Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I didn't get a 4 because I was holding out for a bigger screen. I really want to keep buying Apple products. But at this point, if the phone is delayed or the screen is staying the same size, I am going to have to start checking out some of the HTCs. My 3G is almost unusable since OS4.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
One even more important change, which I KNOW they won't do, is use a universal radio chip that can support GOS and CDMA networks - no more having to buy a new phone every time you switch carriers - oops, that cuts agains Apple's AND the carriers interest - not much traction there.

It could potentially reduce Apple's manufacturing costs, so there may be some traction there.

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
If the iPhone 5 is delayed as much as some suppliers are speculating ( in to next year ), the bright spot would be that the iPhone 4 price would likely get slashed to keep sales going. I'd still ride it out with my 3Gs though...unless I gave in to the temptation to try another platform.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Good, bad, right or wrong, Apple is not going to release any new hardware until it rolls out its "cloud." And after it flips the switch on the cloud, there will be a month or two or three of integrating the cloud into existing hardware before they roll out anything new.

No iPhone until late fall at earliest. Probably not until next year.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
thanks for continuing to screw us 3gS owners over Apple...

My phone is on its last leg, dropping calls all of the time, have to charge it 3 times a day. If I had known this, I would have already bought a 4...

As someone with a Silver Grey ZHP, I say to you 'life is too short' to be frustrated over such matters. My iPhone 3g s died last week and I too resisted buying the iPhone 4 since I really was waiting for the iPhone 5. Well, I had my iPhone 4 for a week now and I love it. It is leaps and bounds over my 3g s. The Retina Display is drool-worthy (as drool worth as my '04 Silver Grey ZHP:)) and the improved phone signal is worth the upgrade. The iPhone 4 is a very capable phone that I believe I did get my money's worth (even as the iPhone 5 is schedule to arrive sometime within the next several months).

If you are that frustrated over waiting to buy the 'latest and greatest'-well there are bigger things to get upset and frustrated over (althought I must admit I do share your pain).

As some wrote earlier on this thread-I also believe that this 'spec race' will not last too long-software will become more prominent.

Last edited:

Espekayen

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
UK
Some people need to chill out. If your 3GS (or whatever) is getting old and you need a new phone, then go and get one. Why are you waiting if your phone needs to be replaced? Either you can wait for the new iPhone or you can't. It will come out when Apple are good and ready to release it. They owe us nothing and have never made any official annoucements regarding the release date for the new iPhone.

Bottom line is this: you have two choices...

1) If you're not happy with waiting for the iPhone 5, then there are plenty of other phones to choose from. Vote with your feet.

2) If you want to stick with Apple, then stop complaining and just wait.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
If the iPhone 5 is delayed as much as some suppliers are speculating ( in to next year ), the bright spot would be that the iPhone 4 price would likely get slashed to keep sales going. I'd still ride it out with my 3Gs though...unless I gave in to the temptation to try another platform.

i was tempted to try apple for a year, and me poking my nose around this area of the forum trying to see when the next one drops. Sucks that if they do delay this one i wont be trying them out this year. I would love to do such a thing so each year i can bounce back and forth from android to ios to windows 7 give them all time to keep improving.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I didn't get a 4 because I was holding out for a bigger screen. I really want to keep buying Apple products. But at this point, if the phone is delayed or the screen is staying the same size, I am going to have to start checking out some of the HTCs. My 3G is almost unusable since OS4.
Enjoy! HTC looks a very capable phone. Cheers! It sounds like you need an upgrade, too. I'm on the original iPhone — but I know whatever I buy will have to do me for 2-3 years so I'm waiting on iPhone 5, no matter what.

Good, bad, right or wrong, Apple [...] it rolls out its "cloud." [...] flips the switch [...] No iPhone until late fall at earliest. Probably not until next year.
Nice insight... your sources?

-------

I can understand frustration — feeling it too, just not venting — the tea leaves all pointed to new iPhones in June and then, Blammo. But we have to realize that Apple does not want to be predictable. We don't really know just exactly how the JAPAN devastation affected Apple and how it will deliver its products. That could be very well what has delayed things. If this is the case, patience is all we can give anybody at this point. They lost so much.

