.

Surely they would have some sort of converter or something to keep the integrity of the app graphics on those that haven't upgraded to look correct on the bigger screen.

18. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Crazy idea, but if they were to go with this (or a comparable display) why couldn't they implement it so any previous generation apps only use the center 960-by-640 pixels while new ones use the full 1280-by-720?

It seems a simple answer to keeping the developers happy and not forcing them to upgrade/ update everything on day one... or even allowing them to continue to develop apps that would work on previous generation iPhones as well as the newest.

It should go without saying that if an app were to use the 1280-by-720 resolution, it wouldn't be compatible with earlier iPhones, but with the advancements on the processor and possibly RAM, there's a good chance it wouldn't run properly on the older ones anyway.

19. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

wow looks great... could such a display fit an iPad resolution display into a 4" iPhone?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

20. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

Developers ignored retina because they can still get away with it. In other words, there are some lazy developers out there who settle for "good enough".

Apple shouldn't let apathetic software devs dictate their hardware design.

21. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Why would they do that? An HDTV can display a 1080p image and a 720p image on the same screen. Even though they are two different resolutions, both fill the entire screen and both look good.

Don't be ridiculous.

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

EXACTLY!!! The reason some apps aren't updated to Retina quality is because the app can still run and look decent as is.

If Apple changes the resolution to 1280x720 then the devs will be almost forced to it. I don't believe Apple would let something like that stop them from using such a stunning display.

I was hoping for a 4.3"+ screen but if Apple puts in a 720p 4" screen then it's an instant buy for me.

23. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Good point. It would be just the push these lazy developers need of they want their app to continue to get used.

24. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

It's a better screen all around. I'd welcome that in a nanosecond. Screw the developers. Most apps I use have been up to date for a while. If it takes time to catch up, it takes time. But you don't more forward in technology worrying like that.