Traveling with the 15. good for planes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dxr808s, Aug 25, 2011.

1. dxr808s macrumors member

I am trying to figure out what model is best for me (13 or 15).

I could probably get by with the 13, but I am leaning towards the 15 for its size.

My main issue is that I travel a LOT. How is the 15 on coach flights and such? I don't mind the heaviness, or the bulkiness of actually transporting it, I'm just wondering about using at your seat.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't think it will be too good; it's just as thin, but you have to deal with more screen estate which transfers to a larger base as well.

If you're flying, get the 13 inch; what are you planning on doing with the computer?

4. nameiscudi macrumors newbie

its not that bad with the 15" on a plane but a 13" would probably suit much better.

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Speaking from personal experience, the 13" is great for planes. I think the 15 might be a little too large, especially given how tightly they're packing passengers in now.

6. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Interesting... Thanks for the responses.

@young spade - I plan to do some document work as well as listen to some music/watch an occasional movie and such.

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. Given that everyone knows how cramped a plane can be isn't this a no-brainer?

Unless you're traveling 1st Class then a 17" would be ok.

8. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

As I have said, I travel a lot. Up until now, I was using a netbook comfortably. There is definitely ROOM to break out a 15". I was just wondering how functional it would be by the people who might actually use them.

I am in need of a new laptop. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone and just get something to replace my laptop AND my netbook.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I hate flying coach(it's well worth the money to upgrade IMHO), but when I have had to(last minute flights and the like), even my 13" seemed too big; if I were planning on flying coach often I would strongly consider an 11" Air, the 13" Air would be pointless as it's footprint is more or less the same as the 13" Pro. I couldn't even imagine using a 15" in coach, and honestly don't think you even could use a 17".

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I fly plenty and my 15" fits fine as long as the person in front of me doesn't lean back too much

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

^Exactly. He has room. I think you've assume a tad bit too much. I don't fly so I know better than to assume; however, I suggested the 13 as I know there is a lot of wait-time between connecting flights (sometimes) and having a 13 inch laptop on your legs is a lot easier to manage than a 15 inch.

I'd say the 13. As I stated above, it's lighter and going to be easier to manage while out and about. Technically you could get the 13 inch Air, but if you plan on keeping it as your main and for many years, I feel that the Air will be somewhat restricting later down the line.

I'm a college student and I do everything from document composition to running virtual machines (which I'm doing right now) while editing photos to rendering HD video.

The 13 inch baseline is going to handle whatever you throw at it for years to come.

12. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

It's totally fine. I've flown coach and used the 17". No worries.

That being said...I do prefer my 13" Macbook Air and no longer have a Macbook Pro. :D

13. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Haha yeah, if I could afford to upgrade, I would. I fly a lot internationally, which can mean literally thousands of dollars in difference. For instance, I have an upcoming trip to Osaka, Japan. A couch ticket costs about $1500. A first class ticket costs $13,000 (THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS) haha.

Interesting, thank you.

Thanks for your input. I am really drawn to that 15" right now though. Basically looking for excuses NOT to pull the trigger at this point. I suppose I don't NEED to use my laptop that often on the flights. I can use the in-flight stuff or my iPhone.

Now that I can not see doing haha.

14. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I just dont see that with no worries. As soon as the guy in front leans back its going to be a loss.

13" Air all the way, or iPad.

15. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

It would be an issue if you sat in coach or economy and the plane was full..

But if you go business or first class, you could probably bring a 17".

16. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

How do you like the Screen Resolution on the 13" MBP? Is it limiting for editing photos / video editing?

17. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I just flew from Dallas to Vancouver which is about a four hour flight and no issues with the 15" MBP, although I wouldn't go any larger.

18. wct097 macrumors 6502

I'm tall, and using any laptop on the tray table is a royal PITA. I end up having to prop it up against my chest to use it most of the time. For me, I'm not sure any sized laptop would work well on an airplane. Doesn't stop me from using my 15" MBP for the entire flight, but it's not enjoyable.

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

As I suspected. Another poster who has basically made up his mind but just wants others to talk him into it.

Whatever works in your decision making process but seriously... a plane ain't no place for a big-assed piece of electronics - especially international flights. Think of the guy next to you. (i.e, "me").

Get a 13" MBP. Take the savings and apply it to an iPad for your flights.

20. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

AFlyinmg

If you have a 15 and the person in front puts his/her seat all the way back, you could be in trouble. I have a 13 and MBA 11 and I loved the 11 for travel.

21. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Get an iPad for watching movies in flight. It's just what you need. Doesn't take up much space and can keep you occupied through the whole flight.

Get the MBP 15 and keep it in your bag and use it for work.

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Some of you guys totally over exazergate the size contraints...trust me my parents used to cheap out on planes and I would be crapped in the smallest seat possible in between a crying baby, a cat, and an autistic boy named paul all at the same time (I **** you not true situation) and I bet you I could fit a fricken Apple Cinema display up in their if I needed to...that said that would be uncomfortable...I can totally see a 15" MBP fitting in. Me personally if I were you? I would get a MacBook Air 13" Ultimate maxed out...

23. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Last time I flew, I had my trusty 12" Powerbook. It was the perfect size. The 11" MBA screen is dreadfully small, I vote 13" MBP. Too bad the battery life hasn't improved much since the Powerbook days :(

WTF? lol

24. BCurry1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I traveled quite a bit with a 13" pro. It was fine. But honestly, now I carry my iPad. It fits on the tray table perfectly, still have room for a drink and snack. And it weighs nothing.

25. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Awww, you have been here a month and already jaded? :/

No, like I said, I am *trying* to make up my mind. I have OBVIOUSLY researched it before coming here and asking. I am just trying to get perspectives, which is what this forum EXISTS for.

Thanks. Your opinion is HIGHLY regarded :)