Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2013-mac-pro-250x394.jpg
Today marks the fourth anniversary of Apple last updating the Mac Pro.

The second-generation Mac Pro was released on December 19, 2013 for $2,999 and up, and it remains the current model despite having at least four year old hardware.

That hardware includes up to a 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 64GB of ECC RAM, 1TB of SSD storage, and dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs, with prices topping out at $6,999.

The lack of a Mac Pro refresh in several years generated concerns that Apple was less focused on professional users, eventually prompting the company to respond.

Specifically, in April, Apple took the rare step of revealing it is working on an all-new Mac Pro with a modular design, while a high-end iMac Pro was released earlier this month.

Apple briefly reiterated that promise at the bottom of its press release about iMac Pro availability last week, noting that the new Mac Pro will be not only upgradeable, but also a high-performance, high-throughput system.
In addition to the new iMac Pro, Apple is working on a completely redesigned, next-generation Mac Pro architected for pro customers who need the highest performance, high-throughput system in a modular, upgradeable design, as well as a new high-end pro display.
Apple hasn't provided any additional details, including tech specs or a release date, but fingers are crossed for a 2018 launch. As we discussed in our story last week, Apple could return to a similar design as the 2006 to 2012 tower Mac Pro, but its exact definition of modular remains to be seen.

Apple still hasn't provided any word about when if ever we can expect a new Mac mini, which hasn't been updated in over 1,150 days, according to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide. The current Mac mini launched in October 2014.

Article Link: Apple's Newest Mac Pro Turns Four Years Old Today

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm really interested to see what the new display will look like.
If they took the Thunderbolt Display and made it 5K, added a better mic, better camera, better speakers and more ports to act as a hub since the new MacBook Pro's only have USB-C. Oh it would be perfect.

I mean, just look at it, it still looks great, even with the huge bezels. The sturdy aluminium design is still lightyears away from that new LG monstrosity.

Edit: And while you're at it, add a HDMI port. It would be great if I didn't have to use a separate display to play on a console once in a while.

1317358652-apples-newest-version-of-thunderbolt-display-mc914lla-2.jpg

Last edited:

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Today marks the fourth anniversary of Apple last updating the Mac Pro.

in April, Apple took the rare step of revealing ... at the bottom of its press release ... that the new Mac Pro will be ... high performance ... but hasn't provided any ... details ... or a release date.

... we don't know what the new Mac Pro will look like ...

Apple could ... or it could ... It's too early to say right now.
Ah, rumours. Got to love them.

Reactions: 0958400

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Going by the "If they still buy it why change it" policy of Apple then there a fair old chance it's going to be the same thing with a faster processor and something removed from the 'old' model. Ah. But. With a new name. The Mac Pro 2 (portless edition). Get in!.

Reactions: WSPAN1C

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Possibly one of Apple's biggest mistakes?

I'd say no, because only a really small percentage of their income is from that market. Even if they made a fantastic Mac Pro 4 years ago only a few people would have bought it, so it doesn't really matter to them if the Mac Pro was a failure.
The iMac and Macbooks are way more popular that the Mac Pro, so they have to be careful about what they release. The failing MBP keyboard is a bigger mistake than the MP in my opinion, so is any mistake they make with iOS devices.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'd say no, because only a really small percentage of their income is from that market. Even if they made a fantastic Mac Pro 4 years ago only a few people would have bought it, so it doesn't really matter to them if the Mac Pro was a failure.
The iMac and Macbooks are way more popular that the Mac Pro, so they have to be careful about what they release. The failing MBP keyboard is a bigger mistake than the MP in my opinion, so is any mistake they make with iOS devices.

"Only a few"? A few hundred? A few thousand? A few million? C'mon...just because a Mac Pro would never sell the same quantity as a Macbook or iMac, it's unfair to say that a properly designed (and one that didn't have the trash can moniker from day one) wouldn't have sold much more than the one they released, let alone say they'd sell "just a few". Those with aging aluminum mac pros and mac minis and even iMac owners that wanted to be able to upgrade something, ANYTHING, would have been attracted to it.

We will never know, of course, or maybe we will if they ever come out with a redesigned, modular Mac Pro.

ReneR

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Apple became a disgrace to the professional / creator community. Not only #peakbugs, but the glossy mirror displays of MacBooks and iMacs are a pain to work with, too. So many people leaving for Windows, and Linux. Creators to the first, web developers for the later, ...
[doublepost=1513683125][/doublepost]
"Only a few"? A few hundred? A few thousand? A few million? C'mon...just because a Mac Pro would never sell the same quantity as a Macbook or iMac, it's unfair to say that a properly designed (and one that didn't have the trash can moniker from day one) wouldn't have sold much more than the one they released, let alone say they'd sell "just a few". Those with aging aluminum mac pros and mac minis and even iMac owners that wanted to be able to upgrade something, ANYTHING, would have been attracted to it.

We will never know, of course, or maybe we will if they ever come out with a redesigned, modular Mac Pro.

Yeah, also the professionals are the influencers who convinced the Joe users to go for a Mac a decade ago, and are not happy today anymore, ... So each Pro customer left, are many more users to follow later, ...

CircleTect

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Copenhagen
What are the chances Apple are planning to under promise and over deliver? What are the chances of a 2018 release? From my experience with product design, even the best team will struggle to release a complicated product like this within two years - if they in fact started around the time of the original announcement.

Also, how many professionals who need a new workstation computer now are willing to wait until late 2018 / early 2019?

Reactions: 0958400 and AleRod

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Based on the iMac Pro price it wouldn't surprise me if the new Mac Pro starts at $4,999 also with another $1,999 for the new display they make to go with it. Gone are the days of a $1999-$2,499 start price for a Mac Pro I think.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
I'm really interested to see what the new display will look like.
If they took the Thunderbolt Display and made it 5K, added a better mic, better camera, better speakers and more ports to act as a hub since the new MacBook Pro's only have USB-C. Oh it would be perfect.

I mean, just look at it, it still looks great, even with the huge bezels. The sturdy aluminium design is still lightyears away from that new LG monstrosity.

1317358652-apples-newest-version-of-thunderbolt-display-mc914lla-2.jpg

Ditto. And make it fully compatible with PC/Windows machines? That'd be a dream come true.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It is so pathetic the stagnation and neglect that has happened to much of the Mac lineup....but it does seem Apple is FINALLY course correcting. It is just going to be a little while before we see everything. The iMacs released at WWDC were the first to showcase this turnaround, and now the iMac Pro also did not disappoint. Let's hope the MacBooks get the same level of care and PRO in them again.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should release more headless Macs, including low, middle and high products, from Mac mini to Mac Pro, and also a new mini tower. CPU may last seven years (then you cannot install new macOS releases but displays last more than 20 years. Fight programmed obsolescence, protect the environment and fight climate change and global warming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.