Trainer Killed at SeaWorld - Orlando

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
FoxNews.com said:
A killer whale killed a SeaWorld Orlando trainer who slipped or fell in its tank Wednesday, drowning her in front of a horrified audience.

Dan Brown, president of the Orlando park, said the trainer was one of the park's most experienced.

He would not answer questions about whether it happened during a performance, but an audience member said a show was just starting.
Wow, this is so sad. I have been to this particular SeaWorld many times. I love the shows, especially the killer whales.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587368,00.html

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
see, i told them to free willy...no they say...

killer whale: "what am i, here for your amusement??"

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The actual article and whatever you quoted looks like completely different stories. The trainer didn't just slip or fall into the tank,

A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer off a poolside platform in its jaws Wednesday and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
Another tragic death because of stupid ignorance.

Seriously what part of "killer whale" do these people not get.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The actual article and whatever you quoted looks like completely different stories. The trainer didn't just slip or fall into the tank,
They must have updated the page, because I just copied then pasted for the quote.

That is just terrible. The question now, is what to do with the whale.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The question now, is what to do with the whale.
Personally I think this tragedy should mean that an end it put to this practice. I mean look at the statistics… no amount of spin can make them anything other than terrible. You can't keep whales in a tank. Or if you can, we're not doing it right.

● At least 136 orcas (killer whales) have been taken into captivity from the wild since 1961. One hundred and twenty (120) are now dead (88%).

● Of the 120 which died, average length of survival in captivity is approximately 6.5 years (range: 1 day - 28 years).

● Most captives die before they reach their early 20s, yet in the wild, females may live as long as 80 years or more.

● As of January 2008, a total of 44 orcas (15 wild-caught and 29 captive-born calves) are held in 12 marine parks in six different countries.

● Of 83 known pregnancies in captivity since 1968, only 38 captive-born calves (46%) have survived to 12 months or over (43 orcas calves didn’t survive 12 months; while ‘Stella’ in Kamogawa Sea World is currently 11 months old and Malia in Sea World Florida is currently 10 months old).

● The current number of known orcas to have died in captivity is 148 (this does not include stillbirths, miscarriages or unborn calves were the mother died).
And the captures are all full of class and care. Here's a nice account from wikipedia:
At approximately 6 years-old, Lolita was captured on August 8th, 1970 while enroute southward with her family pod (known as L-25) to the annual migration and rendezvous in Possession Sound off the southeast end of Whidbey Island. The pod was spotted by air and word was sent to Seattle Marine Aquarium owner Ted Griffin and Don Goldsberry of Sea World who were waiting with speedboats and explosives. During the operation, eighty orcas were rounded up; amongst the eighty, four juvenile orcas and one female adult were killed. While trapped in the capture-net, the four juveniles were unable to reach the surface to breathe and consequently drowned. In the case of the adult female, the orca drowned when she also became tangled in a net while attempting to reach her calf. In order to conceal the deaths from the public, all five of the whales had their bellies slit open and filled with rocks, their tails weighted down with anchors and chains. The facts surrounding their deaths were discovered three months later after three of the dead whales washed ashore on Whidbey Island.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Let's keep our PETA tirades to ourselves for today. A woman, living her lifelong dream to work with orcas died doing what she loved. Details are still emerging as to the precise circumstances. Our thoughs go to her family, coworkers, and witnesses to this tragedy.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Let's keep our PETA tirades to ourselves for today.
That is a good way to marginalise those with alternative viewpoints. Put them in the PETA tirade box. Whatever works for you.

I have every sympathy for those involved. It is, as I said, a tragedy.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
I'd close all these places down in a shot if I had the authority. Seeing animals in cages, metaphorical ones in the case of Sea World, fills me with disgust. It's only the lack of empathy in the dopes that go that keep these businesses alive. For the love of everything wild stop going to these hell holes. My only hope is that the animal will be released into the wild but I doubt it.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
I'd close all these places down in a shot if I had the authority. Seeing animals in cages, metaphorical ones in the case of Sea World, fills me with disgust. It's only the lack of empathy in the dopes that go that keep these businesses alive. For the love of everything wild stop going to these hell holes. My only hope is that the animal will be released into the wild but I doubt it.
Don't be surprised if the more loony of our U.S. brethren call for the animals execution.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They must have updated the page, because I just copied then pasted for the quote.

That is just terrible. The question now, is what to do with the whale.
You let the whale go! There should be no question there.

I feel for the woman and her family but if someone suggests the whale to be put down then they're crazy. This is a wild animal not meant to be a show pony. It's been going on for ages and they do treat the whales well, but it's still wild and will likely always have that instinct.

Such a tragedy though and very sad on many levels.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
I'm not sure that's something that can be done easily.

I have to be honest, I have been to the show in 2008, and I must say that at the time I enjoyed it, a lot. I thought it was very well done. Of course, after reading this thread, I would not support again the show.

My younger daughter loved it, she has a delay in her development and at the time she was 3, she did not speak much and I was not sure if she was able to remember or make reference to facts that she experienced. She still remembers Shamu and since that day every time she sees a killer whale on a book she says "Shamu-Shamu".
My other daughter, since seeing the dolphin show in San Diego, wants to work with dolphins.

I understand all the hate and controversy this story can bring, but today is a tragic day for a lady who lived her life for the orcas and loved them and was killed by one, there is no reason to bash or discuss the rightfulness of these type of shows. Let's leave this discussion to another thread.

I just wanted to share my story to disclose that, although controversial, these shows, made by people who dedicate their life to these animals, have made some good to someone.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
No sympathy. They're wild animals - it's to be expected.

All the people who have paid to gawp at this ridiculous spectacle in the past, keeping the theme park open, are equally to blame for this tragedy.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I'd close all these places down in a shot if I had the authority. Seeing animals in cages, metaphorical ones in the case of Sea World, fills me with disgust.
I feel deeply uneasy every time I go to Seaworld or the zoo. Just can never quite shake that feeling, and I normally don't care about animals in any special way. Yet I understand why we have them.

I feel for the woman and her family but if someone suggests the whale to be put down then they're crazy. This is a wild animal not meant to be a show pony.
Can they let it go? That one's been in captivity for at least 19 years according to that article (he first was involved in someone's death in 1991). And this is the third death this whale's been mixed up in, although the 2nd sounds like a Darwin Award incident.

I thought they'd have to put it down. Can't release it, can't trust it to be tame, only a dozen trainers would work with it before and I bet that number'll go down now.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
According to a colleague speaking on the news, "she loved [the whales] to death".

Not the best choice of words.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
That is a good way to marginalise those with alternative viewpoints. Put them in the PETA tirade box. Whatever works for you.

I have every sympathy for those involved. It is, as I said, a tragedy.
You politicized a death. Your intentions may be noble, but your timing is off.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
How about not putting the largest mammals on the planet in ****ing swimming pools for tourists to come and gawk at?

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
This is such a sad story. My condolences go out to the poor woman's family.
I really hope they do not put down the whale. The whale should either be taken out of the shows for good and left at SeaWorld, or transferred to another facility for the remainder of its life.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can they let it go? That one's been in captivity for at least 19 years according to that article (he first was involved in someone's death in 1991). And this is the third death this whale's been mixed up in, although the 2nd sounds like a Darwin Award incident.

I thought they'd have to put it down. Can't release it, can't trust it to be tame, only a dozen trainers would work with it before and I bet that number'll go down now.
That's a good point and one to consider. I don't agree with killing it though. Perhaps sticking it in a tank for the remainder of his life is key, albeit sad, but you're right. And yes, this isn't the first incident for this whale. After the first they really should not have attempted to tame it.