Traveling to Canada. Need advice.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmichalec, Jul 5, 2013.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Traveling to canada this weekend with my unlocked iPhone5, normally on Tmob. A few questions:

1. Is it good enough to set the Data Roaming switch in settings to OFF to prevent surprise international data charges, or would it be better to switch the Cellular Data switch in settings to off so that the phone is grunted to use data only when on Wifi (according to the description of the Cellular Data switch)? Is that overkill?

2. Any tips for ways to call/txt back to phone numbers in the US cheaply? I was looking at using my Google Voice number, which is linked to my Taptalk app, to make calls/send texts when on WiFi at the hotel. Any thoughts on that? Any other ideas for when I'm not on Wifi? I see with Tmob roaming, I can recieve texts for free, but its $0.20 a text outgoing, or $0.53/min to make or receive calls. Looking for something i can use to make maybe a 5-10 min call each day to check on in my elderly father, and maybe a few texts a day to other people.

Thanks.

2. TheProFTW macrumors regular

3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

If the phone is unlocked and it's a TMobile (GSM network), why not just buy a sim card there with a data plan? That's what I always do when I travel internationally (Canada included). Your local TELUS phone or a company like that will be happy to accommodate you.

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

1. Set "Data Roaming" to OFF unless you're traveling within your home country, period.

2. Prepaid cards from Loblaws (various banners - Loblaws, no frills, valumart, Real Canadian Superstore, etc...), Shoppers Drug Mart and the like.

btw, OP: the lack of wireless competition in Canada is worse than that of USA - I'm not kidding about it.

5. SC54HI macrumors member

SC54HI

1. Set "Data Roaming" & "Cellular Data" to off to be sure you won't inadvertently roam. Leave WiFi on.

2. If you're on VZW, the Canada/Mexico feature (1000 voice minutes, unlimited SMS texting to & from Canada to US) is only $10 per month.

ETA - Sorry, missed your saying you're on TMob.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would do this as well. I traveled to Belize a few months ago, and this is what I did. Worked like a charm.

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

Vancouver and Whistler

Going to Vancouver and Whistler with my unlocked GSM iPhone 4s. I anticipate light voice, moderate SMS and about 3Gb data.

I'd appreciate recommendations...

8. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Postpone trip until next ski season.

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

Not a skier so no snow in Whistler is ok. :)

10. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Mtb'ing mecca when there's no snow. Did it in 2012. Awesomeness personified.

11. dborja macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I might check that out...

12. Chief87 macrumors newbie

Try to stay somewhere with free wifi and just use whatsapp on skype! I done this for a few weeks when in the states.

13. dborja macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's my plan but I'm worried about needing to call somebody if I'm out of range from a WiFi area.

14. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

If the phone is unlocked, buy yourself a sticker for your sim card from a company called "know roaming". It auto detects when you're roaming and puts you on their network for cheap call/text/data. You have an account you can refill with money, and it works globally. Soon as you're back home, auto switches back to your normal carrier.
    $35 for the sticker to put on your sim
    After that, cheap rates you can check out on their website http://www.knowroaming.com
    I've tried this personally because i travel a lot, works like a charm.

15. dborja macrumors 6502a

Thanks, pogoyoyo! I'll consider this.