Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Today I accidentally realized I can touch type pretty flawlessly using the iPad in landscape mode. I feel like a savant of some sort lol. Anyone else experience this? I have been using this keyboard so much that my fingers kind of took over today and I am amazed at how well it's been working. I tried searching to see if anyone on the forum has had a similar experience but didn't find anything. So my question is does anyone else do this?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Today I accidentally realized I can touch type pretty flawlessly using the iPad in landscape mode. I feel like a savant of some sort lol. Anyone else experience this? I have been using this keyboard so much that my fingers kind of took over today and I am amazed at how well it's been working. I tried searching to see if anyone on the forum has had a similar experience but didn't find anything. So my question is does anyone else do this?

I too can touch type on the iPad pretty well, I just let my fingers take over and trust in the autocorrect, which usually fixes any typos I make.

ChrisML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Haha, Internet high five. I was super proud of myself when I discovered this. I wonder if more people don't try it just because it's so different feeling from a normal keyboard. You explained my sentiment exactly. Just let er rip and let the auto correct take over if need be. I just think its awesome that I have this new found ability!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'd like complete & easy access to the auto correct dictionary, there's a lot of custom words in my business I'd like to be able to add. Or allow us to ad them like one does in a word processor.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
Yes. I don't even like using a physical keyboard anymore. It just doesn't feel right and I'm even faster and more accurate with the iPad keyboard, without autocorrect. Tons of people think I'm crazy but it's the easiest keyboard that I've ever used in my life and I'm sure more people feel the same way about it. Ever since I got my first iPad it's been this way. But maybe I'm the minority that doesn't even want a bluetooth keyboard ever.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd like complete & easy access to the auto correct dictionary, there's a lot of custom words in my business I'd like to be able to add. Or allow us to ad them like one does in a word processor.

You can add words to the autocorrect dictionary. It was one of the features in iOS 5. Go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts. Click the little "+" button and add words or even full phrases.

ChrisML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Yes. I don't even like using a physical keyboard anymore. It just doesn't feel right and I'm even faster and more accurate with the iPad keyboard, without autocorrect. Tons of people think I'm crazy but it's the easiest keyboard that I've ever used in my life and I'm sure more people feel the same way about it. Ever since I got my first iPad it's been this way. But maybe I'm the minority that doesn't even want a bluetooth keyboard ever.

Yea, I've noticed going on through the day the more accurate and easier this is becoming. Within a week or so I can imagine it being just as fluid as typing on a physical keyboard. I mean right now it's damn close. Like I said before I'm just excited as typing on this device is about the only thing where a PC wins hands down in speed and efficiency. It appers as though that won't be a problem anymore!

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
You can add words to the autocorrect dictionary. It was one of the features in iOS 5. Go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts. Click the little "+" button and add words or even full phrases.

I love that!! I made one for my email called 'eml' and it is truly awesome. Not having to type my email every time I need it is perfect. Just make sure any keyboard shortcuts you make aren't full words though.

I also use it as my own personal autocorrect dictionary for words with contractions and 'Heyy' and stuff. I don't like the built in autocorrect, it gets in the way too much, so I just make my own with my most common mistakes. :)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Interesting thread. Touch typing has been pretty easy for me as well. Stilllenty of old fogeys out there who can't get used to a virtual keyboard. I'm sure kids brought up on iPhones and iPads will gradually find physical keyboards obsolete technology.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I don't exactly touch type on my iPad, but as the OP says...In landscape mode I am much faster than I thought would be possible...It was the same on my 1 and 2 also. I do find I look down a fair bit though, but It's faster than you'd think.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Thanks for the reminder!

I read about that when I first began using v5, then promptly forgot :eek:

ChrisML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I don't exactly touch type on my iPad, but as the OP says...In landscape mode I am much faster than I thought would be possible...It was the same on my 1 and 2 also. I do find I look down a fair bit though, but It's faster than you'd think.

Well you should just let go man. Free yourself for the confines of hunt and peck method! I like your tag line... Too much stuff not enough time. My life personified.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Well you should just let go man. Free yourself for the confines of hunt and peck method! I like your tag line... Too much stuff not enough time. My life personified.

