Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
After I put my MacBook on sleep and leaving it idle (with lid open) for around 15mins, when I try to wake it up by placing (not pressing) the finger on touchID, it doesn't respond regardless of it being plugged or unplugged.

And instead when I press the touchID , the screen flashes for 0.5second and goes dark without unlocking. (show in first video)
I then have to press the button again to unlock the mac.

Also the touchID works intermittently as shown in the second video.

I am using Macbook Pro M1 Pro 2021 14inch.

I'd appreciate if other users could confirm if they are also facing the same behavior.

X3n0n

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
France
Same on 16 M1 Pro, and for what it worth, on monterey 12.0.1 it was working fine, on 12.1 I have the same thing as you.
So just a software bug, let's hope it will be fixed in the next release.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Same on 16 M1 Pro, and for what it worth, on monterey 12.0.1 it was working fine, on 12.1 I have the same thing as you.
So just a software bug, let's hope it will be fixed in the next release.
Thank you for confirming. I hope it's a software glitch otherwise I am considering to return it back.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I have escalated this issue with a help of an Apple advisor to the engineering department. They collected logs from my Mac and also the videos I attached to this post. I’ll keep you guys posted once they get back with the investigation result.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I haven't upgraded Monterey yet and don't see the behavior so it seems like a 12.1 issue.

I absolutely love Touch ID and Magsafe on this thing so that would be a pretty big bug to me. I don't see a reason to upgrade at this point but will keep an eye out for the fix to this problem in the next maintenance release.

Reactions: iamutkarshtiwari

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I haven't upgraded Monterey yet and don't see the behavior so it seems like a 12.1 issue.

I absolutely love Touch ID and Magsafe on this thing so that would be a pretty big bug to me. I don't see a reason to upgrade at this point but will keep an eye out for the fix to this problem in the next maintenance release.
Thanks for sharing.
Which OS version was you Mac shipped with? Also what model is you Macbook?

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
It shipped with 12.0.1 and that's what it is running.

I have the 16 inch M1 PRO with 32 GB/1 TB.

My son is getting a 14 inch model from his workplace and I'd guess that it has 12.1 installed.
I appreciate your response.
If it's not too much to ask, could you please update us here after your son gets his new Mac, whether he is also facing the same issue with touch id? This will give lot of users a relief knowing it is just a software bug, not hardware.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I appreciate your response.
If it's not too much to ask, could you please update us here after your son gets his new Mac, whether he is also facing the same issue with touch id? This will give lot of users a relief knowing it is just a software bug, not hardware.

Will do. I think that he is picking it up either this week or next week. His office is basically WFH so he has to arrange with someone to show up to pick it up and drop off his old one.

Reactions: iamutkarshtiwari

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
After downgrading to 12.0.1 yesterday, this issue doesn't happen anymore. Definitely a software bug in 12.1 Monterey.

Reactions: pshufd

Gryphon1989

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
I signed up here just to reply to this thread. I called Apple support 6 times, they couldn't find anything. If I create a new user, it's good for some time, then it happens again. Can't find the reason. Took it to the Genius bar, they could reproduce the issue, then they sent my 16'' MBP 2021 to their repair center or whatever they call it. Came back today with a notice that they didn't find anything, all is good. That's really frustrating for a $3500 machine.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My son hasn't gotten his machine yet. He has an email into his manager asking when he can pick it up. I am somewhat tempted to create an external drive with 12.1 to test this out.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I signed up here just to reply to this thread. I called Apple support 6 times, they couldn't find anything. If I create a new user, it's good for some time, then it happens again. Can't find the reason. Took it to the Genius bar, they could reproduce the issue, then they sent my 16'' MBP 2021 to their repair center or whatever they call it. Came back today with a notice that they didn't find anything, all is good. That's really frustrating for a $3500 machine.
I am sorry that you are going through so much trouble. For what it's worth, you could try downgrading your Mac to 12.0.1 Monterey following this tutorials of Mr. Macintosh for downloading and making a bootable usb thumbdrive . I am sure it will solve this touch id bug because it's definitely a software bug as from what I have inferred from several anecdotal experiences of other Monterey users. Trust me.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
My son hasn't gotten his machine yet. He has an email into his manager asking when he can pick it up. I am somewhat tempted to create an external drive with 12.1 to test this out.
I'd rather recommend not to upgrade to 12.1.
Since your son is already about to get his new Mac with the latest version, we can consolidate our theory based on it. No need to sacrifice yourself.

Dj Rated R

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
I downgraded also. I can confirmed its a 12.1 bug but not enough people are reporting this because most are not aware of it. Don't close the laptop lid. Leave it open let it go to sleep for a few mins. then press the sleep wake Touch ID button and watch the screen sometime flicker into a black screen. On 12.0.1 it doesn't do this like 12.1 Monterey. Apple refuses to believe it's on their end but it is. DON'T LET APPLE SEND YOUR COMPUTER OFF FOR REPAIRS ITS SOFTWARE NOT HARDWARE CONFIRMED

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Son's laptop arrived from work and I think that it will take him a day to get it up and running but he just told me that it's running 12.0.1. My guess is that his workplace has a standard image with their work software pre-installed and that they haven't updated to 12.1 yet. So it could take a while for his workplace to validate 12.1. I suspect that he won't see the problem as it appears that it occurs if you leave the laptop open. He closes the laptop as there's sensitive stuff on it.

I do the same but that's just out of habit so it's possible that I wouldn't see the problem if I upgraded to 12.1. I don't really have a reason to upgrade to 12.1 at this time.

Last edited:

rcma

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
I have the same issue and I think it started also around the time I installed 12.1
I cannot recall having this issue before.
@iamutkarshtiwari please keep us updated about the response you get from Apple! This is really annoying.

rcma

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
I talked to the Apple Support in the meantime. It seems my issue is solved (at least for now) with the workaround they provided.
I had to remove one of my saved fingers from the touchID and re-added it again. Now it seems to be working again without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.