Trash can full but no trash visible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghostchild, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

So I my trash is indicating full but wehn I open it it says there is 1 items but there is no item in sight. Is there a fix to this?

-John

2. je1ani macrumors 6502

Try wiping the hard drive and reinstall... It should work

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why on earth would you go to such an extreme? OP, do not do this yet; it's too drastic.

Instead, have Finder in your Menu bar, and hit "secure empty trash" and see if it still does this.

If nothing happens, create a blank folder and move it to the trash and then repeat the "secure empty trash" procedure.

4. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

it's half working I did the securely empty trash but now its stuck emptying half way and I cant close teh window.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

6. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

restarted/ turned off and turned on. Still there. Well here's the full story... yesterday I installed a new copy of Office 08 and removed my Office 04, but I did it through the help of the office 08 installer. Could it be some remanent files? Or is there any way to check cause in the trash it indicates I have 1 item in the there, but when i do securely empty trash it indicates that I have 4 items and doesnt empty it it just stops half way and hangs there. I've tried the empty folder trick and just securely emptying them to no avail.... :(

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is positively baffling. :eek:

Try dragging out the remanent files (if you can see them) onto your desktop and see if the trash appears empty again.

8. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

10. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Can you please explain the code? Is that like manual delete through terminal?

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yes this should manually empty your trash.

Open terminal and type

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/
    sudo = super user do
    rm = remove
    -r = removes directories, removing the contents recursively beforehand (so as not to leave files without a directory to reside in)

-f = ignores non-existent files and overrides any confirmation prompts ("force")
    ~/ = current user home directory
    .Trash/ = current user hidden trash folder

12. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

doesn't work..... any other ideas?

Oh and that code I put in terminal just deletes anything i drag to trash it just prompts if I want to delete it or not, I cant drag into trash a save it for later to delete. How do I change this back?

13. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

I'm at work, so not behind my iMac. Ergo I am not sure as I cannot check.

I know that there is a way to show hidden files and folders. I think it is in TinkerTool, but it might be in the System Preferences. If you have TinkerTool, turn the "Show Hidden File And Folders" on and check what is inside the .Trash folder. Is there something? Isn't there? What happens when you delete it from there?

A different way to show them: http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2005/02-01.ws

Be sure to turn them back off, ergo stop showing them. Otherwise you will have a whole lot of "non sense" icons on your disc, most of which are system related.

Something I just ran into: http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/HowTo/Trash/index.ws

14. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

nope. It is just a one-time emptying of the Trash can. After this action
    the Trash and emptying the Trash works as usual.

15. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

So i kinda accidentally figured out how to delete it but this is weird let me explain:

So by changing the view option of the trash can folder i was able to see and delete the file, the weird thing is that if i shut down my computer it reappears in the trash again, but not when i restart. The other weird thing is if i try to view its info or drag it to the desktop it disappears and my trash will indicate full again with 1 item...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

16. VoidBoi macrumors regular

17. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As the other poster mentioned, did you try repairing via disk utility?

Go to Applications>>Utilities>>Disk Utility

Or, alternatively, just use Spotlight.

19. mrpeepers macrumors regular

i assume you have rebooted and this is still an issue?

20. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

So I ran disk utility and it has said 1 minute remain for the past hour and now I'm afraid t exit...

21. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Ok so this is confusing even with disk repair 2 times it didnt work.... what the heck?:confused::confused:

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you repairing the permissions or verifying the drive? Try booting from the OSX discs and using that version of Disk Utility to repair the drive (not the permissions).

What was the name of the file you ended up being able to delete? What third party apps are you running? What third party hardware do you have installed or connected (including RAM)? :)

23. cwilcox macrumors newbie

Possible Fix

I have been having the same issue for about a week and I have found the cause. I have a boot camp partition and the file is on the bootcamp partition. Attempt to remove it.

Hope This Helps

-Chris

24. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

lol I've been living with it since the post. So is it on your windows trash?

25. ness31 macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem last month. Back up everything ASAP. I lost everything in my Documents and Movies folders and half of my iTunes library. I got rid of it by creating a new account and copying my remaining files over, then deleting the old one.