Last edited:

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
iPhone 4's screen is still great compare to other phones. Pushing larger screen will create additional work to developers because of different resolutions. Although if Apple thought a larger screen size is really the way to go, they decided it to be the standard screen size in several years to come.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Apple's probably gone to DEFCON 1 after last year's prototype theft, so the iPhone 5 is delayed because everything is taking longer due to security clearances.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
The iPhone4 is way behind demand in Latin America. I can speak for 2 countries, where the price of the unlocked version is between 1100 and 1600 US$. An that price is where the minimum wage is about 250 - 400 US$.

In those countries, the BlackBerry is cheaper and more easy available. So yes, RIM is very very strong outside USA.

I hope Apple could make iPhones faster and make it more available. Until that happen BlackBerry will be #1 outside USA. :(

Where is my iPhone mini! ;)

mjuarez

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
The screen may not change on the next revision. So there may be no need to change production.

Exactly. If AAPL leaves the retina display untouched, and just adds the A5 chip, a new NFC chip, and with whatever goodies iOS 5.0 will bring, that to me is a whole new phone, definitely worthy of the 5.0 moniker.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Nice insight... your sources?

Just my general awesomeness. ;)

I obviously have no sources. But I do think there are a few definitive patterns Apple follows. One of them is this - don't cannibalize sales or media attention by rolling out multiple new/big items at the same time; rather, allow for a couple of months at a minimum between a new iPhone and a new iPod line, or between a new iPad and a big refresh of Macs. Another pattern is that when they roll out a very new product (such as the iPhone 1, or Apple TV, etc.), make it fairly bare bones so that people can get used to it, so that it can begin an easy integration into your life, your home, and so on.

So why do I mention that? Because we all know (at least with 93% certainty) that the North Carolina data center is Apple's entry into some form of cloud computing. We also know that Amazon just threw the gauntlet down by unveiling its cloud. We also know things are moving fast with cable networks, studios, etc. racing to get apps and content onto your mobile device, especially your iPad.

All the while, the iPhone sales appear to be kicking ass, and besides a larger screen, there doesn't seem to be anything that Joe Public is fretting about not having in the iPhone. For the average non-macrumors.com crowd, the iPhone 4 is plenty sufficient and remains in high demand.

So, in my mind, I smush all of that "data" together, and I believe strongly that there is a blackboard in Steve Jobs office that looks at the forest - not the trees - and shows April/May media event to roll out cloud, and shows the summer as an educational time for consumers to begin integrating cloud into their lives, late summer a new line of iPods that make strong use of the cloud, and perhaps (emphasis on perhaps) a new iPad the has strong cloud integration for holiday sales.

Another way I look at the iPhone 4 is this - it's like when Apple plateaued, in a good way, with Leopard. Apple essentially said, this is awesome, let's chill with this. The most we'll do is tighten up the code a bit with Snow Leopard. The iPhone 4 is like Leopard. While us Apple geeks - me included - enjoy pondering how much more we need out of the iPhone 5, the reality is the vast majority of mobile phone customers are more than satisfied by the iPhone 4, and there is little need for Apple to take attention off the pending cloud release and focus on a iPhone 5.

Just
my
thoughts.

I yield the floor. ;)

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Whenever it comes I'm sure it will be awesome. All this attention to when it is coming out reminds me of when I was a kid waiting for Christmas day to arrive :)

Ruhruh

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Is there a way to check how many of each iPhone version are currently activated?

I'm assuming there is still a large number of 3GS users out there and it just seems crazy that AT&T and to a lesser extent, carriers around the world, would allow millions? of users to go off contract without something new and pretty to keep them locked down.

But of course app purchases, accessories, and time spent with iOS will be enough to keep many loyal even with what Android can offer, even if they have to wait a few extra months.

I predict that if we don't see the iPhone 5 released in June/July, that there will at least be something mentioned about it at WWDC. Maybe even the normal Job's presentation, but "won't be available until" will be plastered on the screen.

Just something to keep those waiting to either say, that isn't enough to hold out for and to get an iPhone 4 or for others to hold out and keep feeding the app market in the mean time.

