track pad / bluetooth issue

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I just purchased a new magic trackpad 2, for my 2018 Mac Mini.

it works perfectly - totally wubbulous - when connected via USB, but not at all if it's not wired / connected.

is this as it should be? I was under the impression it would also work via Bluetooth. Of course, I am thinking it should also work via Bluetooth, because I have properly (I think) set up the Bluetooth in the system preferences. (see screen shot)

any feedback / suggestions / ideas?

thanks very much as always!

w

Attachments

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Are you having any issues connecting other bluetooth accessories or is it just the trackpad?
oh! I haven't tried any other bluetooth device.

trying now with a bluetooth headset I usually use with my phone. Seems to be more or less okay, although there's some static / skipping. not sure what's causing that.

nuts! I realize my answer here is inconclusive. not sure if it's the device or it's the Mini unit itself.

one thing I notice - visible in the screenshot - in the DEVICES panel, there is a spinning wheel that keeps spinning, does not stop. is that as it should be?

W

benshive

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2017
United States
That spinning wheel is normal. It's just indicating that the device is searching for nearby bluetooth devices.
To troubleshoot I'd probably:
1st: Restart the Mac and see if it works
2nd: If that doesn't fix it, hold down shift + option and click the bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Then hover over debug and select "Reset the bluetooth module." You'll have to reconnect any bluetooth devices again after.
3rd: If that doesn't fix it try resetting NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
That spinning wheel is normal. It's just indicating that the device is searching for nearby bluetooth devices.
To troubleshoot I'd probably:
1st: Restart the Mac and see if it works
2nd: If that doesn't fix it, hold down shift + option and click the bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Then hover over debug and select "Reset the bluetooth module." You'll have to reconnect any bluetooth devices again after.
3rd: If that doesn't fix it try resetting NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

thank YOU!

have already restarted several times, so will skip to #2 & #3.

recently I had an issue with ethernet, and applecare advised me to
Hold down SHIFT - CONTROL - OPTION + POWER KEYS (with the Mac being powered off)
but I gather that is not the same as setting the NVRAM.

thanks again!

w

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
thank YOU!

have already restarted several times, so will skip to #2 & #3.

recently I had an issue with ethernet, and applecare advised me to
Hold down SHIFT - CONTROL - OPTION + POWER KEYS (with the Mac being powered off)
but I gather that is not the same as setting the NVRAM.

thanks again!

w
No, what you did with Applecare was an SMC reset.

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Have a look at his thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-2018-bluetooth-issues.2157086 , if you have a USB hub plugged in to the outermost port it can interfere with the Bluetooth. I bought a cheap type C to A adaptor and seems to have solved the problem for me, I just keep the lightning cable plugged in the dodgy port.

Kwozzii
Thank you! It seems like the simplest thing to do, apart from experimenting with what is plugged into the furthermost USB port on the mini, is to get a separate Bluetooth transmitter dongle. I see they range in prices from about 3 bucks to 50 or 60 bucks. Can anyone recommend one that they have used, particularly with the Mac Mini? Thanks very much for all your input!

Reactions: Kwozzii

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
this is why I love you guys.

Quick summary: yes, of course, I had a USB3 hub plugged into that USB port. (it's the hub on the far right when you are facing the back panel, or on the left when the back panel is facing away from you.)

When I took out the hub, and left the port open, to my surprise, the Bluetooth suddenly worked! (In other words, the trackpad was able to connect, and so far stay connected, via bluetooth ... unwired.)

So that's one way to get this to work. The other way, which I am also going to try, is to use a separate bluetooth transmitter dongle. A couple of quick questions regarding that:

1. can anyone recommend a specific bluetooth transmitter dongle? I see that they come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, price ranges.

2. the bluetooth transmitter dongle apparently also works via USB. would I then be able to plug it into that same port (far right when facing the panel directly) ??

thanks again, everyone!

w

Reactions: Kwozzii