Touch users... what are you using for a phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Sep 8, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've currently got an iPhone, but I'm seriously considering moving away from the iPhone and doing an iPod touch + go-phone because I'm a very light talker, but I still want touch features and wifi.

I want to get an iPod touch (3rd gen) and get a Motorola Razr go-phone from AT&T for calls and text. Does that sound like a good idea?

I've also found software called BluePhoneElite2 that can connect to the Razr via bluetooth and I can send and receive text messages from the computer. This will be a nice feature so that I can text people without using the number pad on the Razr.

So my question is... what are you currently using for a cell phone and what works well for you?

2. tundotcom macrumors member

I plan on getting the 3rd gen touch, and I'm gonna be using it with an old ****** phone for calls and texts. I don't make calls very much and I don't text enough to warrant getting a keyboard type phone.

3. womble2k2 macrumors regular

I use a Nokia N95 8GB, which is good, except that Nokia don't write much software for the Mac:(

It has a number of advantages over the iPhone, namely;
    - Much better camera with 5 Megapixels, Carl Zeiss lenses and a flash!!
    - Longer battery life with interchangable battery
    - I can use the same charger at home as for my work mobile (Nokia 6310) and hands free kit.
    - Better voice call quality (although I believe the 3GS is much improved over previous iPhones).
    - Is on the Vodafone network (UK), which for me, has better coverage at my home, my office and my parents house. [to get O2, I need to go upstairs and stand on a bed to get 2G coverage!!].

The iPhone has improved greatly since I got the Nokia, but I still don't think it is the phone for me. My iPod Touch (2G 16G) is only 10 months old, so likely to last until the next version of the iPhone. That might be the point of me getting an iPhone.

I run Windoze in VirtualBox just for the Nokia software!!!

I'm looking to upgrade my phone soon, but the way the iPhone is priced in the UK, makes it too expensive for my usage pattern. Likely to opt for the Sony Ericsson W995.

Phil

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Palm Treo 700P on Verizon.

I do talk a decent amount, and text and love my full keyboard. I have no data service on it right now though, so it's just like a regular phone. I'd like to move to something smaller.... but don't like any of the current offerings.

5. Eschelon macrumors newbie

If you don't mind changing carriers, the Samsung Omnia from Verizon is by far the best smartphone on the market (I dare say, even better than the iphone 3G).

It has every phone functionality you can think of. Internet, email, SMS, MMS, 5 megapixel camera with flash (better than the 3GS), Microsoft Office built in, tons of software available for it, and much, much more.

For example, here's a list of what I've done with my Omnia just this morning:

• Accessed half a dozen email accounts on different servers
    • Edited an excel document before forwarding it to my boss
    • Sent several picture and video messages
    • Used MSN messenger built into the phone to IM my wife during a "meeting" this morning
    • Played Yahtzee
    • Used a third party turn-by-turn navigation software to get me to said meeting listed above
    • Used Midomi to ID a song on the radio while driving
    • Updated Facebook twice
    • Added a movie to my Netflix account
    • Streamed Pandora during lunch
    • Tethered (something removed from the iphone AFAIK). It's where you use the wireless data signal and WiFi chip in your phone to push a wireless signal to your laptop so that you can get wireless internet ANYWHERE by just using your phone as a router
    • Watched a YouTube clip
    • ...then tonight when I go jogging, I'll use a GPS program in the phone to track my run for me and tell me all the stats (calories, distance, time, etc..)

All that from a friggin phone on Verizon! Yes, I know that the iphone 3G can do some of these, but it can't do all (MMS, tethering, etc..) which I why I went with the Omina instead, and then grabbed an ipod touch to fill any gaps.

The thing I really like about Windows Mobile based phones is that they are 100% customizable and tweakble by editing the registry, downloading a settings utility, etc.. - one thing that the iphone kinda lacks, even with a jailbreak...

I'm not trying to knock the iphone in this post, and I know that the newer 3GS addresses some of these flaws (like cut and paste), but Windows Mobile has a lot to offer that the iphone doesn't and vice versa.

