Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’m sorry, but I still like this design despite it being flawed and never been upgraded.
I think it’s cool looking and different :)

That’s why I like the Surface Studio too, make a computer look different. Not a boring metal box!!

I think it’s a tempting buy if the price was a lot less, you can use an EGPU if needed right? Shame it’s still in the multi thousands price bracket :(

Reactions: jeffreyg and MH01

austinmcguire

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Lots of complaints from people that will never buy a high-end Mac no matter how good it is.
While I am one of those people who will never buy a high end Mac, I used to but the mid-grade Mac all the time. There is a huge hole in the Mac's lineup between the MacMini (Tops out at $999) and the Mac Pro (Starts at $2999). Also MacOS assumes that everyone has an SSD, however the MacMini comes with a 5400 RPM hard drive (max non-sequential read of 1.5MBps). I can not tell you how many spinning beachballs I see on a regular basis. Yes the current top of the line MacMini has a fusion drive, but I am not spending $1000 for essentially just a hard drive upgrade.

And before someone says how about the iMac, I am one of those people who do not want an All-in-one. Yes the monitor is glorious, But I tend to upgrade my monitors every other computer upgrade. A good monitor can easily outlast a computer.

While a mid-grade headless Mac will probably steal some sales from the Mac Pro, I honestly believe that more people will upgrade from the MacMini, than will downgrade from the MacPro.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I am not upset it is 4 years old given the chip changes we have seen happen slowly. I am more disappointed there is not a modular MacPro using the "old" case as well. Also a Mac-Mini in the style of the Mac II SE, small but modular.

Apple refuses to have a double battery iPhone despite massive consumer feedback.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'd like to see them some how retain this design for a modular and headless Mac. Yes it can't be a powerhouse using modern graphics cards due to thermal constraints. But it is still a great looking design. As some sort of upgrade from the MacMini, this would be great.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
I'm really interested to see what the new display will look like.
If they took the Thunderbolt Display and made it 5K, added a better mic, better camera, better speakers and more ports to act as a hub since the new MacBook Pro's only have USB-C. Oh it would be perfect.

I mean, just look at it, it still looks great, even with the huge bezels. The sturdy aluminium design is still lightyears away from that new LG monstrosity.

Edit: And while you're at it, add a HDMI port. It would be great if I didn't have to use a separate display to play on a console once in a while.

1317358652-apples-newest-version-of-thunderbolt-display-mc914lla-2.jpg
Non adjustable stand is still a huge fail. But they always prefer design over functionality. They don't care that every second person has a book or another "filling" stuffed underneath. Difficult to understand, but many seem to be happy, cause the most important attribute of a monitor seems to be "the sturdy aluminium design".

Music Ambulance

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
also IMHO and many others the new iMac pro is a throttling over heating dust collecting mess waiting to happen and with a sub par screen compared to NEC or Eizo ? OK for a second monitor but again dead end on GPU updates in a few years to keep current etc.. sad really sad

Agree about Eizo.

I’ve seen detail on an Eizo you’ll never see on an Apple screen. Forget the Retina display. It’s the ability to display A LOT more contrast in terms of tones and colours. Apple screens are too shiny, all the dark tones look like mud.

Would be nice to see Apple do their take on a serious monitor but pretty unlikely because so many pros don’t get it, or don’t care.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Apple became a disgrace to the professional / creator community. Not only #peakbugs, but the glossy mirror displays of MacBooks and iMacs are a pain to work with, too. So many people leaving for Windows, and Linux. Creators to the first, web developers for the later, ...
[doublepost=1513683125][/doublepost]

Yeah, also the professionals are the influencers who convinced the Joe users to go for a Mac a decade ago, and are not happy today anymore, ... So each Pro customer left, are many more users to follow later, ...
And this is a pattern that Apple has been following for at least 20 years..They pull us professionals in with a superior
OS and then they put out some great hardware and we all buy in. These millionaire shitz who run Apple, with their,
"oh look, a squirrel!" mentality, then move on to their latest obsession and when the pro sector has gone to hell they decide after everyone has left, to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.
The Millionaires who run Apple are out of touch. They don't have a clue what the prosumer wants much less the PROS.

Reactions: Aldaris and nt5672

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'd say no, because only a really small percentage of their income is from that market. ...
The iMac and Macbooks are way more popular that the Mac Pro, so they have to be careful about what they release.
The problem isn't overall sales / profitability, they've got that worked out pretty well.

The problem is effectively telling their customers, "We've totally got your back, as a supplier of computers to fit all your demanding needs... up to a certain point. After that, get bent, and go use Windows or Linux or something, because we don't care about you then."

But even for a large pool of users who think they might eventually have such needs, but never end up needing it, having an all-Apple upgrade path in front of them gives them the security to buy that mid-level Apple machine today. Having no workable upgrade path beyond an all-in-one filled with laptop-class parts is frustrating and worrisome.

