Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I swapped my iPhone 4 for a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket a few months back and it was the worst week of my life. The battery life was worse than anything I ever expected and depending how you charged it, I have USB power connectors next to my wall sockets integrated, it did not even show the correct usage until a hard reboot. I gave it a whole week to really make it work, but then I came running to the store to exchange it for an iPhone 4S. Now I am screwed to get the new one for a subsidized price until next year.

Took you that long grumpycompuprof ? Had my Samsung Galaxy a few hours and took it back the next day. :eek: Never again.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It boils down to opinion. I use the HTC one x and would never go back to the iPhone 4s. It's just a better phone that works well for me.

----------

Anyone tried the Galaxy Nexus?
I have it. Great phone as well. No complaints about it.

Simoquasimo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Finland
My friend has Galaxy SII and he borrowed my iPhone 4 for a while to surf because his phone was out of battery.

After using my iPhone he said that there is night and day difference in usability and also in hardware solidness (iPhone feel so much better built) compared to Galaxy SII. He has always liked Android but might be going for iPhone next time :)

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Lol cant think of a most simple and probably faster way to transfer music to a device :p not sure why he say "worst way" ; never used the sync fom itunes, i just drag and drop manually.

I suppose preferences on how to manage music depend on how you use iTunes itself.

I couldn't begin to imagine having to manage music manually. Using iTunes's Smart Playlists, I've set up my phone so that whenever it syncs over WiFi it will:

• Update my play counts so that iTunes knows how often I've listened to the tracks already on my iPhone
  • Put 10 of my highest-rated, most-played albums on my phone
  • Put 400 of the highest rated, but least-played songs on my phone
  • Put my 3 most recently-purchased albums on the iPhone
  • Lastly, put 1GB of randomly-selected music on the phone, excluding any tracks I've rated 2-stars or lower

This works brilliantly. I have a good selection of music I like and have played recently, music I like but haven't heard for a while, my new purchases and a load of tracks that I haven't said I don't like.

Phone goes in the dock at night and does all this while I sleep. And if I want anything that I don't have on the phone, I can always stream it via the Plex app.

For me, manual file management couldn't work for a music library of anything over a few hundred songs.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010

I went from iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Nexus for a few months -> Selling nexus -> Mom's old iPhone 3GS while I wait for the new iPhone

Galaxy Nexus was nice to watch 720p movies and there were some really nice aspects of Android that I enjoyed but ultimately I was left disappointed.

- Lack of removable media means I have to connect my phone via USB. The phone also doesn't show up as mass storage so you can't even drag and drop. You have to use some buggy software that Google provides if you want to drag and drop stuff over

- Horrible battery life

- I didn't like the 'light' plasticky feeling compared to the solid weighty feeling of the iPhone

- Speaker was HORRIBLE. It was very tinny and extremely quiet.

- Finally, my biggest problem with the phone was the GPU. IMO, the gpu on the nexus is underpowered for a 1280 x 720 display. I enjoy playing games on my phone but games like shadow gun were playable but not smooth and quite laggy at times.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
You don't have to sync music, you can just drag and drop it, or copy paste it, how is that hard?

Drag and drop works ok if you're using a Windows based machine. If you're using a Mac, the latest Samsung firmware update stopped the Android USB File transfer app from working.

As someone else said, the somewhat naff Kies software doesn't work with Mountain Lion either.

The only satisfactory way I found to transfer music from my Mac to an S3 was to insert a micro sd card with adaptor into the Mac's card reader, and drag and drop to that. I tried several other apps such as iSyncr, Syncmate, easy phone sync and many others. They were all rubbish.

In all honesty, I found the S3 to be a good phone when I had one for a month or so. In the end, not being able to see the screen when the sun was out, app choice, lack of backup options and connectivity issues made me want to sell it and get an iPhone 4S again though.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I picked up a nexus 7 just so I could play around with Android in a contract free setting. I really like the OS a lot, and I love being able to install tweaks without jumping through hoops. But I think my experiment has taught me that for a phone, I personally should be sticking with iOS. I like the S3 a lot too, I have used a friends off and on and it has a lot of cool stuff. But like you're saying, for some things the iPhone just works better without having to install any special software. I am a fan of the Apple ecosystem. I'm one of those weirdos that thinks iTunes is ok and I don't mind "having" to sync my phone to it (which you don't have to, but it seems that is a big complaint amongst non-iPhone users).

I am going to keep an eye on Android, I'm pretty interested to see the new nexus phone this fall. But I have a feeling I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Drag and drop works ok if you're using a Windows based machine. If you're using a Mac, the latest Samsung firmware update stopped the Android USB File transfer app from working.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, that is a problem. I hope it gets resolved.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I went from iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Nexus for a few months -> Selling nexus -> Mom's old iPhone 3GS while I wait for the new iPhone

Galaxy Nexus was nice to watch 720p movies and there were some really nice aspects of Android that I enjoyed but ultimately I was left disappointed.