Solution: Get a Windows Mobile phone like the Omnia and get an ipod touch - that way you'll have the best of both worlds

PS - If you decide to wait til late Fall, the Omnia 2 is coming to Verizon

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

7. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Currently I don't have any version of a smart phone. Because I'm not a fan of AT&T, I'm planning to hang on to my cheapo original Verizon phone, a pretty basic LG which works fine for calls and simple texting; and will get the new iPod Touch for wi-fi, syncing, and other useful features. I find I really don't mind having a cheap phone, since it does all I need a phone to do. And it's not a big deal carrying around two small pieces of gear instead of one. (And, yeah, sometimes it's nice to leave the phone behind and be incommunicada by choice for a few hours, while still enjoying the Web.)

8. alm99 macrumors 6502

I had an iPhone 3GS up until last Tuesday when I sold it. I thought I could live with the no service at work until I missed a family emergency call. I am now back on Verizon Wireless with an LG enV touch. It stinks compared to an iPhone and I didn’t want to pony up $30 for data on a smart phone. Honestly I am thinking of sending this phone back and reactivating one of my old VZW phones to avoid the contract in the hopes of seeing an iPhone next year on VZW.

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

I have Verizon. It's a much better network than AT&T, at least in my area. I don't like my phone 100% but I'm sticking with it until the Pre comes out.. The Touch fills in all the other gaps. I kinda wish I had internet access everywhere but I can survive without it just fine.

10. ajones46 macrumors 6502

My current phone is the Samsung Sway from Verizon. I basically went for the smallest, thinnest phone possible lol. Most of my jeans have an outline of where my old phone was in my pocket, so this one basically disappears and the curved edges on my 2g touch makes it blend in seamlessly. I do text a lot, but I just use textfree unlimited and it works great. I'm a student at the university of toledo and the entire campus has wifi and I have wifi at home, so i don't lose much. I have no need for a data plan or anything else since I'm almost always near a wifi hotspot too.

11. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i use my trusty blackberry pearl 8130 from sprint. i love the size and rugged build (ive dropped it a few times) and the battery life KILLS the iphone

i use my ipod touch for everything other then talking, texting, or surfing the web. im just waiting (FINGERS CROSSED!!!!) for some one to to finally make the ipt 2g bluetooth connect with phones so that it can share internet access. that would be my dream!

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's cool. I'm near wifi a lot too. Is there a simple plug-in device I can get for my Mac at work to share the ethernet connection over wifi? There's no wifi at my desk, but I'd like to make a tiny hotspot here. Is that possible? Also, there's no wifi card in this Mac... it's a PowerMac G5.

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

DUDE!!! i feel you

i have a first generation ipod touch, which i use as a PDA, music, games

then i use my blackberry curve for talk and text and GPS and the casual myspace, facebook on it's mobile EDGE browser.:D

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Have you thought about getting the Verizon MiFi?

15. belvdr macrumors 603

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

isn't it the sprint mi-fi?;)

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

18. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yep, but I don't need mobile internet that badly :p

19. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

20. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I got a cheap used AT&T BlackBerry Pearl, because I hate texting on numeric keypads. SMS is the only thing I'm really going to miss in going from iPhone to iPod Touch + cheap phone. But the Pearl works pretty well.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So you're switching too? I wonder what would happen if everyone got fed up and decided to switch from iPhone to dumb-phone + iPod touch. I wonder if that would change AT&Ts ways. Imagine that.

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

did u just called the BLACKBERRY A DUMB PHONE!!!:eek::p????????????

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I meant "cheap phone".

24. tdevers macrumors regular

Blackberry Tour on Verizon. Had a tough time disconnect from the V. Had the iPhone for a week and the service was terrible(AT&T Blackberry was much better side by side) and there wasn't a lot that a Blackberry can't do for my needs.

25. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

ohhh, forgiveness please!:p lol carry on....