Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Transcend has begun offering its JetDrive Lite 330 expansion cards for 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, providing users of Apple's latest Macs with an affordable way to increase storage capacity. The cards provide up to 512GB of additional storage for less than $90, giving users a viable alternative to paying Apple's high prices for more internal storage at point of purchase.

transcend-jetdrive.jpg

The JetDrive Lite expansion cards are tailor-made with a flush design that matches the case form factor of both MacBook Pro Models, and offer maximum sequential read and write speeds of 95MB/s and 75MB/s, respectively.

Once the JetDrive Lite 330 is inserted into the card reader slot, the additional storage can be used to hold large files, like RAW images or 4K video for example, or the card can serve as an onboard Time Machine backup.

Transcend says the JetDrive Lite expansion cards come with a five-year limited warranty and are manufactured using advanced COB (chip-on-board) technology, making them resistant to water, dust, and shock. Other than 2021 MacBook Pro Models, the JetDrive Lite 330 also supports 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro (late 2012-early 2015 models).

The JetDrive Lite Series of expansion cards are available now on Amazon, with prices starting at $35.99 for the 128GB version and $89.99 for the 512GB capacity card.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Transcend Offers JetDrive Lite 330 Expansion Cards Up to 512GB for 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
I tried something similar with a Macbook Air a few years back, but leaving an SDXC card attached blocked the MBA from entering hibernation or standby mode which killed overnight battery life. Eventually I gave up and upgraded the internal M.2 SSD.

I can only hope the new MBPs sleep better with this fix to Apple's increased lack of upgradability.

Reactions: tigerintank

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
This is actually not a bad idea. For most people their pictures and music take up a lot of space but really never need stellar disk performance when being accessed. Moving music and pictures to the SD disk would be pretty smart.

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
Read and write speeds are abysmally slow. But does get you half a terabyte if you need it.
It's not a replacement for a larger "proper" SSD, but there are plenty of uses for a few hundred GB of cheap, if slow, storage that can be left in place as if it were an internal drive and used to store bulky, seldom updated files.

Relocating your "Media library" (whether that's tunes and movies or finished photos, videos etc. relevant to your work) to such a card is the obvious use.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
It's not a replacement for a larger "proper" SSD, but there are plenty of uses for a few hundred GB of cheap, if slow, storage that can be left in place as if it were an internal drive and used to store bulky, seldom updated files.

Relocating your "Media library" (whether that's tunes and movies or finished photos, videos etc. relevant to your work) to such a card is the obvious use.
When I had a 2018 MacBook Air, I used one of these with my Plex library.

Reactions: Tagbert and KeithBN

torontotim

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2019
Better off with a Nifty MiniDrive - wish they would come out with new versions but it is said the 13" model fits the 14" MBP. I have the deeper 15" MiniDrive model and it protrudes just a bit.

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Read and write speeds are abysmally slow. But does get you half a terabyte if you need it.

I’d pass and go for a modern SSD.
I don't think you get it. This is the only option that doesn't require an external device. And these speeds are comparable to mechanical hard drives which is to say not that bad. It's a memory card after all.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I used to run a microSD-Adapter for my MacBook Air for 10 years. Sits almost flush with the laptop, you need to use your fingernail or a tool to get it out. Worked great, kept my music library and other media on there that I don't change much and where I wouldn't mind if somebody stole it.

Just format it as an encrypted drive, save the password in your keychain and include it in your backups. I really miss it in the newer machines that only have USB-C ports. Glueing a cheap USB-C dock with a card reader on the back of the display is just not the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jynto and drumcat

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
maybe good for time machine or backup purposes. for anything productive application it's too slow.
and write endurance is also questionable.
I like to keep certain files/installers locally (I refuse to use icloud) so I just bought one of these for my 14 inch m1 mbp. Theres certain files/installers i rarely access but like to have them close just in case. So the speed isnt an issue, nor is your assertion about the endurance.

This allows me to offload all sorts of seldom used stuff, but keep them near, and also free up space on my fast internal drive.
So for me, these are ideal.

Havoc035

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2021
This is pretty great news. Though I always liked the Nifty drives with mini SD card better because you could upgrade those. I hope one of those will also come to the new MBPs.

Reactions: tigerintank

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Cheap Time Machine "backup". I don't have anything important on my Mac that's not backed up elsewhere, but for quality of life if something were to happen, I guess why not?
iCloud is more convenient if you have a need for its features.

When I get my new MacBook Pro, it will back up to the media server using Time Machine, to be able to roll back. And iCloud for convenience. I do need to do some housekeeping on my iCloud Drive.

I do like the low profile, but the end tab looks like it could easily get tangled, resulting on the card being pulled out of the slot.

• Disagree
Reactions: topdrawer

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
I have a Jetdrive for my 2015 13”. Good for music, media, document storage. In two years it’s ejected itself for no reason a couple of times, but usually has been seamless. Wouldn’t use it to actively edit videos or anything, but I’m sure most people could offload a couple hundred gigs of old files from the main drive.

Also a good option if one would rather spend their upgrade dollars on RAM rather than the TB SSD (like me).

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
maybe good for time machine or backup purposes. for anything productive application it's too slow.
and write endurance is also questionable.

Backup - especially Time Machine - is the last thing you'd use this for.

The best use is for media libraries, document archives etc. that are useful to carry around with you, don't get updated frequently and don't need ultra-high data rates (which includes most photo, video and audio media once they've been compressed for distribution).

Back in the good old days when you could replace the main drive in your MBP with a fast SSD and move the old mechanical drive to the optical bay, I had enough space to carry around a near-complete set of my team's past multimedia products and have them on-hand to demonstrate in meetings (without rummaging around for USB sticks, external drives, or trying to find a WiFi connection if they were available online - by which time the meeting would have moved on). That's one reason I stuck with an old 2011 MBP for so long....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.