Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
best iPhone upgrade feature hands down.

Waits for a challenger.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you would consider the increase in screen size as a 'feature', the addition of 4.7" and 5.5" would be my challenge.

But if those are not considered features, and honestly they probably aren't, then i have nothing. TouchID I think stands above and beyond other things like Siri and 3D Touch (at least in its immature stage).

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Welcome to 2 years ago? But, yes, it's a great feature.

It was introduced with the 5S. But one may argue that it wasn't until the 6S when it works faultlessly and instantly, so quickly that you no longer need to pause for it to read your prints.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It was introduced with the 5S. But one may argue that it wasn't until the 6S when it works faultlessly and instantly, so quickly that you no longer need to pause for it to read your prints.
It was flawless when it started. Who would've anticipated a biometric scanner on your phone? Sick

Reactions: IphoneIssues

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
It was flawless when it started. Who would've anticipated a biometric scanner on your phone? Sick

Not for my experience. Many 5S users that I know gave up on the Touch ID because the prints wouldn't register correctly half the time. iOS upgrades later seemed to have improved it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think quite a few people anticipated that type of thing quite a bit before, and certainly more so closer to the 5s release.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Well the nexus 6p has one that has been tested to be slightly faster than the 6s Touch ID. the thing is, iPhone has the advantage of it being on the front of the phone

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
But yes, OP, I do think that Touch ID is a miracle in itself. It is amazing that a device can scan your print, then reference it with other saved prints to find a match...all in a matter of seconds. It is truly amazing technology

Reactions: Appl3FTW

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The best iPhone upgrade feature ever is 2GB of RAM. Then bigger screens, camera and iCloud. I don't use TouchID or ApplePay so I rate them as 'meh' features, but of course everyone's opinion is subjective.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

Don't know what you're taking about but it worked flawlessly since day one. I think you confused with samsung or something

Reactions: Appl3FTW

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
The integration of software and hardware is out of the park. TouchID integration with Apple Pay and apps too? As if unlock wasn't a winner enough.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I absolutely love using Touch ID! I completely forget that I use a password until I restart my phone or restore the phone and need to re-calibrate. :p The Nexus phones aren't quite as fast as the new 6s's in side-by-side videos. The 6s recognizes on a tap of the sensor but, the Nexus recognizes on a press. Both are extremely fast, but the Nexus (Nexuses? Nexi?) are closer to the 6 than the 6s.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Touch ID is brilliant - easily my fav iPhone feature - especially on 6S. It's like lightning.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I like the effort that went into integrating it into the home button and not trying to do it in the screen or elsewhere. In the process, they fixed one of the most problematic bits of the iPhone since the previous button wasn't very durable and failures for a lot of people (never had a problem myself, but my brother did).

I'll give them credit for the notification center too. I always liked my Android widgets, but I always wanted to be able to stick them in the notification area. There were some that did put stuff in there, but the majority of them didn't.

The new Spotlight area is nice too, I hope they expand on that.

Genkakuzai

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Not for my experience. Many 5S users that I know gave up on the Touch ID because the prints wouldn't register correctly half the time. iOS upgrades later seemed to have improved it.
There were ways to work around any potential problems of that nature though, by adding the same print more than once, capturing every part of it. Worked great. That being said, it's insanely good on the 6S/6S Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.