Totally can't understand Apple....do you ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leez, Nov 26, 2008.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

Hi. I can't understand Apple, why they don't :

1. Release any Turn-by Turn app for now (!!!)...
    ...it would increase the number of customers, and more happy customers :) by, I would say 30%... not mentioning the increase of the usability of the iPhone, and obviously the profit. And ! The screen, perfect for Navigation, the phone is perfect for that ! I know, that I could buy any nav device for that, but what's the point ? Should I buy something for mail, radio, games, music as well ? Pointless, all in one is what I'm looking for. And iPhone would do that. How simple is that ?

2. Image:

[​IMG]

...release any theme managing software, to simply customize your phone (instead of having 1m+ customers using the same interface). Add another % of happy customers

3. Implement Flash...
    ... yeah, I know, speed (which for me is difficult to understand, because any 500MHz WM device can handle flash - and don't tell me to switch, because I won't ;) ), users writing flash apps instead of writing apps for app store etc. But come on, I can't watch most of the web without flash (they should allow at least to play movies handled by flash). They could release an application for flash movies only... don't you think ?

4. Video recorder...
    ...so simple, jailbreak to see...

...and, and, and...

Anyway do they see the REAL potential of this device ? Come on Mr. Steve Jobs, with all the respect, I do like my device, I'm pretty happy with it, but there is soooo much to be done to make it perfect. And it's sooo simple to do that :).

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'm really getting bored by these types of recurring threads...

4. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

...and I'm just frustrated ;p and bored about making a big "whoooa" every single Apple event... because they're announcing something - "not whoooa". Just my another thoughts about this...

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Do you know what I'm getting fed up with? Apple fanboys who flame individuals with perfectly legitimate complaints.
    The OP makes good points and the more of these threads there are the more chance we have of apple paying attention!

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You are extremely naive if you think these threads influence Apple.

7. svndmvn Guest

I understand both Apple and Apple's customers or potential customers complaining about the lack of some "simple" features.
    But I do not find mature any person getting angry about something not being available yet. It just doesn't seem hard to try and understand there are a lot of decisions to be made regarding any product, be it simple or complex, and Apple is known for being kinda careful about anything.
    There is no perfect device, be it a portable or a cellphone, the customers will always want more. If you have an iPhone, be it jailbroken or not, there have to be reasons that made you decide to buy one, I understand it doesn't cost much in the US, so maybe most of Macrumors' members that bought one and aren't happy about some features lacking didn't think too well before purchasing, but still..No need to get so upset, just have some faith and trust Apple, I doubt Apple checks this forums for requests, they already have a section on their site, and people even email Steve Jobs about futile things, in my opinion.
    I know if a lot of people go on Apple's site saying they will not buy iPhones or Macbooks because they lack some options/features things would HAVE to change.
    as I was saying earlier, no device is perfect and Macbooks (pros,airs etc),iPods,iPhones still have some advantages over others and I think we still have to wait for other "cool" features that are expected by us consumers. It's all pretty much about being careful and having priorities.

8. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

....naive ? Do you remember the announcement of iPhone 3G ? "You have asked for : GPS....(there was a short list), there you have it", something like that. Do you remember that ? Who asked ? Users, potential buyers, customers, US. Do you know how companies are checking the market needs ? By asking people what they need, what they would buy - and they are paying a lot of money to check that... but, communities, like this are the free source of user needs for them. So, yes, if you call it naive, I'm naive too. Even if 1 of 100 Apple employee reads it and give the feedback at the next Apple mind blowing managers meeting, it's worth it.

9. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

10. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

hehe :). I'm on 2 now, need a coffe though :).

And one more thing, do you know what makes this world better, more creative and moving forward ? People saying "I would make this better, I do have an idea". HTC is doing this right now, Nokia, even Microsoft (rumors about ZunePhone). Apple, these companies do have these things I'v mentioned, why wouldn't you do this better ? Speed up please :).

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree with you that companies do check with current and potential customers in regards to what they need/want/would buy/etc.

Were you an original AT&T iPhone owner? Did they email you a link to a 10-15 page online survey asking you all sorts of questions about rating your experience and which features you'd like to see next? IMO, that's how corporations gather their data... not by trolling forum posts on a fan site.

12. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Apple doesn't give a rat's ass what we want. They implement what Steve thinks we want, and what he thinks we should want

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Holy crap, that's ugly looking. wow.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Not totally true. Remember how Steve didn't want native third-party apps on the iPhone (he wanted only web apps). He also didn't want the iPod touch to have all of the same programs that the iPhone got (remember that it didn't originally ship with Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes?)

