Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Again, no wireless CarPlay. Why isn’t this more widely available from the factory? However I read that BMW has a buggy wireless CarPlay interface.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I absolutely love my 2017 Prius Prime. It is fully loaded with all of the automated features and is an incredibly fun car to drive. Our daily commute is usually less than 30 miles, so we run on electric power most of the time and use very little gas.

My only complaint has been Toyota's terrible interface system and even though I know this is wishful thinking, it would be awesome if Toyota offered an Apple CarPlay retrofit/reprogramming for my year model. I would pay $500-$750 if they did!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
They’re incredibly slow, incredibly ugly, and cost the same as any other car. It’s nice they get good gas mileage, but that’s the only positive - and they still put out plenty of CO2 since they’re a gasoline powered automobile. I could see picking up a secondhand Volt for $15k, at least you can get 50 miles on a charge, and the 0-60 time is inline with other cars on the road. The Prius 0-60 time of over 10 seconds puts it right down there with 1980s pickup trucks.
Have you driven one? Electric motors have incredible torque. I ran an autocross with the crappy factory energy tires and won my class and finished in the top half overall.

As I mentioned in another post you can run on electric most of the time if it fits your driving profile. If I had then Prime when I was still working, I wouldn’t have needed to gas for my commute. The commute plus typical errands was well under the range it gets.

Last edited by a moderator:

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Forget CarPlay Toyota. Flip the switch for that 600 mile range corolla ev
[doublepost=1556935241][/doublepost]
Forget CarPlay Toyota. Flip the switch for that 600 mile range corolla ev
About time. Crazy how the rollout is so slow.
Integrating these types of things into cars is a massive undertaking. That’s just the engineering side. Flip side is working with Apple so Timmy Cook doesn’t doesn’t jack Toyota on licensing.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Seriously, I still don’t get how Tesla’s don’t have CarPlay. Using tunein is decent, but having to use the phone to stream my music library while driving is ridiculous. Never realized how much I missed CarPlay until I lost it.

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
Spend a little more and you can have a Tesla Model 3. Tesla recently added auto pilot for free to model 3 and you will never have to go to a gas station ever again. Just charge the car like you would for your Phone every night. Tesla is supposedly adding an Uber like service to their vehicles in the future when laws come into place, so your car can make money for you when you don’t use it.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
It’s good they addressed a number of my issues with it when I was shopping for a car (No 5th seat, no black interior, no carplay) but they didn’t address my biggest issue of all....it’s extremely ugly.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I’m pretty happy with my 2012 manual transmission BMW. Inline 6, NA, 50:50 balanced, rwd, sun roof, paid for!

The E90 is peak BMW. I’m never giving up my E90 335i. Nothing even comes close.

As for the Prius, well, the only time I think about one is when I have to pass them on the right because they’re hogging the left lane...

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Toyota, can you please stop making this line of cars intentionally ugly? Does it really need to look like that to have an electric motor? The machinery is great, saving gas by relying on electric drive, but the other stuff just pisses people off needlessly.

At least they somewhat fixed the awful visibility on the inside (got rid of the extra pillar). I wonder if it still plays that "truck reversing" sound internally when you go into reverse.
[doublepost=1557050246][/doublepost]
A 'car' that shouldn't exist but still does. Great. You can't even really call it a car, it's an enclosed and somehow road legal golf cart.
In what way? The power is decent despite what everyone says. Handling is so bad it's unsafe; that alone is why I'd never own one even if I didn't care about enjoying my car.

Last edited:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I like the concept of the Prius, Chevy Volt/Bolt, but why does it have to be such an ugly vehicle? Tesla’s Model S looks like a normal sedan. The model 3 is decent looking (Model X is ugly imo)

Why can’t car manufactures put their EV or Hybrid technology in a normal looking vehicle? It’s almost like the manufactures want to differentiate between the classical automobile designs and a door wedge known as a Prius.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Why can’t car manufactures put their EV or Hybrid technology in a normal looking vehicle? It’s almost like the manufactures want to differentiate between the classical automobile designs and a door wedge known as a Prius.

The reason is aerodynamics. By designing a vehicle to reduce the drag coefficient, it allows engineers to get the greatest gain in efficiency. The current model Toyota Prius Prime has the least amount of drag of any production car in the world.

Reactions: Anonymous Freak

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The reason is aerodynamics. By designing a vehicle to reduce the drag coefficient, it allows engineers to get the greatest gain in efficiency. The current model Toyota Prius Prime has the least amount of drag of any production car in the world.

This.

Look at the Audi eTron versus the Tesla Model X. The eTron is a "conventional looking" vehicle (basically an electrified Audi Q5) that gets about 200 miles of range on a 95 kWh battery pack. The Model X was designed to be sleek, and the 90D model gets about 260 mies of range on a smaller 90 kWh battery pack. (And that was with the old less efficient motors. The newer 100 kWh-only model can go 325 miles with its more efficient motors. 5% increase in battery for 62% increase in range over the Audi.)

EV/hybrid makers make their cars look funny because it means they get more range for a given battery size.

Also Volkswagen e-Golf vs. BMW i3. Both are small boxy cars. VW "take the regular Golf and make it electric" first-year e-Golf has a 26.5 kWh battery pack and goes 83 miles. Where the first-year purpose-built-as-an-electric BMW i3 got the same range out of an 18.8 kWh battery pack. (Both have gotten larger battery packs since launch.)

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

OnCampus2K

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
“A new sun visor extender has been added to make driving towards the light a more pleasant experience.”

Phrasing!

