Travel USB C charger for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dpace32, Sep 16, 2018.

1. dpace32 macrumors regular

Hello - I am looking to buy an extra charger for my 2018 13" MBP w/TB. In particular I am looking for a charger that I can put in my school backpack and travel with in situation that I might need to charge. I do not need it to be a fast charger but would prefer something that is small and lightweight.

Is it possible to use an iPhone charger with a USB to USB C cable? Any other small travel chargers people recommend?

Thank you!

2. Tmelon macrumors 65816

When I was still in school I carried around a 12W iPad charger and a USB C to USB and that was sufficient to keep the MBP going during light use. A 5W iPhone charger probably wouldn't be enough to keep the MacBook Pro battery charged during use.

3. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Finex makes a tiny charger for MacBook Pro ... works great!

4. dpace32 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I wasnt sure if this would work - Apple says you can use the MBP charger with an iPad but doesnt reference the opposite.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    Very cool! Thank you!

5. Abaganov macrumors 6502

I was looking to buy it but it seems they are out of stock on USB c type chargers :(

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

7. Abaganov macrumors 6502

is the anker that much smaller then the standard apple charger? It's hard to tell from the pictures

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple has three different USBC chargers, 30W, 61W, and 87W.

Which of these are you considering "the standard apple charger" :p

Anker's spec sheet says 2.7" x 2.7" x 1.1" -- https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-ii-with-power-delivery/A2321121

For traveling I'd suggest something like the powerport speed pd5 coupled with a 1ft power cord allowing you to easily charge all your gadgets with just one charger. I presently have an older Choetech version with just 3A output on the USBC port which is fine for overnight recharge of my rMB12 (what I travel with), but would buy the Anker unit if I were to start carrying my MBP15 instead.

9. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

TheMadBrewer

I've been using the 29W Apple charger for my MBP (2017) when traveling. It is enough to charge it overnight and to keep it charged while using it.