Touch ID / lock screen bug in 8.4?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by batting1000, Jun 30, 2015.

1. batting1000 macrumors 604

Just got the 8.4 update installed on my iPad Air 2 and I'm noticing something with Touch ID and the lock screen. Normally, if you press the home button and leave your finger on it, the lock screen would appear and then quickly transition to the home screen.

Now, I'm noticing when I press the home button and leave my finger on it, the screen stays off for a second and then comes on as the home screen animation starts, pretty much skipping over the lock screen.

Anyone else noticing slightly different behavior with unlocking with Touch ID on 8.4?

2. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

I'm not seeing that here on my iPad Air 2.

Lock screen appears and then quickly off to the home screen.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I think it's doing the same thing it's always done. I don't see anything like what you describe.

4. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Gonna do a restore and see if it fixes it. There seems to be a noticeable delay between pressing the home button and the screen turning on.

5. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Still seeing this issue...hmm...only does it if I've left the iPad locked for a little while. If I turn the screen on right after turning it off, there's no issue.

6. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

Works fine for me as well.

7. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

8. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Weird...i'm gonna go back to 8.3 and see if I'm still having the issue.

9. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Seems fine on 8.3. Must be an issue w/ 8.4...not sure why

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Came on here to see if anyone else was having this problem. It is not happening all the time but maybe 4-5 times out of 10 unlocks.

How did you go back to 8.3?

11. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Got the .ipsw from https://ipsw.me/ which has the official Apple links

Did alt/option + restore in iTunes

Reported the issue to Apple

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not really a problem/issue per se, right? Basically more of a (weird) glitch at best?

13. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Well whatever you wanna call it lol
    The point is, the screen is expected to turn on almost immediately after pressing the home button as would be the case with any iOS device or Mac. I reverted back to 8.3 and it works as expected. I did a clean restore of 8.4 earlier and I was still having the issue/problem/glitch/bug.

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Exactly. What does it matter really if you "see" the lock screen for half a second if you're unlocking it anyways and wanting to go right to the home screen.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

I undersigned that it's not the expected outcome, I was just trying to figure out if there's an actual problem or issue that is being experienced in relation to it, or simply that it's just not the expected outcome for a small thing that is essentially inconsequential (but, still, different from what is normally expected).

16. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

It's not what I "want" to happen, it's what has happened on iOS 8.3 and prior. The screen should turn on quickly after I press the home button which it does on 8.3 and prior, not 1-2 seconds after I press it. It's only occurring on my iPad, not my iPhone.

17. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Seeing the exact same issue. If I lock the iPad, and then press the home button while Touch ID kicks in to unlock, there is about a 1-2 second delay with a black screen. Then, just as the OP states, the screen flys in, but you don't see the lock screen at all. It seems like the home button isn't registered for the first second or two. The home button should trigger the lock screen immediately. Not a huge issue, just bizarre. I'm sure others are seeing this, just not noticing it. Pay attention to when you actually press the home button and continue to keep your finger there waiting for Touch ID. It's usually so fast, you'd miss it if you blinked...but in this case, it's very apparent. Also, as the op said, it doesn't happen immediately...the iPad screen needs to be off for maybe a minute or so.

18. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Glad there's another person with the same issue. It bothered me so I just went back to 8.3 and it's working fine again.

19. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Only acknowledged that this was even a thing after I read your post! I did notice it earlier, but shrugged it off. As fast as the Air 2 is, sometimes iOS stutters with animations...but after reading your post, I was able to replicate it again with the screen off for about a minute. Very strange...

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems more like the screen simply doesn't respond fast enough to come on before the TouchID already unlocks the phone so by time the backlight comes on its already off the lockscreen and onto showing the unlocked screen.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

That essentially inconsequential difference enough to go back a whole update?

22. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Keeps up perfectly in 8.3. I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually...I've reported it already

23. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Yeah, I'm obsessive over small things, I find it bothersome for some reason. There's nothing in 8.4 that I must have so I'll just wait and see what happens.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hopefully, but then again there have been bugs that have been there for some time that aren't of much impact that haven't been addressed in update after update.

25. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

I think it did it even without Touch ID on when I tried earlier and it didn't occur when I had the iPad plugged in