Remember, everyone likes to quote the "can't innovate my ass" line, while laughing at the current Mac Pro, but that was said at an unveiling coming as an answer to the previous neglected Mac Pro. They made a world-class pro machine, the "cheese grater" Mac Pro, and then they didn't stay aggressive on upgrading it, and people worried for a long time, so they went in their secret cave and created the cylindrical Mac Pro, which was an amazing start, and then they... ... ... nothing. They let that one wither on the vine too.

The cylindrical Mac Pro is an amazing design, and should be put in an art museum, but it fails on all sorts of practicality points that the old cheese grater totally had covered. They let pride get in the way and showed off how well they could design... a work of art. But not a practical pro-level machine. There's a scene in Ocean's Eleven, where Rusty (Brad Pitt's character) is trying to teach a roomful of idiots how to play poker, and one of the idiots lays down his cards with a flourish, proudly announcing, "All REDS!" And gets congratulated by all the other idiots. Doing a great job of totally not the thing that's needed/important/relevant, and feeling he "totally nailed it". Remind you of anyone's ass innovations?

Apple set out to make a machine for people with "professional" needs, for those extreme edge/corner cases, demanding uses (ones not adequately served by their existing standard Mac lines), and their target market had a checklist that started out with, "Power/speed. Capability. Expandability." And Apple somehow came away from that focus group with a checklist that started with, "Innovative/sleek. Small. Quiet." And built a machine that... not only couldn't the customers expand it, but even Apple couldn't figure out how to upgrade it. So it died on the vine. AGAIN. The target market didn't ask for the machine to be tiny and round. Those were odd design choices that Apple made. If they'd kept at it and made improved versions (setting aside the utter lack of expandability for a moment), then they might have gotten away with it. But it didn't play out like that, and Apple didn't even try to keep the machine relevant, much less cutting-edge. Instead, no matter how pretty the "current" Mac Pro is, it's a complete failure on the axes that are important to the intended users.

(Apple could have come out a couple years ago and said, "sorry, we screwed up by releasing a shiny new unexpandable Mac Pro that maxed out its thermal envelope on the first day - here's a recycled cheese grater Mac Pro chassis with the latest/greatest CPUs, graphics cards, and I/O ports", and the pro users would have sang their praises. But Apple was apparently more concerned with image and artistry than with meeting the customer's needs.)

I'd like to see Apple once again make a machine perfectly aimed at the high end - even if I don't need one right now - so I know that it's there if/when I do. (I'd also like them to make the mythical xMac - one step up from the Mac Mini, a small headless desktop box with a decent cpu/gpu and easy-open doors for upgrading the ram, storage, etc. - but I don't really believe in fairy tales any more.)

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Having lived with a variety of the new MBPs, all I can say is God help the forthcoming Mac Pro.

Apple seems incapable of designing and selling computers that are not crippled out of the box in the name of thin.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The price point is really too high for the majority of customers. How many "pro" users are out there who really need a Mac pro and are willing to pay so much for a computer?

How much, exactly, will the new Mac Pro cost that you know the price point is too high?

My point is the Mac Pro, and even the iMac pro, is counting for such a small percentage of their income that it doesn't really make a difference for them if they release a wrong product, as the trashcan was.

Yeah, just add it to the long list of products that Apple doesn't care if it's a flop or not, right? You think Apple only cares about the iPhone and Macbook?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Having lived with a variety of the new MBPs, all I can say is God help the forthcoming Mac Pro.

Apple seems incapable of designing and selling computers that are not crippled out of the box in the name of thin.

The Mac Pro towers from 2006 to 2012 shows that there is hope, I think.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Pros should wait to see what the new Mac Pro will bring rather than get the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro is the pro version of the iMac, not the iMac version of the Mac Pro.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Okay, fine, let's have the three graphic artists who draw the emojis go over and help the software developers working on macOS/iOS by... what, exactly? Drawing inspirational posters to put up on the walls in the software developer offices?
Or you could fire the 3 graphic artists and hire 3 software engineers... like it should have been

Reactions: albebaubles

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
How much, exactly, will the new Mac Pro cost that you know the price point is too high?

Yeah, just add it to the long list of products that Apple doesn't care if it's a flop or not, right? You think Apple only cares about the iPhone and Macbook?

Based on available evidence, only the iPhone line.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I wonder if the old Mac Pro re-enlists as the new Mac Mini?

The design of that Pro was great, but it wasn't a Pro design. Seemed like a tricked-out mini.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The Mac Pro towers from 2006 to 2012 shows that there is hope, I think.

I don't think Jonny Ive was involved in the design at that point. Now he is and I don't think he would be caught dead letting something like that come out of Apple now. He would consider it a personal insult. He does not give a **** what you or I think, the only thing that matters are the magazines, any anyone else extolling his gobbledygook design philosophy, and his own image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.