Reactions: fairuz

HotRod1962

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2019
Galveston
Please, enlighten us on what absolutely riveting vehicle tickles your fancy. I've heard that insult about the Smart ForTwo, Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, Mazda Miata, Polaris Slingshot, Morgan, and pretty much any micro-car or 3-wheeler out there, but never about a Prius. It's a normal compact/midsize sedan; whatever one in the lineup you're looking at. Tell us, what car do you use to participate in the measuring contest while simultaneously belittling others because they purchased a practical, economical mode of transportation in the form of the best selling Hybrid ever.

Jesus Skip, u got to have thicker skin than this. LOL typical efficient car owner

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Jesus Skip, u got to have thicker skin than this. LOL typical efficient car owner

Funny being able to come back with this considering your username, but I daily an Impala SS; FYI. “Typical efficient car owner”; hardly even a jab. Typical sandwich enjoying human.

Car culture is respecting everyone’s choice. It’s their vehicle for one reason or another; preference, need, force, etc. Why crap all over it? Insecurity? Sad. Must be a hoot at cruise night. Bet that open mind gains a lot of friends. Ah, that’s right, quick to judge and wrong; that’s impressive too!

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
What about the thousands of car accidents caused by people plugging in their phones and having to fumble with the non-reversable USB-A cable. Won't someone please think of the children!!!

In Massachusetts it’s seems like it’s mostly women with short hair sporting the Elizabeth warren sticker on the back, no kids.
Lol.
I know some won’t take kindly to that, but what the heck, a poke at the truth.
[doublepost=1557332101][/doublepost]
Funny being able to come back with this considering your username, but I daily an Impala SS; FYI. “Typical efficient car owner”; hardly even a jab. Typical sandwich enjoying human.

Car culture is respecting everyone’s choice. It’s their vehicle for one reason or another; preference, need, force, etc. Why crap all over it? Insecurity? Sad. Must be a hoot at cruise night. Bet that open mind gains a lot of friends. Ah, that’s right, quick to judge and wrong; that’s impressive too!

I love the looks of many cars. For me it comes down to being a make shift dining room, sometimes a place for a nap, and a means of conveyance.

Some are passionate about their cars, to some a car is a status symbol, some have a car because they need it.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I love the looks of many cars. For me it comes down to being a make shift dining room, sometimes a place for a nap, and a means of conveyance.

Some are passionate about their cars, to some a car is a status symbol, some have a car because they need it.

I admire that open-mindedness. Wish others felt the same. I have a wildly varying (small) collection of vehicles that all serve specific purposes. All older, so the daily grind doesn't sting as much. They all do what they need to do very well day in and day out. Design notwithstanding, I appreciate most - hard stare at you too; Pontiac Aztek.

Reactions: bruinsrme

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
And your input wasn't even prompted in the first place, Rod. :confused:
Therefore, my reply; warranted, since you were wildly incorrect in your poor judgement.
I'm sorry, did you just join on Tuesday only to troll a car discussion on MacRumors? Cute.

I admire that open-mindedness. Wish others felt the same.
But don’t think for a second I don’t take the opportunity to bust my buddy’s balls every time he pulls up in his Prius. And don’t think, for a second, he doesn’t reciprocate busting my balls if there’s the slightest hint about the gas my truck guzzles.
It’s all good.
The funny thing is we have gone to a couple car shows and both times he “let” me drive.

My neighbor has a GTO, it’s in fair shape.
He has no intention of restoring it.
Very down to earth. He told me this was the type of car he had when he was a teen. He enjoys it by letting his dog ride in the back seat drooling on the upholstery and leaving nose prints on the window.
Drives enthusiasts batty.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
Please, enlighten us on what absolutely riveting vehicle tickles your fancy. I've heard that insult about the Smart ForTwo, Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, Mazda Miata, Polaris Slingshot, Morgan, and pretty much any micro-car or 3-wheeler out there, but never about a Prius. It's a normal compact/midsize sedan; whatever one in the lineup you're looking at. Tell us, what car do you use to participate in the measuring contest while simultaneously belittling others because they purchased a practical, economical mode of transportation in the form of the best selling Hybrid ever.
I would say that the Accord is as small as sedans should get if you plan on more than 2 passengers. You get trunk size that is pretty useable and your passengers can actually have legs (no V6 option anymore is BS though). The Prius takes 10 seconds to get up to 60 at full throttle, which is downright unacceptable. Practical is a joke for the prius, since even with the back seats folded down you only get 65.5 ft^3 of cargo space.
[doublepost=1557411649][/doublepost]
Toyota, can you please stop making this line of cars intentionally ugly? Does it really need to look like that to have an electric motor? The machinery is great, saving gas by relying on electric drive, but the other stuff just pisses people off needlessly.

At least they somewhat fixed the awful visibility on the inside (got rid of the extra pillar). I wonder if it still plays that "truck reversing" sound internally when you go into reverse.
[doublepost=1557050246][/doublepost]
In what way? The power is decent despite what everyone says. Handling is so bad it's unsafe; that alone is why I'd never own one even if I didn't care about enjoying my car.
"decent?" It takes over 10 seconds to get to 60 flat out. It doesn't deserve to be road legal, at least not on highways.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I drive a 2013 model these days. The new ones are exponentially more expensive and the angular shape is an either "love it or hate it" design. A 20-30 mile range ev mode would be awesome but that's not my particular model. I do find the "power" mode lets me accelerate in traffic or climb hills without issue.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
You realize a base Tesla Model 3 costs $16,000 more than a base Prius, right?

If you do the math, the TCO of a Model 3 is lower than a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.
And the superiority is just inexplicable, you'd have to experience a Model 3.
No need to say anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.