Toyota Announces 2020 Prius Prime With CarPlay Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Toyota today announced that CarPlay and Amazon Alexa support will be standard features in its all-new 2020 Prius Prime range in the United States.

[​IMG]

Toyota states that CarPlay will come as standard across the full line of 2020 hybrid plug-in Prius models, so customers won't have to pay extra for Apple's in-car infotainment system. As in other Toyota vehicles, CarPlay remains a wired implementation in the 2020 Prius Prime.

Other new features include two additional USB-A ports for rear passengers, an additional fifth seat, black interior accents for a more premium feel, and a new sun visor extender.

Available this summer, the 2020 Prius Prime's suggested retail price for the LE grade will be $27,600, the XLE grade will be $29,500 and the Limited grade will be $33,500.

Other Toyota vehicles equipped with CarPlay include the 2019 Avalon, 2019 Corolla Hatchback, 2019 Sienna, 2019 Camry, 2020 Tacoma, 2020 Tundra, 2020 Sequoia, 2020 Corolla, 2020 Yaris Hatchback, and 2020 Highlander.

Earlier this week, Toyota announced plans to bring CarPlay to 2018 Toyota Camry sedans and 2018 Toyota Sienna minivans through a new retrofitting program that will be available through Toyota dealers.

Article Link: Toyota Announces 2020 Prius Prime With CarPlay Support

2. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I got rid of my last Toyota because the interface was so terrible. Glad to see they are smartening up.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

EnTune is horrible. It’s dated, clunky and just overly not good compared to the competition with Microsoft sync, Uconnect and Chevy Mylink, ect. Toyota knows it, but they want to be stubborn for so many years still using EnTune without making any significant changes/upgrades until they started including Apple CarPlay with the 2019 Avalon.

4. freezah macrumors member

freezah

Hope Toyota want play ugly like Mercedes-Benz did. MB demoed CarPlay with 2014 C-Class so people like me decided to go for it with the 3500€ “Comand Online” entertainment center just to learn month later that CarPlay won’t be available for this model. Couple years later they have introduced paid “CarPlay retrofit” option for this model but for basic entertainment center “Audio20”, not for the “high-end” 3500€ Comand Online.

5. unibility, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

unibility macrumors 6502a

GREAT NEWS!!!... for three that own this car.

6. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

7. nerdAFK macrumors 6502

nerdAFK

At this point, nothing but a Model 3 makes sense in this price range.
    The TCO of a Model 3 SR+ is close to an Accord, Camry, Prius and whatnot, while the experience is many years ahead.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2019 ---
    You should consider a Model 3

8. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

I’m pretty happy with my 2012 manual transmission BMW. Inline 6, NA, 50:50 balanced, rwd, sun roof, paid for!

9. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

About time Toyota added it to the Prius, hopefully its not just the plug in version for 2020 (they just redid the looks of the 2019 regular Prius some, but don't remember hearing anything about carplay).

On a different take, there's a huge flaw in the 3 for its lower price versions for a good chunk of the country. Rear wheel drive cars stink in the snow (and not a little bit). To get 4 wheel drive on the 3 you're looking at +$10k over the base price or more. In another 5 years the battery prices will be low enough to really be in the Accord / Camry range at purchase (before incentives) and it'll help alot, but the rear wheel drive issue will remain a problem for areas where people drive in snow.

10. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

Prius is a good car but this last generation is so damn ugly.

11. KillerTree macrumors regular

You realize a base Tesla Model 3 costs $16,000 more than a base Prius, right?

12. BaccaBossMC, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

A 'car' that shouldn't exist but still does. Great. You can't even really call it a car, it's an enclosed and somehow road legal golf cart.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

"Additional USB-A ports..."

When people complain about the iPhones still coming with a USB-A charger and cable, this is what I point out to them. Almost all USB charging ports in the wild are "A" ports. It makes a lot more sense to bundle an "A" cable because the user will be able to charge their phone in a lot more places out of the box.

You almost never see "C" ports in the wild, and "C" cables are plenty affordable for the few people who need them.

14. KillerTree macrumors regular

Some people just want A to B transportation with lots of cargo room, good fuel economy, and reliable

15. adeadpixel macrumors newbie

Kia should copy this, for no other reason than it would give us the Kia Optima Prime

16. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

What about the thousands of car accidents caused by people plugging in their phones and having to fumble with the non-reversable USB-A cable. Won't someone please think of the children!!!

17. Vasilioskn macrumors 6502

Vasilioskn

I have a 2014 Prius and it’s great- spend half the amount of money on gas per month !

18. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

They’re incredibly slow, incredibly ugly, and cost the same as any other car. It’s nice they get good gas mileage, but that’s the only positive - and they still put out plenty of CO2 since they’re a gasoline powered automobile. I could see picking up a secondhand Volt for $15k, at least you can get 50 miles on a charge, and the 0-60 time is inline with other cars on the road. The Prius 0-60 time of over 10 seconds puts it right down there with 1980s pickup trucks.

19. joeho717 macrumors newbie

joeho717

Seriously in 2020 model, they provide a "25-mile EV Mode20 driving range" I am sure the trunk space will be tiny too

20. hiphopdan macrumors newbie

I’m mostly excited about the new sun visor they are introducing

21. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Please, enlighten us on what absolutely riveting vehicle tickles your fancy. I've heard that insult about the Smart ForTwo, Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, Mazda Miata, Polaris Slingshot, Morgan, and pretty much any micro-car or 3-wheeler out there, but never about a Prius. It's a normal compact/midsize sedan; whatever one in the lineup you're looking at. Tell us, what car do you use to participate in the measuring contest while simultaneously belittling others because they purchased a practical, economical mode of transportation in the form of the best selling Hybrid ever.

22. lennyeiger macrumors member

I actually own a Prius Prime. Its been a great car. I live in Santa Cruz and most of my driving is local. I get about 30 miles from a charge and that covers almost everything I need. If I go to San Francisco I know I have to use the hybrid engine. It's about 50-60 mpg. I do that a once every couple of months. I've got 11K miles on it and I've filled the tank 4 times.
    If your commute is more than 30 miles per day then this probably won't be the car for you. There are lots of choices in the electric car spectrum these days, one of them will surely do.
    As to the speed, this car isn't sluggish at all. Haven't tried to time 0-60, but it jumps off the starting line very quickly. There's a lot of very nice features, radar, sonar, and all kinds of stuff. All in all, its a great car.

23. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Most people who denegrate a Prius has never driven one. You can accelerate plenty quickly in a Prius particularly in power mode. The torque of an electric motor can be very surprising if you haven't tried one.

24. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Still looks super ugly. Prius had a good design before their last major facelift, then Toyota had to go and ruin it with overly aggressive lines and curves.

25. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Having made fun of Adobe for what they consider “upgrades”, I should give equal time to Toyota:

New upgrades for 2020 include:
    • New 5th seat for even more room
    • Standard Apple CarPlay®, SiriusXM® and Amazon Alexa compatibility
    • Two additional 2.1A USB ports for the rear passengers
    • Black interior accents to replace previous white accents for a more premium feel
    • A new sun visor extender
    • A relocation of seat heater buttons for front seat passengers for easier usability
    • New grade strategy that offers LE, XLE and Limited Grades
    I’m particularly excited by the sun visor extension...