Traveling to Cuba with iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbrellisford, May 14, 2010.

1. mbrellisford macrumors member

I'm heading to Cuba next Friday for vacation from Canada (Fido). I wanted to bring my phone just for video, music, etc.

I've heard about people racking up REDICULOUS phone bills because they didn't turn off "Data Roaming". Would it be better to just remove the Sim Card before I leave? Obviously it will limit the phone functionality, but I'm a little paranoid that even with Data Roaming off I'll still get huge roaming charges or extra charges for texting...

What would anyone suggest I do (based on experience)?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I'm going to USA from Canada next week with my Rogers iPhone. I would recommend taking SIM out completely to 100% avoid any charges. That's what I'm going to do

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would turn off Data Roaming and turn on Airplane mode as well.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Airplane mode takes care of any data. It completely shuts off the baseband (3G, talk) and thus you won't get charged. Thats the solution without taking the SIM out.

If really paranoid, then yes, take out the SIM.

Side note, with data roaming off, no data (not even voicemail) will be active. You will only be able to make calls.

5. mbrellisford thread starter macrumors member

What about texts? What kind of charges should I be expecting just for the cellular network roaming (like, just for being outside of the Fido network)?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you text, you will be charged roaming text and same for calls. Its like being outside Fido, but a bit more expensive because of international stuff.