Toyota Brings CarPlay, Apple Watch Support, Qi Charging and More to 2019 Avalon and Corolla Hatchback

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Back in January, Toyota finally announced support for CarPlay, becoming one of the last major car manufacturers to support Apple's system for accessing iPhone apps through a vehicle's infotainment system. Mazda, one of the other major holdouts, announced similar support last month.

[​IMG]
    2019 Toyota Avalon and Corolla Hatchback

At its January announcement, Toyota revealed that the redesigned 2019 Avalon sedan would be the first Toyota model to include CarPlay support, with other Toyota and Lexus models adding support in the future. Several of those follow-on vehicles have since been announced, including the

Article Link: Toyota Brings CarPlay, Apple Watch Support, Qi Charging and More to 2019 Avalon and Corolla Hatchback

2. cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

Kind of weird they did not do it for the Camry but did for the Corolla

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

Being do late to the game and having wireless charging one should expect they use the lates technology and offer wireless CarPlay .... total fail to have Qi without wireless CarPlay in a brand new release...

4. seeforyourself macrumors regular

Wish I was able to upgrade it to my 2017 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE :(

5. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

And apparently my 2018 Avalon Limited somehow cant be upgraded to include CarPlay.

6. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I came to snark about Toyota being late to the game, but stayed for the broader review, even though there are dozens of other vehicles I would consider buying before an Avalon. Echo criticism of wired CarPlay and Qi charging, smh.

7. AirunJae macrumors regular

AirunJae

Seems like Toyota needs to turn over the UI/UX design of Entune to literally anyone else. Will also echo at how weird for having Qi charging, but not wireless CarPlay, wiff! I also got a chuckle that the reasoning for not rolling out AndroidAuto was privacy concerns, but that they're including Alexa integration o_O

8. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

Hopefully they get this fixed for all models soon. I rented a 2018 Camry a few weeks back and that proprietary app thing is a complete and utter piece of $:&@. I was better off with basic FM and my phone on my lap for nav.

9. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Oh yeah, I forgot that they left out Android Auto! What the heck is going on over at a Toyota? There are only two mobile platforms. Is it asking too much to support both? I don’t even use Android, but this is ridiculous.

10. thoughtwell macrumors newbie

thoughtwell

I was really hoping to upgrade to a new 4Runner with wireless CarPlay in the near future. Looks like I’ll have to keep waiting a little longer.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Only 1 car manufacturer offers wireless car play, despite it being available since iOS 9 in 2015.

While it's nice, it drains the battery even faster than wireless charging can replenish it.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From my understanding it is over privacy issues. Google wants to capture lots of info, even down the speed being driven.

13. simply258 macrumors regular

I don’t understand the Toyota design philosophy. They have the “luxury” brand Lexus which they’ve recently given ugly front grills / bumpers, and now they’ve brought it over to Toyota cars, so now your “luxury” Lexus looks like a Toyota. That Avalon looks like a Lexus ES with a Toyota badge.

14. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I’m skeptical of this reasoning. Any gps will track the vehicles speed to determine ETA. Additionally, doesn’t the user have to agree to share info with Google? I’m more concerned about the security of Entune. I haven’t tried the latest iteration but my conclusion from a 2017 Toyota was it’s hot garbage compared to Android Auto and CarPlay. With remote start features coming, this is an even bigger threat of Entune being the weak link.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is possible for the 2019 Camry according to the article.

Also been following the bloggers about the new 2019 Corolla Hatchback. There was a recent driving impressions events, in addition to the one this author was at. One blogger mentioned that the 2019 C-HR was to gain Apple CarPlay as well. And with this article there may be others as well.

According the the blogs there is a long shot hope that the 2018 Camry will get be able to upgrade to Apple CarPlay since it is using Toyota’s ETune 3.0 as well. The news that Toyota is finally embracing Apple CarPlay, at least for 2019 models. I have a 6 and 1/2 year old Prius. Running great, but I really want the newer safety features that are standard on the newer cars.

The question will come up why Toyota is not announcing Apple CarPlay for all new 2019 Toyota’s. The reason is simple, they are facing inventories of 2018’s that need to be moved. Otherwise they would have more folks like me waiting by the fence for the 2019’s.

16. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Those grills are hideous, but I guess you can say that they are distinctive. No one else puts that particular ugly grill on their car, so you instantly know it’s a Toyota.

17. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Don’t really understand why someone would spend $40k on a Toyota when they make Lexus...

18. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

I would even take a redesigned 4Runner without CarPlay at this point. LOL. Entune sucks so badly in my 2016

19. liberte1776 macrumors regular

So will Toyota suck or will they retrofit this for the 2018 Corolla?

20. justme1 macrumors member

We have an Avalon that we traded in a Lexus ES for, and I can assure you that it's the same car with a few less features. Btw, we really like the Avalon, and it was $7,000 cheaper (sticker price) than the ES350

21. Bogies4 macrumors newbie

Bogies4

Well, Toyota, just lost a2019 Avalon sale. I've been waiting to retire my 2011 Avalon now that Toyota finally added Car Play. But "plug-in". Talk about inconvenience. Currently just leave iPhone in my pocket and can listen to Bluetooth Audio and get and receive calls. Get messages easy to see with Apple Watch, but having Car Play would have been great. But can't think of on easier way to forget your phone than to leave your car with your phone hidden in the console plugged in.
    Sorry, Toyota, after years of holding steady with you guys, I think it's time to look elsewhere.

22. adamjackson macrumors 65816

From reporting on Macintosh Rumors to Reviewing cars, MacRumors has come a long way.

..maybe time for a re-name / re-brand?

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree that Toyota/Lexus is trying too hard to find a corporate identity for their brands. Resulting in be all over the place. Unlike Mazda. It seems that Toyota is split on the low end like the new 2019 Corolla, 2019 Yaris, and the likes of the 2018 Camry and 2019 Avalon...

24. technole macrumors regular

technole

Toyota/Lexus got a bit arrogant and believed their own system would be better and surpass Airplay need. The surveys came out about must have features, and obviously they found out they could be left behind.

But I wouldn't doubt some upgrade program they could charge to get Airplay someday on current Entune 3.0 models.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Wish I could find the blog post, but there was data that Google anted that Toyota did not want to share. Having gone thru a online marketing meeting, it is was scary what Google wants in order to comply in order to be listed in their searches. It was Google wants this and Google wants that.