Touch 6: More or less likely after today (9/9/14) ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Plutonius, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm still not sure if today's event bods good or bad for a Touch 6 release in the future.

The Apple watch requires an iPhone to operate.
    Good: The Apple watch will not be replacing iPods.
    Bad: Apple will want to sell a lot of Apple watches so they will want people to get iPhones instead of the Touch.

The Classic was discontinued.
    Good: Less competition for the Touch although not many people bought the classic anyways.
    Bad: It shows that Apple is not afraid to stop building a product even though it was once a major product if the sales aren't good.

The Apple watch will not be out until 2015.
    Good/Bad: I originally thought that the Touch 6 would be pushed back to this spring (if updated at all) because of the effort to get the Apple watch out for Christmas. Since Apple will be working on the Apple Watch into next year, I can see the Touch 6 being announced in October along with the iPads. If not in October, then I'm doubtful there will be a Touch 6.

2. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

It will be announced in October or it will be announced quietly like the recent 16gb touch. Otherwise I don't think it will happen, this assumes there will be an iPad event in October. I haven't seen any confirmation of an event for October, in this case the next touch would be announced at the next iPad type event. The next iPad event might also include new iPods, could we be seeing a larger storage touch with the discontinuation of the classic?

If it doesn't happen it is for the reason they wouldn't want someone to buy a new touch thinking it is compatible with the watch when it most likely will not be.

3. shoes222 macrumors member

Don't fear. There will absolutely be a new iPod touch soon (probably October) for several reasons. The noncontract and child/youth market is still significant for Apple, and gets users hooked on iOS early. The new graphical and code improvements in iOS only incentivizes Apple to use the iPod Touch as their flagship model for handheld gaming, where users don't have to share a battery with a phone. The iPod touch is also huge with app developers. Several colleges that offer iOS programming courses buy iPod Touches in bulk for students to load code on.

The reason no iPod Touch was announced today was likely because with TWO different iPhone models being added today, Apple is using all of its manufacturing power on the new iPhones to meet pre-order demand.

4. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

They need to get it out for the holidays so it will be before then. I am only so eager because my 5th gen touch has battery issues and it's clear I need a new one. If there is no new touch looks like I am gonna be stuck with my mom's iPhone 4s as a touch which has a small screen and is very heavy and that is not good since my hands are terrible. And I will have to convince her to get a new iPhone which will be hard though she is on month 13 of her contract and she has to get to 20 months before upgrade.

I can't get another device since I NEED a pocket sized device, I am not paying apple $80 for battery replacement and I cannot afford any kind of smartphone with a monthly bill, and likely I will never be In a position in my life to be able to afford a smartphone and it's associated costs.

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I too believe there'll be another Touch, especially after the apparent discontinuation of the Classic, which makes it more like a streamlining of the iPod line-up. It may be a shrinking market, but it's not dead yet.

Choosing to EOL the Classic, rather than the Shuffle, Nano, or Touch made the most sense from Apple's perspective.

6. pr0230 Suspended

7. 617aircav Suspended

Touch will be updated to have a 4.7 screen. No A8 etc.

8. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

likely in October when they will announce the newest iPads

9. shoes222 macrumors member

Again...this is unequivocally false. They're not going to do a complete hardware revision to give it a 4.7 inch screen and still leave the A5 chip in there, when this is likely the last year the A5 will be supported. It will have an A7 chip at the very least. Remember, the entire reason for Apple updating the iPod touch in the first place is so it can play all the latest 3D games.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If the touch gets updated with a slightly lower price with iOS 8 pre-installed, then it is dead.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

With the iPhone 6 Plus now on the market, the rMini is eventually going to suffer the same fate as the Touch.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, they're definitely going to do an iPod Touch in the new smaller variant. I think they're also just wanting to skip the A7. It feels like it's going to be short lived like the A6.

13. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

i don't think they need an event for the iPads or iPods, unless there is a drastic change to the iPod line, which i really don't see

they'll probably just update everything one day and issue press releases.

i'm ready to buy a new updated iPad mini or a 5.5 iPod touch. whatever comes out first

14. volodymyrqa macrumors regular

Curious how people will react if they will found out that iPod Touch will not be updated.

15. addictive macrumors regular

Any new Touch will have A7 for Metal

There surely will be one more event before the end of the year. Apple still have a new OS X iteration to launch plus iPads (and iPods) for the holiday season.

