TouchID is terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Sounds like user error on your part, OP; I haven't had a single problem.

2. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Have worked 99% of the time for me so far... Failed once for me since release date

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

While I definitely agree that Applecare is hiring people just to read the rules and instructions from a book, I'm doubtful that the Applecare agent said, You'll have to just live with it". That doesn't sound right. They are on a micromanaged recorded call and while I've had a few clueless people on the phone at Applecare, nobody has ever said something like what you claimed they said. Is that really true or were you paraphrasing?

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Worked fine for me until today. Wouldn't accept my left index finger. Other fingers worked fine. Deleted fingerprint for left index finger, rescanned, and works fine again. Weird.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

6. lke, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

lke macrumors 6502a

you are not using correctly the touchid, the way to use it correctly is with your nipples

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL that nipple vid is awesome.... would of been better if it was a female doing it but it's still sweet.

I am hit or miss for the most part but I believe this is more because I use a part of my thumb that maybe didn't get scanned very well. If I am deliberate with my placement I have zero issues. I would say about 95% there is no issue. I'm waiting for them to implement simply touching the area wakes it up. I honestly have no issue giving up that battery life to have that feature.

8. pjny macrumors 6502a

I primarily use my thumbs and right index and was having spotty luck with it until I decided to secondary impressions of my right thumb and index finger in slots 4-5 of the fingerprint memory banks. (1-right thumb, 2 right index finger, 3 left thumb)

I tended to record more of the tip of my right thumb(touching the sensor at a 45 degree angle) in memory bank 4 and tip of my index finger in 5.

i placed the readings more on the thumb laid flat and centered on the sensor in bank 1-2.

It works a lot better now since it is reading 2 separate instances of my fingers touching the sensor at different angles.

9. happycamper515 macrumors newbie

Works 100% of the time for me, my wife, and my 5-year old daughter.

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Worked first time, and have had no issues using it so far. Actually very very impressed by it.

11. petsounds macrumors 65816

She more or less said, "You can either try wiping the phone, or if you're okay with just pressing on the Touch ID in that one place, then you don't need to do anything else." I was so shocked she said it that I didn't even know what to say. She was obviously trying to manipulate me into not pursuing it further. Whether they have been instructed to dissuade people from complaining about Touch ID, or whether she just didn't want to deal with it anymore, I don't know. I got an email asking for my feedback about the call, which I'll definitely be letting them know.

Doubly shocked because AppleCare used to be staffed with mostly really pleasant and helpful people, though granted it's been a few years since I've had to use it.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It might be related to your fingerprints, and not to the hardware.

13. Aussi3 Suspended

Aussi3

Touch ID Works amazingly good on mine I love it :) such an awesome feature, well done apple :)

14. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Indeed. Didn't think I'd appreciate the convenience as I do. Works 99% of the time for me which is more than enough. I used to tap the wrong passcode for various reasons far more often than TouchID fails.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm also not having Touch ID issues and I'll check in with my wife because technology hates her. She mentioned some issues early on so I'll refer to my previous statement. :)

Agreed. Whether it's thermal or capacitance or magic I can't believe the power draw would be significant. There is already circuitry running (radios, etc.) while the phone is "asleep".

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Not to be "that guy" but based on what you said it didn't sound at all like she was trying to manipulate you into not pursuing it. At least I didn't get that from your post. Sounded more like she was offering you a quick fix over the phone. It's not easy to do deep troubleshooting over the phone. Here's another thing, because the iPhone 5S is in very short supply they may have not had any to do an exchange so yes, she may have been trying to offer you a quick fix to avoid doing an exchange because they may have not had any to exchange. Did you ask for an exchange?

17. petsounds macrumors 65816

No, I didn't ask for an exchange. I'm not sure why you're being an apologist for an AppleCare rep when you didn't hear the call. It wasn't just that statement, her behavior during the entire call was combative. She wasn't troubleshooting, because she didn't listen to the problem – she was too busy trying to twist things I said and spinning it into the problem being my fault.

And that statement was shocking, whether you think so or not. An Apple rep should never express to a customer that they're comfortable with an Apple product not working correctly and are fine with the customer living with the problem.

In any case, this discussion is off-topic so let's drop it. I'll try my luck with a Genius and report back.

18. macred macrumors regular

I don't think anything is wrong with touch ID

It's no different than any other unique feature Apple has used to call attention to their products over the years. If it doesn't work properly, Apple's warranty will cover it.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Works perfectly for me. It's one of those features you don't think you need until you actually start using it. I find myself tapping the home button on my iPad sometimes expecting it to unlock.

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly, we'll drop it now, after I tell you that you have no just cause calling me an apologist. I never defended the Applecare rep, I said based on what YOU said it didn't sound like she was manipulating you. I simply asked you questions because I know they are micromanaged on phone calls. In fact I mentioned earlier that I agreed that Applecare doesn't do the best job because they hire people to read scripts which is poor, IMO. And for the record, I have zero idea the entire truth of the conversation between you and the Applecare rep since I wasn't there to hear it so why should I believe your story to be truthful? To me, you're just another virtual human on the web. Sheesh. Now we're done. ;)

21. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

There have been reports of people using multiple body parts, including people nipples and penis successfully. You might have gotten a bad one?

23. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

24. leebroath macrumors 6502a

leebroath

Touch ID works perfectly well for me

Fantastic idea and used all the time :)

Really happy this functionality is now on my phone

25. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Yes it will..... With GPS and touchid, the whole issue of illegal aliens just got a hell of a lot easier ;)