Traveling with the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rishiomedia, Oct 25, 2015.

1. rishiomedia macrumors member

I'm traveling to India and Thailand starting Nov 8th. I don't have an Apple Watch, but have so much desire to get one (I'm late to the game because my first iPhone since the iPhone 3G ships in tomorrow!).

I am debating whether to purchase it now or wait for generation 2 after I come back.

I'm wondering how useful the watch is for travelers. Has anyone used Apple Watch while traveling internationally and, if so, how did you use it? Did it serve you or did it complicate your journey?

2. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

I'm visiting Rome at the end of the week, had pondered over buying the watch for ages, then I saw someone using Maps on it for getting around and I was sold on it. I'd buy it.

3. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

It will just be an extension of your iPhone. I don't see how a watch could possibly complicate a vacation.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

well, you need to carry the charger, that's all the complication to it.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I recently traveled domestically in the U.S., to Canada, and to the U.K. with my watch. Just having your home time on the face of the watch is almost worth it. It was excellent to easily see what time it was for calls and communication.

If you have an airline app that transfers boarding passes to Wallet, that is also very convenient. It is great passing through airport security and boarding using the watch instead of your phone.

Navigation is also very handy. The watch signals to you through the haptic feedback, and that is nice when driving or walking.

6. dljor macrumors regular

if you have no data plan on your iPhone while traveling, the watch is not going to help.

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Excellent point. I am on T-Mobile, so I get free data in many countries. I am guessing that would not work in India or Thailand. If you have a GSM phone, maybe a local GSM SIM (if those countries even use GSM) would give you data on the road.

8. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

I used my watch on the 2nd week for a 3 week vacation. It was very useful, especially maps for getting around on buses. You'll definitely need data connection to make use of it--though the fitness capabilities would be useful even if you don't have data.

9. rishiomedia thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the T-mobile plan which gives unlimited free text and data internationally, including my destinations of India and Thailand.

10. rishiomedia thread starter macrumors member

A couple of questions:

- Has anyone used Airb&b and Uber on the watch? Do they work well?
    - Do you have to take off the watch going through security at airports?

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You do not have to take off the watch going through security. No one has looked twice at my watch.

12. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I travel every week, and I am a AW owner since it launch.

As the other says, it's just an extension of your phone. Is it usefull will depends on how you use it (both your phone and watch). Even though no data plan, offline map (NOT the native map app) still works. I always leave my phone in airplane mode at outport to avoid unnecessary calls and possible data roaming, just manually turn on BT and Wifi after switch to airplane mode to enjoy using my watch and offline map. In this config, I can even accept Wi-Fi call (for free) when I am under Wi-Fi network.

One of the handy function the watch is the ability to display multiple time (e.g. I can easily setup a face to display my home time, current time, and UTC). And it will automatically update the primary time to your current location time zone.

The haptic engine makes you can sleep on train or bus without worrying missing station. You can now properly store your phone in a inner pocket to avoid the thief. And set an alarm to wake you up by vibration only, so you won't make any noise to others (e.g. you have to get off the train at mid-night), no need to pull the phone out when the alarm ring (which may be a bit hard if properly stored to avoid thief during sleep), and you won't miss the alarm no matter how noisy out there (or with ear plug on).

And of course, you can put all your boarding pass (or even hotel key) on the watch if the airline (hotel) support it.

The 2m long lightning cable usual works well in hotel. Most of the hotel have power socket just next to the bed. When you charging the watch (during sleep), you can leave the watch next to you in night stand mode (on the bed). And all you need to do now is pat your bed, then the watch face will come on and show you the time (and if there is any notification), no need to wake up.

13. friends1287 macrumors newbie

friends1287

I am from India, yes this would work in that case

14. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

15. friends1287 macrumors newbie

friends1287

why?

16. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

The charger specifically

17. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that quarter sized charger with the thin wire hanging off of it is really frustrating to pack into a tiny pocket of my suitcase/carry on.

18. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

How exactly is the charger annoying? If you were at home you'd be charging it also. My phone and watch chargers are plugged in right next to each other. It takes me maybe 5 extra seconds to coil up two cords instead of one and they go in the same pouch in my backpack.

19. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Mainly because I only have an Apple Watch and most of the other people I know don't. So I only have the charger. But the charger is on the stand at home. So it's annoying to coil it us from the stand and use it.

20. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Nonsense. I have many usb-charged gizmos including a medical device. This is just one more.

I carry a little Anker power block with 10 USB charging ports. The various cables are coiled neatly and tied tidily with cable ties. So I only need one AC plug.

Not annoying... Quite convenient in fact. And the watch is very helpful as I travel, who's is constantly. Map guidance, reminders, hands-free messaging, podcast control... It's huge for me.

21. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Eh, I disagree. When I traveled it was more annoying lol

22. rishiomedia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the post. I'm on T-mobile which actually gives you free data and text in most countries with their standard plans so I don't have to worry about roaming. Can you elaborate on offline map? I've never heard of one for the Apple Watch.

23. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Buy a second charger cable and keep it in your laptop bag. That is what I do, so I can always get to a watch charger if I ever need it. Then, I have my other charger on the stand at home full-time.

24. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

How the heck could you only have an Apple Watch? You have to have an iPhone to use with it. My example was iPhone and Watch cables both need to go in the back.

Alternatively, you could spend $29 and save yourself from being annoyed by having it already coiled in your back and ready for travel at all times... http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKLG2AM/A/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-cable-1m

Obviously, all of this is personal preference, but you just surprised me with the cable being your annoyance. There are so many other things to be annoyed with in life!

25. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Again, it is very inconvient, but I guess it's a solution.