Trade down to lesser-priced model / 4GB RAM considered customized?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PDFierro, Jul 25, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I saw someone else make a post about what I'm looking to do, but no clear answers were given. I bought a 11-inch ultimate that will be here on Wednesday, and now I'm looking to trade down to a different configuration.

I know you can't return CTO Macs, so what are my options in this case? Do they allow exchanges like this, or am I stuck trying to sell it on eBay and get most of my money back and then buy the new one I want from Apple?

Also, is adding 4GB of RAM considered a CTO if that's the only change I want to make? It seems like that when I go to order it online, but perhaps they would have a 4GB RAM model in my local Apple store.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm pretty sure you can return CTO configurations.

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

You can exchange or return CTOs as long as you haven't had it for more than 2 weeks. Cheers

4. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

That shocks me, because I was under the impression you couldn't. At least from what I read when I researched it.

I ordered with student discounting. My order status page says I'm currently ineligible for a return, but I assume that would change when I actually receive it. Is there anything different I would have to do because I ordered with discount pricing? The status pages says I would have to do it over the phone.

What would be my best option then? Return and order the new one, or how would an exchange work in my case? I'm also not sure what happens with the $100 gift card.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

You can return CTOs, but you obviously need to receive it first. Also, you have to return it through shipping, not in-store. 4 GB RAM is CTO for the 64 GB 11" Air, and standard in the all the other Airs.

6. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

This gives me a huge amount of relief, so thanks! As funny as it may sound, I'm looking to trade down from a 11-inch ultimate to a 11-inch with 4GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD. If I do this, should I try my luck in store or just order online again?

7. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Can anyone offer any further information on this return policy? Since mine is a discounted order, I will have to call up Apple instead of doing the return process online. It also says I can return the original item for credit and place a new order.

I just got it today, wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. Is it 14 days from the date I get the RMA, or 14 days to have it back in Apple's hands? Also, surely I am free to open it and at least use it today/tomorrow if that's what I want to do?

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What did Apple say when you called them?

9. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I didn't call them yet, just got home a little bit ago.

10. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

So, I did get my return issued. Just got off the phone with Apple. They even said I could open it and test it out before shipping it off.

Thanks!