Touch now 'officially' a PDA MP3 player?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by velvetme, Jul 17, 2008.

1. velvetme macrumors newbie

Adding Apps to the touch really puts my mind over the edge as far as the device is concerned mostly because 'music player' is like 1 App... 1 device. Apps meaning plural "applications" that aren't WEB based, well that just made my device into... well as many devices as I can turn it into.

With the release of 2.0 I am just wondering if it can now finally be called the worlds first successful hybrid mp3/pda (that doesn't completely suck and is sexy enough to carry proudly!). If this update does indeed bridge the gap to make the touch a good standalone pda/web browser that also happens to be a fantastic mp3 player... well what's left?

I guess I am agreeing with the people who think that the touch may not be in for much of an 'overhaul', save for perhaps a memory bump?

and how many people would really want to carry it as a PDA with perhaps not as much emphasis on the music aspect?

2. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

Well this has replaced my Axim X30, with the inclusion of apps. ;)

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I totally agree! Especially with an Office app on the verge, it is certainly an effort at reviving the thought-dead PDA!

I used to carry around a Tungston and felt like a total nerd every time I had to whip it out to keep my life organized. But now, I don't have to! AND waaay better games, mail, internet, etc. than any Palm EVER had!

4. velvetme thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly. instead of people seeing you on your "pda" they will see you "playing with your ipod"...

for sheer 'cool' it's a no-brainer. i think apple really did it. and it was kinda impossible, which is amazing.

5. kepner macrumors 6502

The only better PDA I can think of is the iPhone.

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yea, some office apps or even iWorks apps, would make this a homerun device. Looking forward to that.

7. qacjared macrumors regular

Yes my iPod is my PDA. Infact it is the perfect email device. I do not even use Mail.app on my Macbook anymore since it just is so clumsy compared to MobileMail. My iPod makes a perfect mobile contact manager and I never used iCal until I started using the iPod Calendar app. I haven't even re-synced all my music back to my iPod since I upgraded to the 2.0 firmware since I almost exclusively use it as a PDA now.

The only reason I use my mac is because it has Copy and Paste, a full qwerty key-broad, more storage, and can download podcasts. Otherwise Id ditch the thing.

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Oh, and to make the Touch even MORE perfect as a PDA, us MobileMe users have the ultimate in syncing!

I can't tell you how much I love EVERYTHING being in sync between my home iMac, work G5, Dell laptop, and iPod!

9. qacjared macrumors regular

You Know plaxo has been doing this for years and they even support way more stuff like gmail. Of course it is not push but I don't get the whole point of push if your not a business user. Oh and with the facebook and myspace apps the iPod suddenly becomes not only the best PDA/Music Player in history it also becomes the best Mobile Social Networking tool too. For extra kicks it also triples as the best remote ever!

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Huh. I've never heard of plaxo! You're right about push, but it is really neat :) haha. It does make life just that much easier.

The Facebook app is incredible (esp. implementation of Facebook Chat!!) and the WiFi remote has to be the greatest app around. So simple, so functional, so great!

11. qacjared macrumors regular

Yea I use plaxo as the backend to keep my contacts and calendars in sync between my Mac(and by extension my iPod which syncs to it), my Google Account, and my Ubuntu Box.

Of course with 10.5.3 iPod/iPhone uses get to sync with google for free for contacts atleast so its less of a big deal these days. Thats what I love about Web 2.0 everything is in sync for me! for free!

12. velvetme thread starter macrumors newbie

Podcasts are important, at least for me. I have to get all the tech ones but unless I remember, I can't take them with me as like daily radio shows for the morning drive.

Ideally I would want a Touch to 'grab' them over wifi every day for me?

13. qacjared macrumors regular

If you haven't upgraded to 2.0 yet there is a jailbreak app called mobilecast that does exactly that.

14. velvetme thread starter macrumors newbie

15. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I ditched my Palm TX once I installed the 2.0 upgrade and the apps. I am more than thrilled with my itouch PDA. I love mobile.me and push. It was always such a pain transferring calendar data between my palm and my mac. I hate the palm calendar. Now when I am out and on the go and I add a new appointment I know it will show up on my other 3 macs @ home.
    Plus now I can read books, watch a movie or listen to music or play a game on my itouch when I am having to wait for buses or between appointment. Total entertainment in one incredibly compact machine

16. speedbird macrumors newbie

I am currently carrying both my T|X and my iPod Touch side by side. As soon as there is an app that does e.x.a.c.t.l.y. the following:

1. Assign Categories
    2. Ability to add Notes (memos) to each category (not to-do items)
    3. Ability to SEARCH memos in any category

I can't believe such a simple app has not appeared in the app store on iTunes, I don't particularly care how much it'll cost..

That day.., I will bury my palm with military honors.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think calling it a PDA undersells it. It's a mobile computing platform. If they would add bluetooth or IR support for an external keyboard, and allow printing to wifi or bluetooth enabled printers, I'd sell my laptop.

There's a good product idea someone: Make me a wifi keyboard that will fold up to the same LxW as the Touch.

18. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Sorry, the only way that my Sony TH55 is going to get replaced by my ipod is when they include copy and paste, a good office suite, better intergration of PIM like the organizer in TH55 and when they have a nice keyboard to work on. Yeah, it is a good web browser and email client but for my PIM and Office work, not yet.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Dark Angel (Ms. Alba), you can do anything you want. Please don't kill me. ;)

[​IMG]

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If they made that, I'd sell my MBA and buy it tomorrow.

...either that or KEEP the MBA and buy it tomorrow :D

21. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

well, this basicly replaced my computer, so i would more call it a portable computer...

22. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I can think of a LOT of better ones, and they're all from Palm :(

This doesn't support Office Apps, doesn't nail down the basic PIM apps, doesn't have cut and paste, and AFAIK doesn't have any universal search, and until it does it's really not in the same league.

I am SOOOO jealous that you've got a TH55. Hang on to that thing! Sony's hardware was sooooo good and I wish they still made it. Palm's hardware is really poorly made, but there's no choice now.

23. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I agree, Palm has some good PDA's, well, the Treo is very nice for its one handed use and treo keyboard shortcuts. I'm still waiting to see what Nova will be when it arrives.

Oh believe me, I am keeping my TH55 alive. I too wish Sony was in the PDA market, they spoiled me greatly with their Clie's. I wanted the VZ90 but that was lil expensive but oh how the OLED display made me want it oh so much. I feel the TH55 is the best sony had made. :D

24. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

If I had realized it at the time, I might have stocked up on a bunch of those suckers! Of course I'd have to be somehow finding replacement batteries by now...

I hope Nova is awesome! It's only more than FIVE YEARS late :p

Problem is my carrier (U.S. Celluar) doesn't have ANY Palm devices and hasn't in years. On top of that, they're now requiring a data plan just to use a smartphone with them. Sure I'd LIKE to be able to browse the web and whatever, but I can't afford an extra $30/month for a feature I don't need.

25. Discostu7 macrumors member

Replaced my PDA for an Ipod Touch

Right away when I saw that Apple released the Ipod touch from the beginning I knew I had to get one right away because it would easily replace my Palm Tungsten E2. The Palm was great for it's time but now it's too slow and you can't do all the things you want on it. You had to convert videos to watch on your palm pilot or you can't use certain features because there wasn't enough available memory which was problematic for myself. The only feature I will miss is the word processing feature but I can live without it now. Im happy with the Touch especially with the 2.0 update. More applications will be made and hopefully more will be free.