Apple would be myopic (and they always play the long game) if they released new iPod Touch models without the A7 processor. Not only would this mean that all models would be 64bit but that the games which developers write for the Touch could take advantage of Metal API which means far more impressive graphics for gamers. I really believe this is what Apple will do.

Given the way Apple dropped the 32GB model for the iPhone 6 I could see Apple doing the same with the Touch 16GB, 64GB and 128GB.

16. shoes222 macrumors member

The Touch may die at some point, but that time is not now.

17. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

I can see a demand for a smaller screen iPod touch for people that exercise and for kids with small hands. Mostly the kids though, as there are better offerings for exercising (ipod nano, smart band/watch)
    Apple will probably keep some kind of 4 inch version and may also have the 4.7 inch version as well, with no 5.5.

18. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I wouldn't surprised if we saw an iPod Touch Plus. Basically a 5.5" WiFi-only device that is perfect for gaming and consuming media. It would be one hot seller!

19. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I am worried about the touch's future. Unlike the iPod classic, which could be sold for years without updates, Apple won't continue to sell the touch if it can't run the latest iOS. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to sell the nano and shuffle for people who want music players, but encourage potential touch customers to buy the iPad mini.

There's still hope for the October event or even a silent update, but we shouldn't get our hopes up too high. This could be the end of the line for the iPod touch. If they do one more model, I hope they don't cut corners like the 5th gen. Give it the A8. Give it the 8 MP camera.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That would get it too close to the iPhone. Apple has to do the delicate dance of maintaining market separation between the Touch, the iPhone and the iPad Mini. Physically, with the iPad's getting smaller over the past couple of years and the iPhones growing larger now, the Touch may feel the squeeze. Apple may still keep the Touch and ensure separation by using an A6 or A7 instead of the frontline SOC's.

21. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I was going to disagree with you but you're totally right! That would literally be an iPhone without the phone. I think the A6 is a little bit too old for Apple to use again (it's not even 64-bit) but the A7 seems pretty likely. And since the iPod touch has always been thinner than the iPhone, I wouldn't be surprised if they left the camera the same as the fifth gen.

22. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

upon disagreeing with apple for releasing bigger screen phone, Iphone 6 is exactly what people looking for. An ios device with Android screen.

Apple is producing massive amount and most have already pre-ordered until Dec ship i think. Then once orders are secured, apple will release Touch 6 big screen in Oct or Nov to sell to those who want a phabet but dont want to put in so much money or still under previous phone contract. Give it an A7 to match Iphone 5s bioshock exclusive preinstalled starting with 64GB USD 299, am i going too far with this????

23. AxoNeuron, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

This chart is likely the death sentence of the iPod touch.

[​IMG]

It's stunning to me how quickly the iPod product line is winding down, I mean in 12 months sales plummeted by more than half!

In the holiday quarter of 2008 Apple sold more than 22 million iPods. This year in the holiday quarter they will be lucky to even sell a third of that. We're seeing sales numbers these days for the iPod that haven't been this low since 2004. The fewer iPod touches they sell the less and less attention they will pay to it. I think we've already seen this, the current iPod touch is from 2012. I highly, highly doubt they will update it at all this year, except perhaps some of the internals. And they'll probably only do that when it becomes cheaper for them to put in a new chip than to keep production of the A5.

It really is all about the iPhone and iPad. The iPod touch isn't even a blip compared to them. I personally hope that they should keep it AND come out with a 4.7 and 5.5 version, if only for developers to be able to program apps for the new screen sizes without having to buy two iPhones. Apple benefits more from small and medium income developers than it loses from tiny iPod sales.

24. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Thanks for bringing some stats to the discussion. Knowing how non-sentimental Apple is products past their prime; this does not look very good for the iPod. It's also telling that it has been a while since an iPod got any screen time during an Apple Keynote.

25. Scorpion008 macrumors member

I think the iPod touch is declining because apple gave it second rate specs. If the iPod touch was equal to the same year's iphone in all ways but the phone, I'd be half surprised if it didn't oursell the iphone itself. I think it's stupid for apple to cut the iPod touch because it is decreasing in sales because of a stupid series of descisions the exec/design team made to keep iphone sale canobolization down.