Then what are you doing wasting time on an internet forum? :p

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011

Yes I do this. However I do it casually. I don't depend on touch-typing when I need to take notes from a dictation.

I can type 3/4 as fast on my iPad screen as I can on my regular mechanical keyboard, however that's if I'm sitting in a proper position. If I'm lying in bed, typos start popping up.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
I find it much harder to write in landscapemode then in portraitmode. I can write really fast with the portraitmode.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Who finds the iPad 3 keyboard better than the iPad 2. I find it much more responsive and has zero lag.

The iPad is the first touch screen device that I find the keyboard works really well.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Agreed, with one caveat. I find typing on the iPad in landscape to be very easy. However I can still type faster on a standard keyboard than the iPad. Reason being, on a keyboard, I can keep my eyes on the text on the screen. On an iPad, I have to watch my fingers.

That being said, I would never get a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad. It is easy enough to type on the screen. And if I got a separate keyboard, that sort of defeats the purpose of having an iPad. Might as well get a Macbook Air.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That being said, I would never get a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad. It is easy enough to type on the screen. And if I got a separate keyboard, that sort of defeats the purpose of having an iPad. Might as well get a Macbook Air.

Almost.

I am in the midst of experimenting to see how my ipad can be used in my classroom. One thing I hated about my laptop is that to type anything (while it is hooked up to the smartboard), I have to be stuck at my desk, when I would love nothing more than to be able to circulate around my class and monitor/interact with my pupils.

A bluetooth keyboard / air-sketch app would allow me to do just that. My ipad stays propped at my table, while I can type from anywhere I want in the class (or get my pupils to contribute).

That said, my ipad is turning out to be quite the expensive toy, between apps and accessories. :p

Manta-X

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
Me too. I prefer the touchscreen keyboard over a physical one. IMO the iPad 3's lag is pretty close to zero.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

I do it 100% of the time (see my signature) and have had extremely little issue in doing so. I gave up my keyboard dock pretty much immediately. The keyboard size in landscape feels great, and I don't have particularly small hands.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A bluetooth keyboard / air-sketch app would allow me to do just that. My ipad stays propped at my table, while I can type from anywhere I want in the class (or get my pupils to contribute).

Have you actually done this, or is it a concept you have yet to try out? I'm seeing two major problems here. 1. How can you see the iPad screen to see what you are doing from across the room? I'm not talking about the typing itself, but you will need to see, for instance, if you are typing your words into the correct position on screen. 2. There are lots of system control actions on the iPad that can't be done from the keyboard. It's the main reason why I have stopped using the Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad -- it got too annoying moving my hand constantly from the keyboard to the iPad screen to do something or other that couldn't be done from the keyboard. It ended up being faster just to use the on-screen keyboard. Not to mention it's one less thing to carry. Not saying this definitely won't work for you, but if you do make it work, I'll be interested in hearing how you get around the two problem points I'm seeing.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Yes, typing on the iPad is not difficult. However, it takes up over 50% of the screen so if you want any sort of productivity, a BT keyboard is still a necessity.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I seem to miss the biggest damn button on the keyboard when typing (I try to only type in landscape, big hands), the spacebar. I keep hitting the bezel or the letter N. Or I'll hit the P button whenever I try deleting something.

T & H are tough because I think I'm hitting them too fast. I'm a fast typer on a normal keyboard, maybe I'm just going too fast for the iPad's keyboard to keep up. It keeps thinking I'm hitting the TH at the same time.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
i can almost rival my physical keyboard typing speed on my ipad in landscape mode, only thing is i sometimes miss a letter, and going back to correct the two or three mistakes i make per sentence usually takes me quite a while. in general though, i'm definitely starting to like typing on this thing.

couldnt imagine myself typing more than just notes or short-ish posts with this thing though, wouldnt use it to write an essay or a long email unless i absolutely have to. might get a bluetooth keyboard for his thing for when im travelling. thought i wouldnt need one since i have a laptop i intended to take with me when abroad, though i just recently picked the thing up and noticed how damn heavy it is, and all of a sudden, my ipad seemed the obvious option to take with me in its stead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.