Trackpad Multitouch just software update? [Probably Wrong]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VaDor, Feb 13, 2008.

1. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

"Spreading advanced multitouch technology to other MacBooks may be simpler than expected by the public, an Apple spokesperson has revealed. While the Air is currently the only MacBook to support gestures such as pinching and swiping, the Apple representative notes that this is entirely software-based. As a result, existing MacBooks and MacBook Pros may gain the extra commands in the future, though no official release plans have been laid out.
    Concern had been raised in the industry that earlier MacBooks would be left behind in terms of interface, requiring a hardware refresh that has yet to manifest. Multitouch on these systems is currently limited to scrolling through browser windows, or performing right-click commands. The addition of Air-like controls to the Pro could prove especially useful, allowing new commands in programs like Aperture, Final Cut and Photoshop" From MacNN.com

So if this is true, it confirms what I has suspecting... that our macbook are capable of doing the same thing that macbook air :D

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

There have been several other posts about this and it certainly seems to be the case.

But would Apple offer a free update? I doubt it personally as the multitouch pad would be a big incentive for current MB/MBP owners to consider an upgrade...

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

This is not the case, I recall in one of the dismantle the MBA articles they said that the MBA contained the same chip as the iPhone used for detecting touch. This would mean that the old trackpad could not be upgraded via software.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Ok, then who here is a programmer and is able to write an app that will allow the regular touchpad to become multitouch?? ;)

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

If it's just an update Apple should just release it, eventually.. but the chances are slim. Dang.

7. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Apple, is almost definitely going to bring this functionality to the next rev MB/MBPs. Whether they will release an update to support the current gen is questionable. Especially considering that two-finger scrolling is now capable on pre-05 PBs/iBook's thanks to 3rd party app, iScroll2 and not Apple. So we will probably see a similar SF project to deliver this functionality to the MBP.

8. GeneKam macrumors regular

in case you guys dont know,the multi touch is hardware based. The proccessor that is in MBA is the same on a the one in the iphone. We all have older once. So there is no luck for us.

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

It is indeed software based... see/read below...

10. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

11. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

12. Fourno macrumors newbie

they posted this news today on macwereld.nl, a dutch mac-site.
    So i do believe this is just a software-update, because they claim Apple said so.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The original source of this rumor (T3) has pulled the article, so it's probably false.

arn

14. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Isn't the trackpad already multi-touch? It can differentiate between two fingers and one finger (scroll v. pointer movement).

15. GeneKam macrumors regular

waht did i tell you foos, it is all hardware based

16. Fezzasus macrumors regular

I'm not convinced that it's because of a lack of hardware support.

Current MB/MBP's do have multitouch capacity; To rotate photos, they would just be able to recognise different movements, additionally once the software/hardware can recognise more than 1 input, i don't see why it would stop at 2.

Remember the MBA doesn't share many components with other computers, yet functions almost the same. The hardware that recognises multitouch on the MPA may simply be a different solution to the hardware that recognises multi touch on the MB/MBPs.

It was thought that previous ibooks were unable to support 2 finger scrolling but a simple 3rd party software update changed that.

That said, I don't see the use of the additional strokes. The rotation feature is limited to 90 degree turns, fine for adjusting raw pictures, not so fine when adjusting by a few degrees in iphoto.