When enough people make enough noise, Apple sometimes listens.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Notice also the list of things that people have wanted since the first iPhone that that haven't given us, even though it would have been easier than new hardware:

Copy/paste
    MMS
    Turn-by-turn directions (could have even been done WITHOUT GPS, just on a time basis)
    Voice dialing
    Uncrippled Bluetooth functionality

NONE of these require hardware changes. Were Apple really listening to us, they could have put them in software 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 after the unlock fiasco.

16. leandroc76 macrumors regular

To the OP or anyone who continues to ask these questions:

***This isn't a bash on anyone, just a lesson on business models and a fairly unknown "word" to many non-business owners or leaders.***

Do yourself a favor,

Look up the stock prices on MSFT, DELL, and HP... these are the markets largest tech companies other than Google.

Then compare those prices with AAPL (Apple).

Ask yourself, "Why is Apple, when it is only at best 15% of the market, priced much higher per share."

The secret word: "Potential"

It's business... not the way you want, the way they tell you what you want. It's not a new practice. When your in a volatile business, your learn the from past and milk what works.

17. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

AT&T survey, yes I know that. I'm not from US. But think about it, average iPhone user : "I would like to receive emails faster", "More ringtones", "Emoticons in SMS", "Longer battery life", "Red phone cover", "Free iTunes Music", "More accurate signal in Google Maps".... they probably don't even know about the possibility of Turn-by-Turn, themes, flash etc. They're just using the phone as it is. No question asked. And when Apple announces something unthinkable for "them", they are like "I didn't know it's possible..." and they are starting to use that, getting used to it, to the fact, that (looking to the past) you can have internet in your pocket, you can have gps in your pocket, mail, video, radio etc etc. Innovation is not made by the masses, but individuals, who have ideas.

So with my pretty naive, as called by someone here, thinking, I do believe, that someone from Apple is looking for good ideas on fan websites...because good ideas are free here ;).

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Actually, AT&T specifically asked about Turn-by-Turn GPS and Flash in their last survey, so someone knew of the possibility. Matter of fact, the only thing in your OP that wasn't on that survey was themes...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/25/att_canvasses_buyers_on_future_iphone_features.html

Apple doesn't appear to need more "good ideas" for the iPhone. They appear to have a list of stuff already (as you mentioned) and are doing customer surveys to see in which order they should release these ideas.

19. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

*yaaaawwn...* *stretch* Zzzzzzzzzzzz........

20. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I dunno - and ICBA to find out - but perhaps the issued share capital of Apple is less than the others (e.g. fewer shares to s ell therefore a higher split/price)?

21. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Ok didn't saw the survey, that's a good move.

Quoting the article : "The questionnaire asks owners to pick the top five hardware or software add-ons they'd like to see and include many of the most prominent requests MADE IN THE COMMUNITY, including cutting and pasting text, built-in instant messaging, Flash/Java support and MMS messaging.".

And I'm not saying, that there are idiots in Apple to not to have any ideas, I sure that they've already thought about all of them, but all I can't understand is why they're adding them in a sort of step-by-step strategy... "What do you want to be added next year ? Copy-Paste ? There you go, next year..." and we are like "Yeeaaahhh" :), "What next ? Flash ?", next year: "Yeahhh". Please. Use the full potential of the device ! :).

22. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

I do agree, potential. Might be the strategy, going good though, but faster use of the potential as I said.

And one more magic word : "Design". Damn good design :)

23. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

24. bstpierre macrumors 6502

One thing I like about Apple is they know what a computer/music player/phone should be like. They don't go asking the customer what they want in these things. They know what the device should do and be like and they go make it happen.

I work in the auto industry and my company is always going and asking the customer what they want or what do they think of this feature and then we misinterpret their responses. I think if we don't know how to make a car or truck, we should get out of the business. I am sure BMW doesn't spend a lot of time asking its cutomers what a car should be like. BMW is the expert, they know what makes a great car better than the customer.

You can disagree with them, if you like, but you are really just blowing smoke until you go make a better one. It is like the guy who started PayPal. He thought he knew how to make a better car. He set out to make an electric roadster. It appears he did a pretty good job but he found out that it isn't as simple as it seems from the outside looking in.

Apple can't just release turn-by-turn. It has to exist first. I would rather Apple spent their time making so I can sync my calendar subscriptions over MobileMe to be honest. I am sure everyone has their own list of enhancements and priorities for them but only Apple is in a position to understand the ripple effect of each of those changes and what it takes to deliver them to the market without pissing everyone off about how poorly they perform.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Every time Apple releases an incremental update that adds one or two new features, it generates a ton of media interest. This step-by-step thing basically gets Apple free media time, keeping the iPhone in the news.