Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
How is Touch ID on iPhone 6 for all of you?

Mine is very inconsistent. It seemed to work for a while and then slowly got worse. Now it gives me "try again" more often than not. I also noticed the home button feels crunchy. I'm taking mine back to Apple to hopefully get it replaced.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
Mine has worked FLAWLESSLY. I have had the 6 Plus for over a week and a half now and it has not even once failed to recognize my print.

On the 5S, it felt like it failed to recognize 1/4 of the time.

I really feel that they made some great improvements on Touch ID

Polyphonie

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Toronto
It's my first experience with TouchID and after setting up once (during the initial setup of the phone), it's been flawless ever since. I've two fingers set up: the thumb on my left hand and the index finger on my right. It feels almost instantaneous. And this is on an iPhone 6 that I got just 3 days ago.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Just make sure your finger is not wet when you touch it, otherwise the water particles throw it off and give you the nasty "Try Again" message.

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Works perfectly whereas my previous 5s didn't always work apple seem to have improved Touch ID with the iPhone 6

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Mine rarely works. But I've had issues with my fingers (dry skin, eczema-type stuff) for years and I swear most of my fingerprints are gone. I'm sure that's why. I know someone with similar issues and Touch ID often doesn't work for them either. I turned mine off. Not sure if that has anything to do with your problems.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
If you have problems with Touch ID one trick you might try is to use two or three of the fingerprint slots for the same finger. Example I have my right thumbprint saved in the first two slots and my right index finger in the third slot. I have very little trouble with Touch ID using this system. I'd say it works 99% of the time on the first try.

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I tried registering the same thumb multiple times and it was still failing. My hands were clean and dry, I even cleaned the home button just in case. It seems to have serious problems registering the very centre of my thumb, it kept saying try a different finger. I hope I'm not the problem because it's such a cool feature but very frustrating when it doesn't work.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Much better than my 5S. The 6 is what the 5S should have been

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
If you have problems with Touch ID one trick you might try is to use two or three of the fingerprint slots for the same finger. Example I have my right thumbprint saved in the first two slots and my right index finger in the third slot. I have very little trouble with Touch ID using this system. I'd say it works 99% of the time on the first try.

I did this on my 5S and my 6+. But I have to say that the 6+ is much more consistent than my 5S. I only get the try again message when my hands are wet.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
How is Touch ID on iPhone 6 for all of you?

Mine is very inconsistent. It seemed to work for a while and then slowly got worse. Now it gives me "try again" more often than not. I also noticed the home button feels crunchy. I'm taking mine back to Apple to hopefully get it replaced.

Have you tried deleting your stored fingerprints and then re-adding them?

I've probably used it over 100 times since getting the phone already and I only had it reject my finger once, and that was because I didn't put the right part of my thumb on it.

----------

I tried registering the same thumb multiple times and it was still failing. My hands were clean and dry, I even cleaned the home button just in case. It seems to have serious problems registering the very centre of my thumb, it kept saying try a different finger. I hope I'm not the problem because it's such a cool feature but very frustrating when it doesn't work.

Try one or more of your other fingers and see if it still gives you problems. If it looks like your thumb might be the issue, try the touchID demo on the iPhone 6 units in an Apple Store and see if those give you the same "try a different finger" error. That should isolate whether it's your phone or your thumb.

If all else fails... get a new thumb.

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
It's seems like it degrades throughout the day. Yesterday it worked perfectly in the morning then gradually one thumb stopped being recognised while the other still worked, then eventually it wouldn't work with either. The night before I couldn't get it to register my thumb after deleting the fingerprint.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Always works, never had a failure. I also have it trained for both thumbs and both index fingers.

You have never had a failure?

Wow, every once in a while mine does not respond, sometimes several times in a row. My 6 works better than the 5S, but it is not perfect! Do not use it or passcode to unlock my phone.

Last edited:

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Mine has worked perfectly every time, never once been rejected.

I didn't realise how brilliant a feature Touch ID was until I got the 6, perfect.

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Mine seemed to work perfectly at first but it wouldnt work at all the night before last.

I washed my hands, wiped the home button and unregistered my fingerprints but it wouldn't even let me register them again. Kept saying try another finger, which I tried and it still didn't work. Eventually it did and managed to register the same thumbs twice but it was still having trouble recognising me. I also tried registering it by holding my thumb head on and by holding it the way I would naturally, didn't make a difference.

The next morning it worked perfectly for a few hours then it started playing up again. Same thing this morning, it worked for a while and now it's having trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.