Either way Apple wins.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
After last year's iPhone 4 leak incident I think :apple: is just being extra careful this year not to leak any details whatsoever on the iPhone 5.

And then BOOM. iPhone 5 announcement @ WWDC!!

PS: For those who are threatening to move to a non-iPhone phone, remember this is all speculation and rumor. I know how horrible it can be, I had a 3G until I got my iPhone 4, but I waited patiently for 4 to come out and it was well worth it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Apple's probably gone to DEFCON 1 after last year's prototype theft, so the iPhone 5 is delayed because everything is taking longer due to security clearances.

I would say DEFCON1, but 5 will still come out at the normal time. I think the rumor mill is going to be far less useful this year, after what happened with the prototypes and rumors last year. I have no doubt Apple is being even more secretive for 2011, possibly even going back to spreading false rumors themselves.

That said, I wouldn't expect much upgrade for the 5. Maybe faster cpu/gpu, 8mp rear cam, universal radio, antenna tweak. Other than the antenna, those are really minor changes, despite what spec-whores will say. Maybe LTE for Verizon, but that doesn't seem too likely right now since ATT and others don't have anything ready for 4G.

JFerrari

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
The iPhone 4 is a perfectly fine device. In many ways its still ahead of the competition. Take the outstanding battery life, awesome software integration and the beautiful Retina display- to me those are three big features no other competitor has matched.

Apple could do nothing for the next year and still have a phone that can be compared favorably with every phone on the market. Manufacturers are trying to compete with the iPhone by producing larger screens and misc. features not many will use- i.e. mini hdmi ports on phones, etc. They lose focus of the overall user experience- Apple has this down pat.

Apple is essentially a failure of its own success.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
My dad wants me to switch to Verizon this summer, so I'm really hoping the iPhone 5 will come out by then so I can upgrade to that instead of a Verizon iPhone 4. :D

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The iPhone 4 is a perfectly fine device. In many ways its still ahead of the competition. Take the outstanding battery life, awesome software integration and the beautiful Retina display- to me those are three big features no other competitor has matched.

Apple could do nothing for the next year and still have a phone that can be compared favorably with every phone on the market. Manufacturers are trying to compete with the iPhone by producing larger screens and misc. features not many will use- i.e. mini hdmi ports on phones, etc. They lose focus of the overall user experience- Apple has this down pat.

Apple is essentially a failure of its own success.

you forgot cost

you can "buy" an android phone with iphone 4 like internals and a 4" screen for $50. sometimes less. the thunderbolt just went on sale for $50.

iphone 4 is $300 after you factor in activation and tax

for a lot of people that's a big turn off

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
thanks for continuing to screw us 3gS owners over Apple...

My phone is on its last leg, dropping calls all of the time, have to charge it 3 times a day. If I had known this, I would have already bought a 4...

YOU are screwing yourself over!

Dropping calls is a carrier issue, not Apple's.

If you think you need a new battery get a new one and replace the current one.

As far as if I had known this: How about realizing that technology advances all the time and from the time you get it in your hands it's obsolete?
And, Apple never promised YOU that there will be an iphone5 when you want to buy one.

They did however put out a beautiful iphone4 that you can decide to buy or not. Not only that, you can do that any time, imagine that!

There, all your problems solved in under 2 minutes!

You are welcome:)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
All the while, the iPhone sales appear to be kicking ass...

Actually, I hate to start a flamewar, but iOS's marketshare seems to have leveled-off at around 25% of people who own smartphones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-iphone-market-share-2011-4

Maybe they don't really think that releasing an iPhone in June vs September is really going to matter? Maybe people who that are going to buy the iPhone have already done so and Apple believes that they have this group of people "locked-in"? Maybe they are satisfied with the 25% marketshare because they seem to be making tons of cash of this small, but wealthy group.

As for my iPhone 4, it already seems a bit dated and laggy (takes 10 seconds to open Camera, laggy keyboard when searching in Maps, choppy animations in games). I think this is a software problem though. If Apple came out with a much more efficient and smoother iOS 5 (that made my iPhone 4 feel like a new phone), I would be perfectly satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.