trackpad and keyboard not responding....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krossfyter, Oct 24, 2008.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yep my trackpad and keyboard are not responding on my macbook. num lock key is off. when i use mouse (external) than the pointer works ... i can move around. still cant access the keyboard. anyone know whats up?
    been thru this before?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try Restarting your machine, see if that helps. Else, try Shutting down and leaving your Mac off for a while then turn on and try again.

You can also skip all these steps and go to the Genius and ask him to take a look. If its under warranty you'll get a new one.

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thnx. yep tried restarting numerous times. nothing. its under warranty. went to the mac store, told me i need an appointment.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

then make one, you'll get replacement

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yep just did. thnx. replacement keyboard or macbook? is there a wait?

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You will get a brand new computer. If for some reason they want you to send it for repair, escalate it up to a manager. Plenty of people have gotten replacements for far less serious issues, myself included. If for some reason they are out of stock, you should get one in a matter of a few days. Do not leave without either a fixed computer, a new computer, or claim check for a replacement. And don't say Mac Store when you're there. They hate that.

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay.. wont say "mac store".

if they tell me something to the extent that i should leave it there and they will fix it or send to apple and i should get it back fixed... what now? so if they fix it there and i go back home with it fix on the same day thats okay.... as opposed to them saying it will be fixed in a couple of days? why so?

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

all they'll try at the Genius Bar is to revive it via software methods...maybe restore/re-update/other software tweaks. If it is physically defective, they will not fix it there. They have only minor hardware capabilites in-store...adding RAM, changing a hard drive, etc...no diagnostic benches or soldering stations. Thus, if they can't fix it via software, it is likely physically defective, and you will get a new computer on the spot. Like I said, if they are out of stock, you will have to wait for stock, ususally a couple of days. Just note your current serial number.

I can't imagine they would, but if they try to get you to leave it for a physical repair, whereby they want to send it off to a repair center, and make you wait for it, don't let them. Demand, nicely, a fresh computer. I am 99.9% sure it won't even come to that.

9. ptsube macrumors 6502

"No soup for you."

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

are these options.... sans them sending it to apple for repair and me waiting... stated in the warranty? just curious as to where you are getting your information. thanks for being so kind to educate me on this. thank you.

11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lol.... so okay... why do they hate anyone calling it the "mac store" . just curious.

what should i call it?

12. ptsube macrumors 6502

I would like to know too. Sounds a little like the Soup Nazi.