Transfer from iPhone to New Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPhone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ViPhone macrumors 6502

I recently switched from my Dell laptop, which just died on me, and thus my iTunes Library. So I need to transfer my music from my iPhone (which contains all my music, luckily) to my new Macbook. I'm trying to figure out a way to do it, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Please help, this is bugging the hell out of me.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There are several pieces of software that do this, as there is not a native utility. I'm not familiar with names, but google is ;)

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't syncing the iPhone to the Mac transfer what's on your iPhone to the iTunes library?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Do you still have access to iTunes on your old laptop? It's much easier to setup iTunes home-sharing between the computer and transfer them over your WiFi network.

5. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

^^ If you could direct me to at least one effective piece of software that does this please do so. I've found freeware that only partially does the job then prompts me to pay some odd fee.

^ Itunes prompts me to erase and sync with what's in the library. I'm not sure if getting rid of iTunes, and re-installing it would work but I don't think I can do that because the computer is shared.

EDIT:

No I don't have access to it. Trust me I would have already done that if I had access to it. The computer is long gone. This is why I can't wait for the cloud.

6. astral125 macrumors 6502

nope, can't do this. defies common sense.

7. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How’s that defy common sense? Because Apple chooses to not allow it?

use expod to get your music off.

9. zzamud macrumors member

musicrescue?
    i use that on my ipods and iphone

10. wvphysics macrumors regular

I know from pc to pc you can just copy the music from your itunes folder to a disk and then copy in to the itunes folder of the new computer. Or of course copy folder to folder using your wifi. Can you not copy music into the itunes folder of a mac?
    Worst comes to worst, do as was said before, just setup the home sharing and you can use itunes itself to copy from one computer to the other. No special software is needed. When youre done and you sync the music on your phone will be deleted, but will be replaced with what is on the new computer.

Whoops saw that the computer died. If the hard drive still works then you can hook up the hard drive and copy like i mentioned before then import. Otherwise, ya use some of the software mentioned before to get it off the phone tself.