Toyota Ad Pulled After Complaints

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Too bad, funniest commercial I've ever seen.

Link to ad

Article link

Toyota has been forced to pull a new advertisement in Australia following numerous accusations that the video was not only sexist but also making light of incest.

The online ad, entitled "Clean Getaways," is for the Toyota Yaris, a small car mainly sold to young women, according to the TheAge.com. The video, which is full of sexual innuendos and suggestive double entendres, begins with a young man arriving to pick up his date and telling the girl's father at the door, "I'm here to take Jennifer's virginity out tonight." From there the young man reels off such lines as "I hope I haven't come too prematurely," "it has traction control for when it gets a bit slippery and wet," and "I'll have her on her back by 11, I promise."

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Gotta love Aussie humor. We're too uptight in the US for that to play here.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I get the sexual undertones of the ad but incest? Am I missing something? :eek:
As one user wrote about this particular part of the ad: "The ad features a father and his daughter's boyfriend agreeing together, in a matey way, that the daughter is going to get a 'good pounding'. It has incestuous overtones."
I'm still not seeing it. I think the people that complain about ads like this are the ones that are messed up.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

eawmp1 said:
Gotta love Aussie humor. We're too uptight in the US for that to play here.
Apparently, Aussies are too uptight for it as well. ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm still not seeing it. I think the people that complain about ads like this are the ones that are messed up.
It depends on the point of view you're taking. As a well-adjusted, mature adult, maybe you can handle it. You have to consider the state of mind, maturity level, age, etc. of everybody, not just those who are "like" you.

Take product recalls for example. The recent thing about the cords on window shades is kind of silly to those who understand the danger they could pose to small children, and take appropriate, effective precautions. Or think about any number of household chemicals that could harm children or mentally challenged adults. In the old days, there was no such thing as a "childproof" cap. Responsible adults had to take appropriate precautions. Now safeguards are mandated by the government, not to protect those who don't need it, but those who do. The latter are distinctly in the minority.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It depends on the point of view you're taking. As a well-adjusted, mature adult, maybe you can handle it. You have to consider the state of mind, maturity level, age, etc. of everybody, not just those who are "like" you.
Oh, the classic, "think of the children" cry. Yes, children will see this ad, decide that they have to go out and have sex right away. It is that dangerous for immature minds, sure...

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I found it to be extremely hilarious! I really cannot see how people can get offended by advertisements like these.