Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
My company requires a complex password to unlock. I'm considering the 5S specifically for the Touch ID feature. In order to use it will it require specific confirguration changes at my company's network to accept a handshake via TouchID?

I have an email into my company security team, but what's your educated guess?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
My guess is that it require you to set up a passcode anyways incase your fingerprint doesn't work (either 4digit, or complex.. This may be up to the user)

Then your fingerprint will just unlock in place of that password.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My guess is that it require you to set up a passcode anyways incase your fingerprint doesn't work (either 4digit, or complex.. This may be up to the user)

Then your fingerprint will just unlock in place of that password.

My exact same thoughts. That complex passcode will still keep; however, your finger can now be used.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you both for the replies but they generate other questions/concerns. I'll probably need to wait until I have the opportunity to review the manual to see how it's implemented.

Is Touch ID tied to a unique pw?
If so then the pw to unlock and to use at the App Store, and iTunes will all have to be the same?

And if my company reqires I change my unlock pw every 30 days then I'll be forced to associate the new pw to my print and chg the pw at the App Store/iTunes or any other app using it?

Perhaps we can declare a unique pw for any app using Touch ID. We would then only need to grant authority to the app wishing to use Touch ID and attach a new pw to the print for that app.

Does that makes sense?

Are there any manuals available yet for this feature?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Thank you both for the replies but they generate other questions/concerns. I'll probably need to wait until I have the opportunity to review the manual to see how it's implemented.

Is Touch ID tied to a unique pw?
If so then the pw to unlock and to use at the App Store, and iTunes will all have to be the same?

And if my company reqires I change my unlock pw every 30 days then I'll be forced to associate the new pw to my print and chg the pw at the App Store/iTunes or any other app using it?

Perhaps we can declare a unique pw for any app using Touch ID. We would then only need to grant authority to the app wishing to use Touch ID and attach a new pw to the print for that app.

Does that makes sense?

Are there any manuals available yet for this feature?

No. You will always have the option to use a passcode to unlock. But if you want to use Touch ID, you will HAVE to set up a lock screen password because of the 48 hour and reboot provision. For app store purchasing, again you can use your Touch ID or like you do today enter your App Store password. You are not setting up additional passwords for Touch ID, it just works in conjunction with the current security measures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.