Tough Decision: iPhone 4s 64gb or Macbook Pro 15" Base

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Totty1987, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

Hi there

I'm really keen to purchase the new iphone 4s 64gb or a 15" macbook pro, but my current funds will only allow me to choose one or the other. I've been in dire need of a new laptop for about 2 years now and I think now is the time to convert to osx and purchase one. On the other hand my currrent mobile phone (sony erricson) is in bad shape and I'm seriously looking to replace it with an iphone 4s 64gb, which would negate the need carrying my nano and phone with me at all times when I'm out and about.

Which is the more worthwhile purchase?

It might seem like a silly question, but I would really appreciate any comments from you guys.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Worthwhile" is subjective and can only be answered by you. If you require a notebook for your work or whatever, that's probably the bigger priority.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Buy the laptop, save a bit more for the phone and maybe not get the 64GB, go with a 32GB and save a dime?

4. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I may go for the laptop. I don't think I'd opt for the 32gb though as my music library alone is 45gb in size. The 64gb capacity would allow me fit my entire library onto the device.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, definitely the Macbook, much better value for money IMO...

But then again, I'm an iPhone 3G user :p

6. sumone macrumors regular

I'm guessing your going for an unlocked iPhone because otherwise I don't see how the price range of the two compare, except long term. As others have said it just depends on your needs. I don't know whats more important to you to have. But if the phone is something you use more often then I would go for the nice phone and maybe get a cheap pc laptop. However, if the computer is top priority then you could always get a cheap phone. Perhaps, a 3Gs would do however, i'm not sure how much they go for off contract.

7. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to revive this thread, but I really can't decide which product i need more as I pretty much need both asap. I can purchase either one of the products this month and delay the other until December/January. The question is, which one? :(

Just a couple questions I have:-

Which product is more future proof, in terms of standing the test of time in light of new software advancements/ios_/osx etc?

What's the likelihood of Apple increasing the storage capacity of the next iPhone to 128gb?

Which product line(iPhone or Macbook) is more likely to be updated first?

Any pros and cons relating to the MBP and iPhone?

Sorry to be a pain, but I would really appreciate any helpful comments.

8. pkts macrumors member

I don't understand how a phone and a laptop are in the same discussion. For me, a laptop is about 5 times as useful as a phone. I LIKE to listen to the iPod, write emails when out and browse the web however i NEED to do all the stuff I do daily on my laptop for study and work. Then again the younger generation probably live on their smart phone. IMHO all the things you NEED a phone for can be accomplished on the Ericsson unless you are using maps and email.

9. steveca macrumors 6502

The MacBook pro is more functional without any doubt. I would get the base laptop and the iPhone 4...

10. pkts macrumors member

Yeah, just to add. Why do you need 15 Inch MBP and iPhone 4s 64gb. You must be a super duper power user to need such high specs? I'm of the school that I'd rather buy a new 13 MBP every 2 years than a 15 MBP every 4 years (same price) and usually I find the 13 MBP lasts 3-4 years anyway if you add more memory and a SSD.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Get a refurb MPB and then a 16GB iPhone 4 or 4S, depending on what you have to spend. It's really not necessary to take your whole library with you all the time. Setup a smart playlist to sync only the songs you have played in the last 6 months (or whatever), or if you want new music, only the things you haven't played in 6 months.

Wouldn't ANY iPhone 4/4S be better than that old Sony Ericsson phone?

Especially with a shiny new MPB to match.

12. sinfonye macrumors regular

Phone versus laptop

In your position, I would also check out a 13" Macbook Air as an alternative to the 15" Pro. The screen is has the same resolution as the standard 15" Pro, and the SSD buys real-world performance. The weight saving is significant.

For me, the laptop is indispensable. The phone is useful (but I could revert
    to a $15 feature phone if I had to).