- Lack of removable media means I have to connect my phone via USB. The phone also doesn't show up as mass storage so you can't even drag and drop. You have to use some buggy software that Google provides if you want to drag and drop stuff over

- Horrible battery life

- I didn't like the 'light' plasticky feeling compared to the solid weighty feeling of the iPhone

- Speaker was HORRIBLE. It was very tinny and extremely quiet.

- Finally, my biggest problem with the phone was the GPU. IMO, the gpu on the nexus is underpowered for a 1280 x 720 display. I enjoy playing games on my phone but games like shadow gun were playable but not smooth and quite laggy at times.

I'll have to reconsider after reading this. Even the iPhone can have decent USB browsing with drag and drop.

Bad battery life? How long can the phone last while doing, let's say, light web browsing, instant push email and eBook reading?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Have been in doubt about a new smartphone : iphone or android. Have looked at the One X, the galaxy nexus and finally bought a used 4S (only 6 months old, under warranty).
I can say only this : quality in my hand...

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I sold my iPhone 4 last year thinking I wanted a change, and I sure got one. I bought an HTC Inspire, which at the time was AT&T's best offering on the Android platform. I lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. After about two hours of continual use my battery would be down to 30%, the camera and mp3 players were not very good at all. I thought I had traveled back in time ala BlackBerry with all the freeze ups and battery pulls, and the app store for Android is pretty much lame. This was MY experience only, if you have one and like it that's good, I was not impressed.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm thinking of getting the Galaxy 3 instead of the new IP coming soon to a store near you. Consumer Reports give the Galaxy their top rating with the IP4 S pulling up the 10TH SPOT although all the first 10 are rated fairly close....

Hah. You go right ahead and use CR for buying smartphones and see how that works out for you. Those guys are a joke for anything beyond a washer & dryer set.

Nope. Not anyone in this entire forum. Ever.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I have a Galaxy S3 and I love it..But its def not as simple to use as an iPhone. Android is def not for everyone but it does have its advantages. Apples and Oranges.lol.(no Pun intended :p)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The main reason I stay with apple is b.c the whole ecosystem. Many others have mentioned this, and no on else can even come close to competing at the moment. I think If I solely used my phone as a stand alone device I would be ok using android based phones, but since I need my devices to work together I will stay with iphones.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've tried several Android phones but always ended up coming back to the iPhone.

- The biggest reason was always the battery life. Those things would always die so quickly if you actually use many of the "features" that supposedly make them better than iPhones. None I've used could last the entire day like my iPhone 4 and 4S did. Yes even the high-end ones like the GS2, HTC One, and GS3 I have tried.

- The quality of apps. Android now has a version for most of the apps that I use on iOS. Problem is that they are usually more buggy, slower, or missing some features. There were often problems with some apps constantly needing forced closes and/or freezing. The music player on the iPhone trumps any of those that I've tried on Android. Also the Android OS is the only one that still doesn't have a built in group messaging feature.

- Lack of backup options. I like the fact that on the iPhone when you backup and restore your phone it restores everything to the new phone exactly as it was on the old phone. I still have messages stored on my 4S that were from conversations I had with people back in 2008 on my 3G iPhone.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
So it's basically the same as when someone buys a new iPhone.

They have to install iTunes to get music on it. It won't work without.

There's a crap load of stuff you neither want nor need (stocks etc) but you can't remove it or even hide the icons.

It feels like a new pc. Until you set it up the way you want it.

The battery is crap and barely lasts a day.

I see no difference.

Two of my friends have the SIII. They get two days battery with 3G, Bluetooth and wifi constantly on. I have a 4s. I barely get one with no 3G or Bluetooth on and wifi on when needed.

Both are flagship phones. Both are fantastic devices. But what you just described was how I felt when I first got an iPhone. Thankfully I stuck with it and am very happy I did.

I'm really tempted by the SIII. Have passed up some great offers on one because I just can't bring myself to make the jump. But if I did. It would be just like setting up an iPhone for a first time user.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I have read all the reviews, i have seen all the videos also. Samsung Galaxy S3
is a great phone etc etc.

I traded the phone for my iPhone 4S and i know i can sell this phone but i really regret it. First thing i read is "the battery is great" BS. This thing drains pretty quick and i have locations services off, bluetooth off, GPS off etc etc.

I just plugged it in to my mac and this **** won't appear anywhere on the mac and i had to look for a stupid app called "Phonetunes" to sync some music from mac but i had to install on both phone and mac. (********)

It is pretty annoying how you have to sync music, that and the samsung (Kies) software also.

There is so much stuff on the phone that is not needed and i really can't believe this is all pre-loaded.

Basically feels like a new PC with all this software you will never use
pre-installed.

The phone has too many options it becomes pretty annoying.

i have been using iPhone 2g to 4S and i really think this phone is not that great.

I know this has been said over and over, "You don't realize how incredibly well and smooth iOS operates and how everything just works until you try android"

No Comparison

I will sell this phone as there is already buyers but i wanted to see if anyone here has tried this phone and maybe it is just me?I am the one lone soul who thinks it is not that great.

I think the other guy got the better end of the deal.(So far)
Though i used iphone 4s all year and will use this money for "New iPhone".

