Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toyota today announced that CarPlay and Android Auto will be standard features in its all-new 2020 Corolla in the United States.

2020-toyota-corolla-carplay-800x534.jpg
CarPlay in 2020 Corolla

CarPlay will be accessible through Toyota's standard Entune 3.0 multimedia system alongside Android Auto and Amazon Alexa. The base model 2020 Corolla is equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen, while the LE trim and above feature a larger 8-inch display. All models use wired CarPlay via USB ports.

Toyota says the 2020 Corolla will be available at dealerships this March, starting at $19,500 in the United States.

Toyota was a longtime CarPlay holdout, but it now offers Apple's platform in the 2019 and later Avalon, Camry, Corolla Hatchback, C-HR, RAV4, and Sienna as well as the 2020 Corolla, Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, 4Runner, and Supra. Read our review of CarPlay in the 2019 Avalon and 2019 Corolla Hatchback.

CarPlay provides convenient access to frequently used iPhone apps such as Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Music, and Spotify directly from the dashboard. The platform was introduced in 2014 and is now offered in over 500 vehicle models in the United States, according to Apple.

Article Link: Toyota Corolla is Finally Getting CarPlay

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
I just got CarPlay in a new car (Jeep Grand Cherokee). It is truly excellent. An unsung part of the Apple ecosystem

That said, I wish I had wireless CarPlay. I consistently forget to plug my iPhone in before driving off. I now see how a wireless version would be the way to go

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Does it have a DVD player and DTT?

Which cars come with Blu Ray from the factory?

SACD is not available anymore for cars :mad:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wireless CarPlay would get much more use from me. Right now my iPhone is at 100% charge. I am going to go to the field here in a little bit to do some work at some remote offices and want to use CarPlay, but don't want to charge my phone. So I'll just stick to plain ol' bluetooth. Not sure why it isn't more common. My car supports wireless connectivity, hotspot, and of course bluetooth.

Reactions: wwetech

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
CarPlay is nice, but without wireless, to me it’s useless. I would rather go aftermarket since they now offer wireless CarPlay.

Why would it be useless? There are some great aftermarket iPhone holders (e.g. Brodit) that keep your phone charged on a long journey. I have one in my Toyota. It's such a pain that CarPlay doesn't feature on my car.

Reactions: Kris28

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Toyota says the 2020 Corolla will be available at dealerships this March, starting at $19,500 in the United States.

A $19,500 Corolla. Welcome to the future. I guess relative to most new cars (I think ASP of USA new car sales in 2018 was like $37,000), the Corolla is still a bargain but 20K for a Corolla seems like a practical joke.

Reactions: realeric

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Wireless CarPlay would get much more use from me. Right now my iPhone is at 100% charge. I am going to go to the field here in a little bit to do some work at some remote offices and want to use CarPlay, but don't want to charge my phone. So I'll just stick to plain ol' bluetooth. Not sure why it isn't more common. My car supports wireless connectivity, hotspot, and of course bluetooth.

If you plug your phone in when it is at 100% it won't charge... not sure what the big deal is.
[doublepost=1551192652][/doublepost]Finally! (Not that I'd ever drive a Corolla.)

I don't get the hangup with wired vs wireless carplay. Half the time I'm using carplay I'm also using GPS, which is going to put a drain on your battery - so I want it to have a power source. It's going to be using even more power to transmit all the carplay data wirelessly. Yes, I know there is wireless charging. Wireless charging + GPS + transmitting carplay data = really warm/hot phone.

Is it really that hard to just plug in one cable? Someone on here refuses to use it because it isn't wireless? That's crazy. It's not like you're moving all over while you're sitting in your car and the cord is going to get in the way.

Last edited:

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
CarPlay is nice, but without wireless, to me it’s useless. I would rather go aftermarket since they now offer wireless CarPlay.

I used one wireless system, delay in audio in some cases was annoying. But that could have been the car manuf.

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Why would it be useless? There are some great aftermarket iPhone holders (e.g. Brodit) that keep your phone charged on a long journey. I have one in my Toyota. It's such a pain that CarPlay doesn't feature on my car.

