Travel

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by palmerc2, Sep 29, 2014.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I personally am huge on travel, more specifically world travel. Broadens the mind, gives you new perspective, and you have invaluable memories.

What countries do you like visiting the most? Why? What's your favorite part of the place in question? Where would you like to go next?

I just got done backpacking through Europe for a month, and now travel is all I can think about. I want to talk about, discuss it, plan it, I want to see every corner of this planet.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In all my travels nothing compares to a small untouched island in the South Pacific! The sunsets are like a tropical postcard almost every night.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What is the name of this place you speak of?

4. Huntn, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Did you sleep on the beach (no facilities), or are you using the term loosely? ;)

I love natural settings, but admit most places I've visited around the world have been touched by man in a big way.

5. Liberty. macrumors 6502

I used to travel a lot and even did an apprenticeship in tourism and one of the places I really fell in love with was the area of Andalusia. It's so beautiful and especially Gibraltar was just a dream.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Kwajalein and the Marshall Islands.

7. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

The Marshall Islands are BEAUTIFUL!

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Are you asking about travel for fun/pleasure, or for work and/or interest, or some combination of the two?

Most of the answers posted so far seem to discuss travel in the context of leisure, whereas in my experience - some of the most extraordinary places I have visited (lived in/worked in) have been by far the more interesting.

9. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

Where in Europe?

10. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

My trip ended up being: London > Stockholm > Hamburg > Amsterdam > Prague > Budapest > Austrian countryside > Munich (for Oktoberfest).

11. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

Nice :)

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very interesting journey; how long did you allow yourself to do it, and how long did you spend in each place? Were there one or two places which you preferred over the others?

13. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

My trip was just under a month, and I stayed in each place a minimum of 2 nights - exceptions being Stockholm which I stayed 3, Prague I spent 3, and Munich I spent 4.

I've been asked that question quite a bit by friends and family, or a variation of....this is my answer: there's no particular place I liked more than another, because I loved everywhere I went equally. I suppose I could add the places I was the most pleasantly surprised with was London and Budapest. I honestly wasn't expecting to like London, not sure why. Perhaps I was expecting it to be way too crowded, cold, rainy, unpleasant, etc. I went in with the lowest expectation, and left with an amazing experience.....can't wait to go back to London! Budapest was just gorgeous and only went because I met a fellow traveller who told me it's his favorite place in Europe, since I went on my trip with no plan I was able to accommodate it.....and I'm very glad I did.

People were friendly everywhere I went, truly an amazing experience. Can't wait to go back!

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

I studied abroad in Rome in Fall 2009 and it was the best decision I ever made. Not only did I get to travel to a few places in Europe, but I got to explore all over Rome and Italy itself. I feel I was lucky in that regard - I had a very narrow travel budget while abroad, so I couldn't go out of the country every weekend like some people. That allowed me to see more of the city and more of Italy than many of my peers.

That being said, my favorite country was probably Poland. We landed in Katowice, spent a night and day in Warsaw, few days in Torun, and then a day/night in Krakow with a day in Auschwitz. The cities in Poland were pretty nice and clean with a fairly young crowd and things were very cheap. We met a bunch of graduate school students in Torun who took us out to their favorite places and it made it that much better.

From Poland we went to Prague, I believe, then Budapest and Bratislava for a night to cap off the week and a half trip. I also went to Switzerland (Interlaken) and London. I've had the travel bug ever since, but I've stayed within the U.S. on recent trips - DC/Arlington and San Antonio/Austin were my most recent ones.

My next travel goals are:
    1) Take a west coast road trip, probably hit the northern half, go south down the coast, and back east.
    2) Go on at least one international trip before I need to renew my passport.

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Did you research before pulling off such a trip? Like, where the places of interest are, how to take the bus, etc?

I mean, on vacations I like to see things, so I usually walk at least 15-20 km each day, up and down, in and out, walk and stop. Call me old, but at day 4 I'm pretty worn out. Can you afford to have do-nothing days? :D

16. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I read Rick Steves Europe Through The Back Door which was invaluable for information. I did get a few ideas of where to travel to, but for he most part I had a general idea of where I wanted to go. I travelled one day at a time with no plan, so each day was pretty much a mystery!