Dude that sucks lol.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So it's basically the same as when someone buys a new iPhone.

They have to install iTunes to get music on it. It won't work without.

There's a crap load of stuff you neither want nor need (stocks etc) but you can't remove it or even hide the icons.

It feels like a new pc. Until you set it up the way you want it.

The battery is crap and barely lasts a day.

I see no difference.

Two of my friends have the SIII. They get two days battery with 3G, Bluetooth and wifi constantly on. I have a 4s. I barely get one with no 3G or Bluetooth on and wifi on when needed.

Both are flagship phones. Both are fantastic devices. But what you just described was how I felt when I first got an iPhone. Thankfully I stuck with it and am very happy I did.

I'm really tempted by the SIII. Have passed up some great offers on one because I just can't bring myself to make the jump. But if I did. It would be just like setting up an iPhone for a first time user.

I really do not believe that at all. No one who uses their phone, even just a casual user, will get 2 days with any recent smart phone.

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
How did you manage to read my mind so well?

I've tried several Android phones but always ended up coming back to the iPhone.

- The biggest reason was always the battery life. Those things would always die so quickly if you actually use many of the "features" that supposedly make them better than iPhones. None I've used could last the entire day like my iPhone 4 and 4S did. Yes even the high-end ones like the GS2, HTC One, and GS3 I have tried.

- The quality of apps. Android now has a version for most of the apps that I use on iOS. Problem is that they are usually more buggy, slower, or missing some features. There were often problems with some apps constantly needing forced closes and/or freezing. The music player on the iPhone trumps any of those that I've tried on Android. Also the Android OS is the only one that still doesn't have a built in group messaging feature.

- Lack of backup options. I like the fact that on the iPhone when you backup and restore your phone it restores everything to the new phone exactly as it was on the old phone. I still have messages stored on my 4S that were from conversations I had with people back in 2008 on my 3G iPhone.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I suppose preferences on how to manage music depend on how you use iTunes itself.

I couldn't begin to imagine having to manage music manually. Using iTunes's Smart Playlists, I've set up my phone so that whenever it syncs over WiFi it will:

• Update my play counts so that iTunes knows how often I've listened to the tracks already on my iPhone
  • Put 10 of my highest-rated, most-played albums on my phone
  • Put 400 of the highest rated, but least-played songs on my phone
  • Put my 3 most recently-purchased albums on the iPhone
  • Lastly, put 1GB of randomly-selected music on the phone, excluding any tracks I've rated 2-stars or lower

This works brilliantly. I have a good selection of music I like and have played recently, music I like but haven't heard for a while, my new purchases and a load of tracks that I haven't said I don't like.

Phone goes in the dock at night and does all this while I sleep. And if I want anything that I don't have on the phone, I can always stream it via the Plex app.

For me, manual file management couldn't work for a music library of anything over a few hundred songs.

This is exactly why I can't bring myself to try an Android or Windows phone. I have 6 years of play history, smart playlists, etc. Like you said, with almost 12,000 songs, you can't do drag and drop. I don't want to store anywhere close to all 12,000 songs on my devices. Before the first iPhone I always thought more like that. Then I got the first 8 GB iPhone and quickly learned how to use playlists to have a manageable, self updating and varying variety of music on my phone. I keep around 2000 songs on my device. I welcome 64 gig so I can start carrying some of my music videos and a few more songs.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
It does? How?

I use something called iPhone folders for Windows.

----------

This is exactly why I can't bring myself to try an Android or Windows phone. I have 6 years of play history, smart playlists, etc. Like you said, with almost 12,000 songs, you can't do drag and drop. I don't want to store anywhere close to all 12,000 songs on my devices. Before the first iPhone I always thought more like that. Then I got the first 8 GB iPhone and quickly learned how to use playlists to have a manageable, self updating and varying variety of music on my phone. I keep around 2000 songs on my device. I welcome 64 gig so I can start carrying some of my music videos and a few more songs.

Does iTunes have to be opened manually? I would like to do this.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It boils down to opinion. I use the HTC one x and would never go back to the iPhone 4s. It's just a better phone that works well for me

I have never used the One X... but my friend has it and wishes he had the GS3. Everyone has there own opinion and prefers one to another usually.

The main reason I stay with apple is b.c the whole ecosystem. Many others have mentioned this, and no on else can even come close to competing at the moment. I think If I solely used my phone as a stand alone device I would be ok using android based phones, but since I need my devices to work together I will stay with iphones.

This is the same for me. I sold my iPhone already, so I am using the GS3 during the return period while I wait for the new iPhone. I miss all of those features.

I really do not believe that at all. No one who uses their phone, even just a casual user, will get 2 days with any recent smart phone.

You are correct.

I am using the GS3... the battery is not better than the 4S at all. I have nothing on except wifi, and the battery would not make it two days.

I have a work and personal phone, so I split my usage between them. Meaning my GS3 sees less usage than my 4S did (back when I did not have a phone for work yet). I have to use my car charger each day on the way home from work if I want the phone to last the whole day without going below 20% (which I consider to be uncomfortably low)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.