Trackpad Clicking Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xypheric, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Xypheric macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone my first apple product (My Macbook Pro) arrived on thursday. I felt wrong opening it up the day i got it to upgrade the ram so i waited till today. Everything went very smooth ram fit great and screws went back in with ease as far as i can tell.

Afterwards I noticed that the trackpad seems to have a resistance or needs to be pushed harder near the top and specifically the corners. Ive only had it 2 days and I wanted to make sure this was normal, and if not if it was something i might have done or if I should take it into the store to have them take a look at it. Otherwise tell me im paranoid and enjoy my new toy.

Thanks in advance everyone, you are always such a great resource!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's normal - the trackpad is hinged at the top, so it's really meant to be "clicked" lower down. I would say the normal use would be to click with the side of your thumb, and drag with a finger (doing a "click-to-drag").

Personally, I use tap-to-click. It takes a lot less effort, is silent, and works anywhere on the pad.

Since I got my Magic Trackpad, I've also been using three-finger drag. I needed to do this because I use the trackpad on a soft surface and the mechanical switches won't function. Three-finger drag took a bit of getting use to, but it's second nature now (on either trackpad).

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

The trackpad should work like this:
    • The bottom half should be extremely easy to push
    • The top half, almost with a gradient, gets harder the higher you go
    • The top corners should be almost impossible to click

4. Xypheric thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much. The gradient is a great description.

Also its just as you described where the top corners are unclickable. Thank you for taking some of my fears away and quick responses!