TouchID is terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

Anyone having issues? I've taken multiple finger prints with the same finger, different angles etc, but i constantly get try again.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It worked fine the first try for 4 of my fingers. It wasn't too bad either when I used the fifth one with my cat's paw print. <--- seriously, it worked.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yay! Another thread on this!! Please scroll down the page to the huge one that already exists.

----------

Seriously?

I'm going to go try my neighbor's cat…imagine that knock on their door….

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Works great for me. It works 97% of the time. Perhaps try to redo your finger prints? Make sure you're moving it around so it gets a complete scan.

5. indianavtx macrumors member

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Seriously. Puma and I set up his paw print about an hour ago.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Works first time every time.

You must be holding it wrong!:D

8. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

My first iPhone5s that I had gave me issues . Exchanged it and now this one works 99.9% of the time . My other device worked 2/10. I'm not sure if the device was defected or I was simply "holding it wrong " lol ? Idk

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I don't know if that's such a great idea.

He's smart...if I were you I'd watch my Amazon billings for cat treats...and catnip!:eek:

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

He's my back up in case I get into a horrible farm implement accident! :p

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

That's awesome! …however, my suggestion is that you give him an Amazon spending allowance, each month. :p

13. petsounds macrumors 65816

They exchanged it because of the Touch ID issues? Who did you go through to get it exchanged? I tried calling AppleCare and I felt like I was talking to McDonalds employees. Not only were they clueless and not listening to me, but the "Senior Advisor" even tried to tell me it shouldn't work on the tips of fingers, and I should probably just live with it. I was shocked...AppleCare has really gone down in service.

I think I'm going to try making a Genius appointment next. The problem is it's hard to demo for someone when it works great for a day and then fails to recognize the prints.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Sometimes with Apple care you need to ring back 2 or 3 times till you get someone who will help you properly. My experience anyway.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's because of threads like these that I was worried about TouchID before I got mine in the mail. I've had mine since Tuesday, and I must say that the TouchID is awesome. It works seamlessly. I press to wake it up, then not even a second later, it's unlocked. Mine works every single time, but then again I do have 2 "prints" of my right thumb (dominant) just in case.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What would be an appropriate amount for a 9-year-old cat? :p

17. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I've been having some trouble with Touch ID too. It would stop working for hours at a time then start again like nothing had happened. I went to the Apple Store today and the genius there said it was probably software related. I had alot of crashes in my diagnostics and usage. She had me restore and set up as new, said to try that for 24 hours and see how it goes. If it goes well, she said to try restoring from a backup to see if it was the backup that was buggy. So far so good but its only been 2 hours haha.

18. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

9 lives….9 years…so $81!!!! :D

19. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

20. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Works better for me than my old four digit pass code ever did! Even then I would often miss-key and have to "try again"!

21. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

"McDonalds employees" you made me laugh seriously. Well I actually exchanged my iPhone where I bought it from, the Apple store. I had a 64 GB phone and exchanged it for a 16GB. Thats the main reason why I exchanged the phone. Ive already had giving up on the touch ID. I seriously thought it was normal. (Garbage) But it actually works better with this device. On the other phone i've tried to resetting the finger like 20 times and no luck.

22. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I started to have a couple issues with my right thumb, but then I realized that when I am holding my phone to unlock it, I am actually exposing a different part of my thumb than when I put my prints in the software (more towards the tip). So, that was making it work only sporadically. I redid my thumb, using the grip angle I more typically use, and that helped quite a bit.

23. Aye macrumors regular

Ballmer, your hand is terrible in everything (you do).

24. kendrabSLP macrumors newbie

TouchID works great for me. Even worked while wearing a band-aid.

25. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29