Transfering data etc from iPad 2 to new iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by msindi, Mar 15, 2012.

1. msindi macrumors member

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Back up your iPad 2 to the cloud then restore the new iPad from the cloud.

3. GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

iPad 2: Backup to iCloud

iPad 3: Restore from iCloud backup

:)

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Just back up your iPad 2 and restore your new iPad using that backup.

5. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I agree. iCloud. I'll make sure mine is cleaned up & backed up tonight.

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Just remember, it takes a little longer to restore from iCloud...it is very convenient, but if you want it done quickly, I would still back up to iTunes over USB and restore the same way.

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Simply backing up to iCloud and restoring isn't the whole story. If you have pictures (in iPhoto) or videos stored on the iPad you will need to restore those from iTunes.

8. monkeylui macrumors 6502

True. I'm in no rush though.

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I had to restore my iPhone from the cloud due to a mishap with a jailbreak :eek: IT TOOK FOR-EFFING EVER. :mad: If at all possible, restore from iTunes.

10. SoloStyle macrumors regular

Is there an advantage to restoring from iCloud versus restoring from iTunes? Both my iPad 2 and iPad 3 will have iOS 5.1

Thanks!

11. msindi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all

Unfortunately, my newiPad did not make it today (TNT sucks) so it is now scheduled for Monday

Given that I have photos, etc. iTunes looks like the best option for now

Enjoy your new iPads

12. icydog macrumors member

I used my USB and iTunes. I backed up the iPad 2. Transferred pictures, apps and music to my computer. Then reset my iPad 2 to factory settings.

Then I installed my new iPad 3 using iTunes and everything was done correctly.

Whew. I'm glad that's all done.

13. homeboy macrumors 6502

I just restored my iPad 3 from my iPad 2 backup. The wallpapers are all there and the images but the apps have not been restored? I would very much like my user data.

What am I not doing right?

14. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Mine worked fine by restoring from iCloud. I did have to re-sign in to like kindle & flipboard. My tapatalk information was fine though. Infinity blade though had all of my info. So I guess it depends on the app.

15. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Once the Apps are reinstalled your data should be there. When I do a restore all my Apps start downloading automatically.

16. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I can't see any advantage of restoring from iCloud versus restoring from iTunes, unless you don't have a computer.

However, I can see many benefits of restoring from iTunes versus restoring from iCloud.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I was recently looking at a thread on here where someone was saying that it had taken 5 hours plus so far to restore from iCloud. I did two iPads this morning in about a quarter of that time using iTunes.

17. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

The actual restore doesn't take but 5-10 minutes from iCloud. It does take a few hours depending on how many Apps you have to re-download and install. iCloud is just convient if you are away and need to restore without a computer. Also Apple wanted it to have the option of being PC free.

18. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

So it takes a long time to download everything and is useful if you haven't got access to a computer, which is what I said.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good option to have, but that if you have a computer available then that would be quicker and therefore probably the best option.

19. redout macrumors member

Do it from iTunes otherwise you will be waiting hours for the apps.

20. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Just curious. I used iTunes and a USB cable (not the new one that came with the iPad, but and a cable from 4S, but the USB cables should be the same, I think). Have about 200 Apps, 15,000 pics (cause I use the iPad as my digital photo frame) and about 10GB worth of videos. Overall, about 45 GB used of my 64GB. My restore from backup from my iPad 2 64GB literally ran from about 9pm last night, until about 6am this morning. I understand that I had a lot of stuff to transfer over, but it just seemed to be going a lot slower than I expected it to. For example, it was taking each App on average about 1-2 minutes to copy over alone, even for small apps like Amazon Mobile, which is only like 9.3MB.

Did anyone else experience this, or was I just expecting too much? Just curious as to everyone else's experience?

21. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

Mine took an hour or two over USB, 7000 photos and 40 apps or so, plus some TV shows - a bit over 30 gigs of capacity used. Yours seems disproportionately long, but not an order of magnitude.

22. eikast macrumors member

It's recemonded after a major software update or new device to start as a new device.