Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuxNox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Leuven (Belgium)
I have an older Samsung "DVD HR-737" - a DVD / Hard Disk recorder (images below) of which the DVD-R mechanism no longer works (I tried a lens cleaner, but to no avail), so I am unable to transfer the internal HDD's content by copying it to a DVD.
It saddens me, because this device contains a few transfers of some old VHS home video footage from the early/mid 1990's (i.e. not of high quality / resolution), of which I do not have the source tapes at my disposal... I would *tremendously* appreciate any advice on how to import the video/audio into my Macbook Pro Retina - I suppose this will require the purchase of a converter of some sort? Would something relatively low-cost like a Roxio Easy VHS to DVD work for this? I'm including pictures of the available connections on the back panel of the Samsung device. I'm really not that tech-savvy when it comes to video... Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to have a look at this and point me in the right direction.

Front panel:
uspvr9I.jpg

Tt5bw4l.jpg

Back panel:
S5mtyZr.jpg

ebGIvKa.jpg

ftDef1u.jpg

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There are a wide variety of less expensive composite (yellow)/S-Video to USB converters out there like the roxio device you reference. The roxio product does not seem to get good reviews.

The Elgato converter is a little more money but is the one many mac users have had good luck with, and its simple for the non tech savy to use. http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-analog-iPhone/dp/B0029U2YSA?ie=UTF8&keywords=The Elgato converter&qid=1465344861&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I use their HDMI Game Capture box and its an excellent product.

You would connect the converter to either the S-Video or yellow video and plug it into a USB port. Then you run their software to capture the video as its being played by the recorder. The resulting file can be played or edited.

Its not any different than say recording from a VHS player.

Its been awhile since I've done it, I'm sure someone will jump in here with the current best value video capture products. Some of the available products and reviews are here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=video+capture+mac

If your video was higher quality or HD, then you would want to use a component or HDMI capture device instead.

Last edited:

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
There are a wide variety of less expensive composite (yellow)/S-Video to USB converters out there like the roxio device you reference. The roxio product does not seem to get good reviews.

The Elgato converter is a little more money but is the one many mac users have has good luck with, and its simple for the non tech savy to use. http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-analog-iPhone/dp/B0029U2YSA?ie=UTF8&keywords=The Elgato converter&qid=1465344861&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I use their HDMI Game Capture box and its an excellent product.

You would connect the converter to either the S-Video or yellow video and plug it into a USB port. Then you run their software to capture the video as its being played by the recorder. The resulting file can be played or edited.

Its not any different than say recording from a VHS player.

Its been awhile since I've done it, I'm sure someone will jump in here with the current best value video capture products. Some of the available products and reviews are here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=video+capture+mac

If your video was higher quality or HD, then you would want to use a component or HDMI capture device instead.
[doublepost=1465390710][/doublepost]Roxio also makes a converter for $75 or under depending if it's on sale. Keep in mind, if you're looking for HD quality, it's not going to happen. Also, with the Roxio, there is some some sort of glitch, where if you try to capture at the highest quality, the audio will be off. You have to use the medium quality setting for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.