Transmission takes long time to quit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tex-Twil, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    when I quit Transmission it takes around let's say 30 seconds before it actually quits and this is a bit annoying.

Does yours do the same ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

yeah, same here.

i'm assuming that it's just finalising some of the pieces that are being transferred. (as opposed to having them half completed / corrupt / wasted)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought I was the only one. How dare a free piece of software used to download content that I should be paying for make me wait 30 seconds when I quit. It is absurd. I got the files I want, why the hell should I care about others that are getting pieces of the file from me?

I think I'll start an online petition. :rolleyes:

4. kolax macrumors G3

Try pausing all transfers, then waiting a few seconds then quitting. I find it quits instantly if you pause first.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I started using Transmission a few weeks ago and love it--very streamlined and easy to use but highly configurable too. I would guess that Transmission needs time to make sure it knows where each download left off so it can resume properly when stated again. I wondered the first time if it froze up but I have a lot of stuff in stages of download so I feel it is a resonable time to get everything straight before it quits.

I tried Vuze which I guess used to be Azureus and felt it was way too overloaded with unnecessary stuff--and was just too much to deal with compared to Transmission.

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hey, we're all downloading Linux nightlies...

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

but other torrent clients dont do that.

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

maybe they just discard the half complete pieces?

honestly i don't know, but it's not like it bothers me. it's shutting down in the background, and i've moved on to doing something else.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, but when it comes to starting your Mac because of something like an update (or in the Unibody MacBook Pro's changing between GPU's) it is a bit of a pain..

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

It's probably just clearing out a cache or disconnecting from all the feeds.

Are you REALLY complaining that a piece of free software that allows you to pirate (yes, I know not all torrenters pirate video/audio/software, but let's be honest here) easily takes 30 seconds to quit?

11. kolax macrumors G3

Why does everyone drink the kool aid and attack people who ask about "free" software, that could contain a potential bug?

If it takes 30 seconds to quit, free or not, this is something that could be asked about. Same with any free piece of software. If it has issues, then people have the right to ask questions.

And if you read the OP properly, you'll see he isn't complaining he is asking a question - asking if everyone else's does the same thing. He's trying to find a solution.

Seriously, do you get kicks out of acting smart?

12. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I love transmission. It's small and powerful and gets the job done. I too have this happening and it's frustrating when I'm going to shutdown and the shutdown ends up hanging and then canceling out since transmission won't quit.

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've given up on Transmission. It's the nicest and easiest to use but the worst performing (and your right sometimes it takes forever to quit). Vuze outperforms Transmission EVERY time. Half of the time torrents won't even start in Transmission but they will go just fine in Vuze.

14. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok so visibly I'm not the only one. I think I will try other torrent clients.

Thanks,
    Tex

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I haven't found that to be the case, but YMMV is especially true with torrent programs it seems (and blah, Vuze/Azureus just got too bloated and slow for me).

:( Seems a silly reason to quit using it - it makes up for the relatively short time it takes to quit (it even tells you in the Dock icon, so you know it's not frozen or anything) by performing well the rest of the time. And maybe it's because I don't do a lot of heavy torrenting, but it rarely takes so long, maybe just 5-10 seconds.

16. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

The only reason why sometimes it takes a while to quit is if you are still connected to seeds and peers. If your downloads have finished downloading and seeding... remove them first and give it a little bit to disconnect from peers and then quit. He is probably tying to quit while still connected to others (even if your not downloading) and that's why it's taking so long to quit.

17. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It takes time for Transmission to disconnect from all peers and trackers.

18. wh00pers macrumors newbie

Transmission 1.5 is going to be released soon, and has huge improvements in how it handles the peer traffic. Hopefully it will fix the problems and speed up the program. :)

19. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

NO!!!
    Don't leave Transmission!
    Basically all it's doing is actually verifying that you have all the pieces before it actually closes.
    To the best of my knowledge, others torrent clients just discard the other pieces, while Transmission verifies it.
    To proove this, when you force quit Transmission, and when you open it up the next time, it says it checking existing data again.

I'll sign it!
    Let's use petitiononline.com!:D

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok mine literally takes 2-3 seconds to quit wile downloading and uploading. are you sure you guys have downloaded the latest 1.42? or try 1.50 beta 5.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Under heavy torrenting (which seems to mean 7-10 large transfers, i.e., HD content) Transmission takes something like 20 min. or so to quit.

Just saying.

22. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Er... this happens loads... but I don't usually use it LOL...

23. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Oh, and all the moaning here about it somehow not being right to complain when the software is free . . . hell, I'd rather pay for something that actually works right if that's the case.

Free or not, if you're going to code something, then DO IT RIGHT. Something being free isn't a license for the creators to half-ass it and get lazy. Unless of course it's all the same to them whether anyone downloads it or not. One wonders what that portends when they do release a for-pay app . . .

24. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If it takes ~1 minute, that's fine. since Transmission needs to properly disconnect from the tracker so all settings are saved properly.

Yours seems to have something wrong with it. Try downloading a nightly build and see if that fixes the problem.

If you ever have a problem with Transmission, download a nightly build to see if that fixes anything.

25. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

sorry to bump an old thread, i tried to be cool about it, but 2 or so years of this exact same issue...damn '

I ALWAYS have to force quit transmission and its getting totally to be a nuisance especially if I am about to go out.

I am currently running latest stable build, 1.82, with Snow Leopard (late 08 MBP) i get good speeds, I like the ui, etc etc, its great but for the life of me it will not quit within a few minutes, no word of a lie. Hey I love open source, I love OSX, I just want to know if I am the only one?