For what it's worth, I still carry my ipod nano as well as my 32GB iPhone 4 when I want to listen to music: the phone battery lasts just about a day in normal use, if I listen to music it's usually just less than a day. The other features of the phone are more useful to me than the music player.
    I basically only use the music player when the iphone is docked.

13. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

13" MBP refurb and a 3GS. Not top of the line on either one, but then you'd have BOTH. Sometimes two lesser (but still quite awesome) products are better than one outstanding one. And before the 45GB library question comes up again, do you really HAVE to carry around ALL of your music at the same time? I know I don't...

14. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx for all comments, but I think I might opt for the "15 Macbook Pro, as I can do more things on it relative to the iPhone.

Anyway I hope I've made the right choice. :confused:

P.S. Just one quick question, what's the battery life like on the iPhone 4s when using the music player for prolonged periods as that's main reason I'm considering purchasing it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a little late to the thread but I echo other posters in stating that in the long run a laptop is probably a better option at this point. Then save up your money and maybe when you have the funds the iPhone 5 will be announced.

16. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I know you've pretty much come to a solution, but as you've mentioned you can delay one purchase until december/January, I can't see what was the issue is here...just buy the one that appeals to you more, as it doesn't appear to be about money, since you can afford both just one at a later time...and by later were talking a month or two, at most.

It all boils down to your needs. I own an iPhone4 and uMBP... but I dont need my macbook for studying or work, its my home PC for general usage. Honestly I spend more time on my iPhone than I do on my laptop.

17. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

It's true, you can do way more with the MBP.... but, if you don't have an iPhone at all? I'd have to go with the iPhone on this one... I use my iPhone more than my MacBook TEN fold. I could live without my MacBook... I could not live without my iPhone...

/.02

18. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Just reserved the Black iPhone 64gb for collection tomorrow morning at the Apple store. I just feel in this moment in time, I need a reliable phone. I'll purchase the Macbook Pro with my next paycheck.:D

Just one question. Is December a bit late to purchase the current Macbook Pro as I'm aware of the impending revamp(ivy bridge/new form factor) of the macbook pro range and I wouldn't want to purchase the current machine so close to the update.

Anyway, I just hope I've made the right decision.

Thanx for all the comments.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How about a cheaper phone and laptop?

macbook pro 13 and iPhone 4?

20. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like size and screen resolution of the "13, plus apple are only selling the 8gb version of the iphone 4.

21. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I've gotten cold feet about getting the iphone 4s. I guess I'm finding it hard to justify the price tag at this moment in time. Luckily I'm not obligated to pay for the iphone as I've just reserved it.

I need to either collect the iphone tomorrow morning or purchase the macbook online right now.

PLEASE HELP :(

22. v654321 macrumors member

I don't really get it.

First you decide that it's a MBP and then you think about going for the most expensive iPhone 4s. Do you really need 64GB?

Looks like you first need to make up your mind on what you actually need vs actually want.

Separating the cost and splitting the buy is good for you as well: this way you get to enjoy 2 new toys but one at a time.

If i were you, i would go with the MBP hands down. If you absolutely need a phone, take that one first, however think of it this way: people generally spend much more time on a day on a computer instead of a phone. While the retina display has a extremely nice screen, browsing and playing around with it is juste not the same as it is with a bigger screen on a computer.

Goodluck and let us know the outcome.

23. Antowns macrumors member

You didn't specify what country you came from so if you're from the UK I'd hold out on the 4S. I bought one a few days ago and it's been nothing but a big disappointment.

You can't use quite a few features because of being outside the US. Can't locate restaurants or do anything with Maps.

24. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I went with the iphone 4s. Now I just need to purchase a micro sim card. I'll hopefully have enough cash to purchase the mbp just before christmas

----------

My friend has an iphone 4 and Maps works on his phone. Last week, we managed to locate a car dealership using the feature.

25. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Glad u came to a decision but when you mention your 45gb of music you really dont need all that on your phone especially with itunes match around the corner. You could have saved a dime by simply putting your most listened to music on the phone. Just my thoughts but glad your sorted