Transfer Files PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cyborg21, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hi, my Windows 7 PC got really old and it's now very slow. So I wanted to buy a new computer. I went to a technology store and I saw the MacBook Pro Retina. It was really beautiful. Then I watched an unboxing video on youtube. At the first boot up, there was a box sayin ''Transfer Information to this Mac'' and ''From a Mac, time machine or startup disk'' ''From a windows PC'' ''Don't transfer any information now''. I wonder what happens when you click ''From a Windows PC''? How can I transfer my files to Mac? Sorry for my bad english.

2. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

The is an app for windows called migration assistant and you install this on the PC and if connected to the same network you can automatically import everything over. This works if all your stuff is stored in the windows standard folders.

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Thank you so much!

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Keep in mind the kind of data you are wanting to migrate. If it's things like .pdfs, and images, there should be no issues. If they are Word documents, they should be functional on the other side if you have Mac Word. If they are text documents, Pages should be able to open them, but depending on the PC program that created it, formatting could be lost. Other documents created by PC only applications, there could be some issues.

5. roycemac macrumors member

Migration asst is not working for me. PC is 'waiting' for Mac, and mac is 'looking for PC'

Win 7 to a Mac mini.
    Both on the same home wifi network.
    Antivirus turned off on PC
    Firewall turned off on PC

Nothing.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4796

If your Mac is new, Apple Store will transfer it for you if you make appointment with Genius Bar.