Touch ID works what percent of the time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushman4, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Touch ID Works what % of the time

1. 90 - 100%

101 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. 80 - 90%

14 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. 70 - 80%

20 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. 60 - 70%

15 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Less than 50% of the timw

13 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. bushman4, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

bushman4 macrumors 68000

2. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Haven't used mine since the first day I did the "hmm, cool" set-up, but curious to know how it has worked out in everyday use for folks.

3. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

4. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

5. Shoco macrumors newbie

If you position your finger properly on the button it's gonna work every time.

In other words, 60% of the time it works every time xD

6. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

if I have cold or wet fingers it doesn't work.

if I sit slightly at different angle it doesn't work.

so I voted 60-70%

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Works 1st or 2nd time most of the time. I haven't retaught a finger in at least 6 weeks (bought on launch day).

In the first few weeks' useage, I noticed a change in accuracy depending on the my skin condition - for instance, after showering, I wouldn't have a lot of success with the sensor, so I would re-teach the finger. It'd be ok for a while, but would slowly degrade. I read about the following procedure, gave it a try, and haven't needed to re-teach a finger since.

One way to improve accuracy (for at least myself and another family member) was to accelerate the automatic "learning" over time by watching the finger list while slightly moving the finger "out of range", then back in - essentially "pushing the envelope" of what TouchID reads as a positive ID. This is something TouchID is supposed to do anyway; the procedure is just a way to quickly expand the particular finger's data set.

8. mobutt macrumors 6502

Originally worked probably like 60% of the time, after getting it replaced it works like 98% of the time if I had to guess.

9. drew0020, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Mine works seven out of ten times. If it doesn't register the first time it usually doesn't register. Strange, but most of the times I think it is due to hands being wet from washing them, etc.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mine works all the time and I've never had it not work.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's pretty reliable but it does tend to not work on my right thumb for some reason.

I've been working outside the last two nights in the 0 - -9 degree weather and I had to turn off TouchID till I get home or back inside because it doesn't seem to work OK in those cold temps. It's likely just the way the cold changes the skin.

12. JackSpearo macrumors regular

100% of the time, honestly. I'm shocked that others are having problems with theirs.

13. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

"It works 60% of the time, everytime."

But in all seriousness, I would say it works about 98% of the time for me. The few times it hasn't was when my hands were sweaty and I guess the Touch ID couldn't pick up my finger print. Otherwise, it works flawlessly.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It works so well that this is the first iPhone since the very first in 2007 that I actually lock. I don't even keep my iPad locked.

17. marf1million macrumors regular

Same here, I've never put a code lock on any of my iPhones until now. Works 100% of the time for me.

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You guys are making me think that I must have a hardware problem. There is a very long thread on the Apple Support Forums about Touch ID issues, and I have tried everything in there. No matter what I do, my Touch ID follows the exact same pattern every time:

1) For the first hour, it works 100%, regardless of the finger or the temperature or anything else.

2) After the first hour, it starts to degrade and requires several attempts to unlock the phone.

3) After about 90 minutes, it won't work at all.​

Here are the things I've tried:

• Rescanning according to the "Jo Fo" method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3r8AGn9PCI&feature=youtu.be

• Registering the same finger twice

• Always using the fleshiest part of the finger and covering the entire button

• Keeping the button and the fingers very clean

• Hard-Resetting the phone​

Hardware problem?

19. marf1million macrumors regular

Sounds possible all right.

20. skipcooney macrumors newbie

Me too

My experience matches yours, except that I took my phone to my local Apple store and saw the technician, twice. Both times they acted like they had rarely seen this problem, then they gave me a replacement phone. I restored the new phones rather than setting them up as new to avoid many hours of configuring. Both replacement phones behaved just like the first phone. In my case I think I can rule out a hardware problem. I am hoping it's a software problem that gets fixed in 7.1.

BTW, I was surprised by the results of this survey. I would love to be able to unlock with touch id.

21. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I have been using Touch ID since I got my 5s, but it seemed to work 70% of the time, which was somewhat disappointing. I got a replacement from Apple for a completely unrelated issue and my new phone works so well with TouchID, so much better than the old one. Probably one out of 50 times it won't read properly and I have to quickly rescan. Much quicker than entering my 4 digit pass code!

22. Wayward macrumors member

Works about 95% of the time for me. I was having trouble with it at first, but it turns out I wasn't placing my finger on the sensor properly.

I was placing my thumb on the sensor too far toward the tip. Now I place the center of my thumb on the sensor and it works much more reliably.

23. Shoco, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Shoco macrumors newbie

A good trick I've found to improve the accuracy of Touch ID is to configure your fingerprint with your finger crooked not centered, just like it would be when holding the phone with just one hand and trying to touch the sensor with the thumb.