traded my ip6s for a ip6s+, battery seems to be worse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VertPin, May 3, 2016.

1. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

How is your cell strength? Do you have Wi-Fi talk service?

You may also want to turn off some of the system services that tell Apple where you are, what wi-if locations you are near, associate ads to your location, track your daily GPS positions, send traffic info to Apple, send diagnostics to Apple and apps. All this stuff uses radios and therefore your battery all day and night long. Do you use any of this tracking?

2. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

My cellular strength is very good in my area, and yes, I have Wi-fi Voice calling enabled.

I'm not sure if I do have any of these enabled. I did disable diagnostics during setup etc.

3. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

You aren't helping anybody unless you try restoring and setting up as new. NO BACKUP.

Do that. And if that doesn't help, exchange the phone. That's all you can do. If you aren't willing to help yourself, stop complaining.

Also 100% brightness will wreck any battery. Maybe 100% on a plus model is worse than 100% on a non plus because the screen is so much larger, draws more power. Even though there's a bigger battery. My iPhone 6 can only get 4 hours MAX with 100% brightness. With half brightness I get 5-6 hours+.

4. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

If you turn off cellular while at home and let Wi-Fi voice handle it that's one less radio operating while at home. Just a thought.

Read the articles I previously attached, there are a number of features you can turn off to reduce power usage. If it's a feature like motion that you don't actually use, why have it consume battery. Also, what do you keep your screen brightness at? Unless I am outside in sunlight I don't need or like the screen too bright.

5. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

Read through the remaining of the topic aside from the first few posts. I sent it back, received a new one, and set it up as new.

I know the second bolded statement, however, even when others post what battery usage they're getting and claiming they use 100% full brightness, my stats don't even come close.

Going to post a new 100% to 0% and post stats here.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Plug your iPhone into iTunes. Click Restore. When it finishes, set it up as new and do not put a backup on. As you are downloading your apps and stuff again, don't judge battery life. That takes a lot.

Now that you have a clean phone, go into settings, go to privacy, location services. Turn off motion and fitness if you dont use it. Turn off what you don't use. Go to mail, go to mail, go to fetch new data, turn off push, turn fetch to whatever you see fit. Lower times gives better battery. Turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi when you are home and on wifi. wifi calling will kick in so you get all calls and texts still but since airplane mode is on, cellular radio is off, preserving battery. Go to settings, go to icloud, turn off icloud drive if you dont need it. Turn off icloud photo library if you don't need it. Go to settings. Go to battery. Turn on low power mode. Lastly, turn your brightness down to 50%, maybe even 30%. If you are still complaining, exchange the phone.

This is like neutering your phone but that's the best you can do for battery life. Also don't play any games and don't use any social media :p
    He runs at 100% brightness. He ran at 100% as well on his regular 6S. He's getting not as good battery life with 100% brightness on the plus now, or at least not as good as he expected. I think he was expecting like 8hr use with 100% brightness but no matter the phone, that is not going to happen, sorry. Maybe if you have like 30% brightness.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2016 ---
    Oh okay sorry I missed that part. I have a post up instructing you to set up as new/exchange, ignore it. I posted that right before you posted this.

7. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

How to get the best battery life on your iDevice - iOS 9

Assuming you have a freshly restored or new iDevice follow the steps below. If you are having serious battery issues I recommend restoring your device in iTunes and choosing the option to "Setup as New".

1. Settings > WiFi > Disable Ask to Join Networks

2. Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > OFF

3. Settings > Cellular > Go all the way to the bottom > Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist

4. Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Turn OFF everything there

5. Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Turn OFF everything there

6. Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > ON

7. Settings > General > Background App Refresh > switch it OFF

8. Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn OFF Set Automatically

9. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Make sure all apps are set to "Never" or "While Using". Go to Share My Location and make sure it is OFF. Then go back to Location Services and go down to System Services and turn OFF everything there except for Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod.

10. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Turn OFF Fitness Tracking

11. Settings > Privacy > Diagnostic & Usage > Check OFF Don't Send

12. Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Turn on Limit Ad Tracking, then press Reset Advertising Identifier

13. Settings > iCloud > Turn OFF anything here you don't use. I recommend turning OFF iCloud Drive, Everything in Photos, News, and Wallet.

14. Settings > App and iTunes Store > Turn OFF everything here.

15. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Tap on anything here besides iCloud and set it to Manual.

16. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Turn OFF Contacts Found in Mail

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF iMessage if you don't use it.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Send Read Receipts.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Group Messaging.

18. Settings > Facetime > Turn OFF if not used.

19. Settings > Safari > Turn OFF Preload Top Hit. Turn OFF Safari Suggestions. Turn OFF Quick Website Search.

20. Settings > Safari > Turn ON Do Not Track.

21. Settings > News > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Show Story Previews.

22. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Show Apple Music if you don't use it.

23. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Use Cellular Data.

24. Settings > Videos > Turn OFF Show iTunes Purchases.

25. Settings > Photos & Camera > Turn off everything here.

26. Settings > iBooks > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Sync Bookmarks and Notes. Turn OFF Sync Collections. Turn OFF Online Content.

27. Settings > Podcasts > Turn off Sync Podcasts. Turn OFF Cellular Data. Change Refresh Every to MANUAL.

28. Settings > Game Center > Tap on your email address > Sign Out.

8. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

Did the ones that I won't need (such as ads, home kit, fitness tracking, etc. probably did 12 of those), and am taking it off of the charger now at 100%. Will post 100 to 1% tomorrow.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Have you updated to the latest version of iOS? And has everything finished restoring? I know on mine when I restored it, the battery wasn't great and it was because there was some bug because the backup I used was from the beta and I was using stock, so my music kept trying to download but it would get some error and not save, then it would try to download again. I had to upgrade to the latest beta and restore again and this time it worked and its behaving normally again. I get about 7hrs screen time, I'm a heavy user.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

I set it up as new, no back up (exchanged with T-Mobile for a new unit)

The YouTube and messaging and other stats rolled over from before I charged to 100% and am going to 0%. I'm not sure if my stats are normal :|

Attached Files:

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It's kinda hard to tell, but if the 2 hours of Safari is 47% of the 25% battery you've used, that means over 100% it's 12%, which is better better than mine at 21% in about the same usage time. Same with YouTube, which yours is 31%, which over 100% comes to 8% while I'm at 19% with twice the usage.

Your photos app looks strange with 51min. in the background. Is it backing up a video or something?

12. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

The stats are still from the previous charge. They're not from when I just started the 100 to 0 percent drain a little over an hour ago. I don't now why they're still showing up.

I'm assuming the photos app has to be giving me my old iCloud photo stream back. It's definitely done now.

From my last post I have lost already 8%, and that's just from using safari.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, the only other thing I can see is your usage is about the same as your standby time, so something must be constantly running or your constantly using the phone. What's your screen brightness?

Could you post an update to see what used the most in the time you posted?

14. Damolee macrumors 6502

Sounds like your photos / videos could be getting copied back to the phone from the cloud?

15. C DM, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

With some items there you might as well hold the lock/sleep button until the power off prompt appears and slide that to turn the phone off as that will definitely save a good amount of battery.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, what's the point of spending all that money for a smartphone if your turning everything off?

17. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

this is my morning so far. some of the old stats from the previous 100 to 0 % cycle are still here, for some reason...despite going down to 0, charging it (and not using it) going to 100 % and trying to go back down to 0%.

:| don't know whats eating up my battery

Attached Files:

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

What websites do you visit and how bright is your screen?

19. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

Dark Souls wiki (only to look up weapons for the games), NeoGAF, MacRumors, occasionally Reddit. Nothing really intense. If I check Facebook, it's done through the web URL.

100% brightness. I know this one here can be a sucker, however I've seen many posts on here with people who use 100% brightness and achieve much better battery usage than I do :|

20. Fernandez21, May 7, 2016

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ok, well try using the Reddit app and talk a tap for forums and set your brightness to automatic and 75% and see if that helps.

Edit: also there appears to be an app for dark souls wiki too. Try using that also.

21. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

Those are sites I visit, I'm not frequently on there all the time

However I will download the dark souls wiki app

Edit: not an official app, dang.

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ok. Then I'm out of ideas. It seems like your battery life should be better, your on pace for a little over 4 hrs usage. Only other thing I can think of is getting a new SIM card and resetting network settings, and turning down screen brightness. Also maybe tweaking your notifications, every time you get a new one it'll light up your screen, so maybe disable the ones you don't need and just use the badges for those?

If none of that works, I guess you can go wild disabling things as was mentioned a few posts back, but I don't think you should have to do that to get good battery life.

23. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

A little over four hours usage isn't normal for a 6s Plus, lol. That's why I'm upset about it lol. :/

24. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

What else is not normal is the battery stats should reset after going to zero and charging to 100%. In addition your battery stat screen shot shows the 24 hour tab. My battery stat screen always has the 24 hour, and 7 day tab. Something is not right software wise.

25. VertPin, May 7, 2016

VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502a

VertPin

I assume the 24 hour thing is based off of when I exchanged/had the device reset as new. However, I have absolutely no idea why the battery stats rolled over...

edit: fifteen percent left, at 4 hours of usage.
    I swear I loose a percentage or two every minute...even just browsing safari.