Transfering University, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7254278, Dec 17, 2007.

1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Hey all,

I am a freshman at a british university. UWIC in cardiff. . . I am wanting to transfer to an american university cuz cardiff just aint hackin it for me.

Heres some info you guys might find useful to help me out:

Studying Business

Did the Internation baccalaureate

Highschool GPA 2,3( C)

Uni GPA 3,4( B+)

NO SAT SCORES(was told it wont be too important since im an international transfer)

Can speak English, Italian, Spanish, Greek

Hold multiple citizenships USA/Italian

Very well traveled(I heard unis like that but I dont know)
    --------------------

I am looking for a good/decent school to transfer, preferably out east. My parents wont be too keen on sending me there unless the school is at least semi-reputable.

So far I´ve been looking at:

George Washington University
    Syracuse University
    Canisius College

Anyone have any uni suggestions or just any general tips?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm British, I went to George Washington University for graduate school.

PRO's:
    Good school
    Nice campus
    Great city

CONS
    Expensive

As for the other two, Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere and VERY VERY cold in the winters. I'd never heard of Canisius (and that's saying something) but I see that it is in Buffalo, again VERY VERY cold winters.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would say if you wanted to do international business Thunderbird International in Phoenix may also be worth a look.

4. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Weather is something I am taking into account but being from NYC originally I am not too woried. . . However cardiff weather is very very depressing and I hope not to go anywhere much worse than that.

5. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link sun baked, but im undergrad.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Upstate new york is much much colder than NYC. Washington DC is a little warmer than NYC being a little further south. Another benefit of DC is it is very multicultural.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

University of Manchester or Nottingham University are both very reputable, high tier universities. Both in England mind, Manchester has the "scene" and I can't really speak from first hand experience of Nottingham, but my girlfriend's sister went there and I think she liked it. *shrugs*

8. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info jimmi! Im currently going around the UK visiting different unis and loads seem great. However being from a big city I have noticed I am a little picky on where I end up living and so far the only place in England I think I could settle is London but that would be terrible on my budget.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

As to Canisius and Syracuse:

I go to school in Rochester, which roughly an hour and a half away from both Buffalo and Syracuse. You're going to freeze (it's -9˚C here with the wind chill, and there's a foot and a half of snow on the ground), but, honestly, it's not such a big deal.

10. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If you are looking for a good business school on the East coast with decent weather, think about some of the schools in Atlanta. I don't teach in the business school, but GSU has a good reputation. It's in the middle of downtown Atlanta--don't know if that's a selling point or not.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Atlanta, decent weather???? It's like a sauna in the summer, unbearable

12. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

georgia state has a good business school (and an excellent radio station) and emory university has an excellent business school (one of the best in the nation)

georgia has great weather
    no real snow and lately no rain

13. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Try Penn State, Drexel, Villanova, or Temple. I think they all have very good business departments and all located in mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania.

14. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I can second MacFan, Villanova is an excellent choice.

15. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

I will def take those into consideration, but they seem very high tier and I have decent grades but nothing special, not to mention no SAT scores, so I wouldnt think they´d accept me

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

My brother goes to Syracuse. It's apparently freezing there. Otherwise it's supposed to be a great place.

17. nova818 macrumors newbie

the real USC

The University of South Carolina (in Columbia, SC) has one of the best international business schools in the country. Give it a look. Columbia's a nice little city, especially if you like football and beer. I am actually from Rochester, NY as well, but I love it down south. It was 80 last week! 80!

18. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Penn State might...check it out...well because it's PENN STATE...and especially if you are looking for that stereotypical American college life while still going to a decent school. Or try USC like the guy below me (err.. above me now) said...plus its warm

19. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for all the info guys, I will post a shortlist of 7 or 8 schools im applying to later tonight to see what you guys think. . . .

About Penn State- It looks VERY interesting but I was under the impression that it was a GREAT SCHOOL like almost Ivy League, and if my impressions are right then I dont have a snowball's chance in hell with my mediocre grades.

20. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Nah, PSU is like a high-end state school. Nothing like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford... but that's not to say it isn't a good school. I have a bunch of friends that go there that maybe scored well on tests, but don't know didily squat about this or that...and on the other hand I have friends that didn't do well on tests and got in based on an interview or essay. Basically prove to them that you'll work hard for the field that you desire and chances are they will let ya in.

21. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Here is my short list- Lets here what you guys think:

Cornell(My very unlikely reach school)
    University of Texas Austin
    University of South Carolina
    Carnegie-Mellon
    Canisius College
    Penn State
    George Washington University
    University of Boston(Cant decide between BU or Boston College)
    Drexel University (safety)

Any opinions on schools there? There reputation? Any I should consider adding or taking out?

22. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thought I should add, IF I do give the UK another shot I will apply to:

University of Sheffield
    Brunel University
    Royal Holloway

23. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

you should definitely consider PSU (penn state). they are doing some very interesting things in the business program and have one of the largest alumni networks in the country. i dont know the standards for foreign transfers, but i do know that if you start at a penn state branch campus and transfer to main campus after a year or two you can get in MUCH easier and you will still graduate in 4 years with a penn state degree.

24. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

come out to california boy, the weather is beautiful, our economy is stronger than most countries, and there are plenty of universities to chose from. I am at UC Davis, but now that i am switching to business i will be transferring to either UCLA, UCSD, or UCB. UCB has the Hass school of business which is superb. UCLA and UCSD have strong undergraduate business programs as well.

I am a bit partial to california schools, as i came out here from chicago and kinda fell in love. this is just for undergrad tho, i plan on getting my MBA perhaps on the east coast (hmmmm wharton at penn would be nice). just do some searches for american schools with a good undergrad business program, most schools do not have a "business major" but rather you would study econ or something along those lines in that case.

25. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Cornell- Really hard to get into. To be honest, I got rejected there and my HS GPA was 3.8. Also Ivies keep getting harder to get into.
    Penn State- A nice state school, very large. But being a Marylander I would recommend University of Maryland College Park over Penn.
    GWU- Ridiculously expensive.