Trash won't empty

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vjaaan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

I keep trying to free up space on my MacBook Pro. When I try to Empty Trash, it shows it starting, but then it locks up. How can I fix this?

Also, I have deleted many photos from within iPhoto, and then I empty the iPhoto trash. And yet, checking with Finder, I find that I actually show LESS available space on my hard drive than before.

I also wonder, is it time for me to upgrade to Mountain Lion finally, and will that help with any of these space problems? And will that help my system resources so that I can show videos without them stopping and starting, like is happening more often lately.

Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try verifying disk permissions and disk state. Your trash not emptying normally happens when something is miss addressed in the disk.

3. GGJstudios, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

I upgraded to Mountain Lion and now my trash emptying works fine.

However, I have lost ichat. I no longer can find my Buddy List for Aim to see who is online. How might I get this back? iMessage does not show who is online.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iChat AIM functions have been incorporated into Messages. Open Messages and look in Preferences / Accounts to add your AIM account. Then hit command-1 to bring up your buddy list.

6. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you. that works fine.

It's good to have it back.