Because my current setup already has what I need, plugging in my phone would be a downgrade for me especially in the summer.

Wow, useless? I would think it would have some utility, like playing music, provide directions, and since it's wired it would also charge your phone while you do all that.

95% of the time I would use CarPlay my phone is already close to fully charged. My current unit already does play music over Bluetooth and usb. I find that even though I’m not hot and need no AC, my phone does when it’s charging because it overheats in Cali summers.

If you plug your phone in when it is at 100% it won't charge... not sure what the big deal is.
[doublepost=1551192652][/doublepost]Finally! (Not that I'd ever drive a Corolla.)

I don't get the hangup with wired vs wireless carplay. Half the time I'm using carplay I'm also using GPS, which is going to put a drain on your battery - so I want it to have a power source. It's going to be using even more power to transmit all the carplay data wirelessly. Yes, I know there is wireless charging. Wireless charging + GPS + transmitting carplay data = really warm/hot phone.

Is it really that hard to just plug in one cable? Someone on here refuses to use it because it isn't wireless? That's crazy. It's not like you're moving all over while you're sitting in your car and the cord is going to get in the way.

My phone overheats if I plug it in during summer. I’m not turning on AC just for my phone. Plus my second truck doesn’t even have AC. I’m basically saying I wouldn’t upgrade from current system that already has Bluetooth and nav unless it’s Wireless CarPlay.

I used one wireless system, delay in audio in some cases was annoying. But that could have been the car manuf.

The demos I have seen of wireless CarPlay don’t seem to have any noticeable delay, but for me it doesn’t matter, I’m not watching videos anyways where audio/video sync would be an issue.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018

My experience with wireless carplay on my Pioneer unit over the past 6 months is that using GPS navigation causes negligible battery drain. When using the phone standalone for navigation, sure, the screen stays on and that can chew through battery but with carplay the phone screen stays off. Yeah I can see wanting to plug in my phone to charge if I'm going on an extended trip but If I'm using it on something like a 2-hour trip or around town and use navigation I'll just leave my phone in my pocket and it's never an issue.

I don't see not having wireless carplay as a deal breaker but it's certainly nice to just get in the car and go without thinking to plug in the phone.

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Those aftermarket wireless systems like the Alpine ILX start at $700 and don’t have android auto. Tough to swallow when some wired aftermarket units are around $300.

Agreed. It’s nice to not spend that much. I’m going to wait for the prices to come down. I guess you gotta pay to ‘Car’play.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I love the fact that my CarPlay stereo is wired. I get to use CarPlay and my phone charges. Win win!

With the wireless units you can use them wireless or wired. If you plug the phone in it uses wired CarPlay, if you don't, you can still use CarPlay.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
My experience with wireless carplay on my Pioneer unit over the past 6 months is that using GPS navigation causes negligible battery drain. When using the phone standalone for navigation, sure, the screen stays on and that can chew through battery but with carplay the phone screen stays off. Yeah I can see wanting to plug in my phone to charge if I'm going on an extended trip but If I'm using it on something like a 2-hour trip or around town and use navigation I'll just leave my phone in my pocket and it's never an issue.

I don't see not having wireless carplay as a deal breaker but it's certainly nice to just get in the car and go without thinking to plug in the phone.

Fair enough.

I'm just kind of of the opinion that if I've got a handy power source and I'm just sitting still I might as well be using it/charging rather than using battery power.

Rotorheadbob

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Wash DC
This announcement is for the 2020 Corolla Sedan, the newly redesigned Corolla Hatchback already has Apple CarPlay. It would be nice if it were wireless, but it’s OK as it comes. My Corolla doesn’t have navigation, so I use Google Maps.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
A $19,500 Corolla. Welcome to the future. I guess relative to most new cars (I think ASP of USA new car sales in 2018 was like $37,000), the Corolla is still a bargain but 20K for a Corolla seems like a practical joke.

I think I paid a little more than that for my Camry when I bought it new in 2009

Reactions: adamjackson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.