Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As far as vacations to dream locations, I think I'm mostly satisfied. If it's not a hassle, I'd visit China, New Zealand, Tahiti, and Kauai. I think S.America could be interesting, something like Machu Pichu, but I'm mostly ignorant about what's to see there. I've been reading about dirty water for the Olympics in Brazil, so, hmm, don't know. :)

This winter, we are planning a Viking Ocean cruise that leaves Barcelona, heads to the French Riveria, several stops in Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, then back to Spain. I've traveled a lot globally, but am looking forward to this trip because it's to an area I've limited exposure to and it's to places I'd probably not get to as a dedicated trip.

I'll emphasis that my preferred mode of vacation is do it yourself. Several years ago, spent a week touring Tuscany, based out of Florence. Flew into Rome, rented a car, made a quick trip down to Naples and Pompeii, then back up to Florence, and besides seeing Tuscany, got over to Pisa and up into the southern edge of the Italian Alps. We got a lot done in that week and it was wonderful. A highly recommended destination.

I'm pretty picky about cruises, because I don't consider the boat as the prime destination, but the port and how much time there is to do things there. I would never do a bus tour because the prospect of sitting on a bus for 5 hours headed to the next city is not appealing. River cruises are no contest, much better. As far as pricing. a two week trip is $10K for 2 people, (not counting air fare) $350 per day per person, including approx 3000 km of travel, 11 ports, room and board, 3 meals a day, beer included, and tours at every port, every day in port. Does that sound like a bargain or overpriced? I can say the week we spent in Italy, was more like $2500 for both of us (not counting air fare).

Four years ago we went on a two week Viking Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Now that was a great trip that I talked about in another thread in this forum. It was great because we were visiting both large cities and small out of the way towns and in most cases we slept while the boat sailed down the river. Or we were sitting there enjoying the lovely country side floating by. It's very nice, very relaxing, not having to live out of our suitcase, not having to be up for the bus if we wanted to take the day off. As it was, for the entire trip, my wife passed one time on another castle tour. I like castles, so I always went. :)

Here's an example of a less satisfactory cruise- a 5 day Disney cruise out of Galveston, Tx. I went on to please the wife, and it felt like we spent most our time at sea. Of the different ocean cruise lines, I have to give Disney top marks for excellent food and environment. No throngs of 20-30 something year olds partying late into the night, and no catastrophes, broken down ships, everyone getting sick, overflowing toilets, which seems to happen semi-regularly on Carnival. ;)

However, our stops in Jamaica and Cayman Islands were short and inadequate, spending most of our time in the especially prepared tourist shopping areas. At Jamaica we did take a horse and buggy tour, but it's not really the kind of place where you'd want to venture out into town on your own. And there was just not much to see on Grand Cayman Island on such a short visit. Probably more fun to go there for 3 or more days. The best stop was Cozumel, where we had all day, visited a Mayan ruin and a Tequila farm before getting back to the ship that evening.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

Its nice to read all your views.

Dreaming doesn't cost you anything, so dream while its free to dream.

I'm dreaming to go to Palawan, Philippines. There you'll find the "underground river" voted as one of the NEW SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD.
:)
I live in the Philippines and been to Palawan for the only time back in Nov 2012. I think the underground river is a bit overrated but Palawan is gorgeous! The firefly watching at night, the zipline, and the beach were my favorite highlights. Just watch your back when holding a bottled drink or anything in your hands. I remember my cousin holding a Mountain Dew bottle and a monkey snatched it from behind and climbed on a rooftop to drink it. I despise living in the Philippines since I live in the crowded, polluted, dirty streets of Quezon City. Of the only places to visit the Philippines and you aren't into the women, I say Baguio for weather and Boracay and Palawan for scenary. Maybe Batanes way up north too. Avoid Pampanga and Cebu City if you are more into adventure.

My favorites -
Tokyo, Japan
London, England
Paris, France
New York, NY, USA (my fav US city and I was an Angeleno)
Madrid, Granada, and Seville, Spain
Vienna, Austria
Hawaii (Big Island especially)
San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, CA
Lake Tahoe, CA/NV
Orlando, FL

My least favorite -
Budapest, Hungary

My dream -
Revisiting Japan all over again and spending more time there
China
Macau
Rome, Italy
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

If I never travel to those places, then I watch The Travel Channel episodes from Samantha Brown, Anthony Bourdain, and Andrew Zimmern and then dream... I have episodes ranging from Bolivia to Penang. My favorites are always the Asian ones because the food looks more interesting to me and I am closer to those places now.

Like comedy movies and sitcoms, The Travel Channel episodes have some of the highest replay value for me. Still lighthearted but educational enough. I was also into Ghost Adventures for a time thanks to Zak Bagan's passion with ghost hunting. Any lighthearted or educational is great for background multi-task viewings. Have them play in the background while browsing the web or playing a handheld.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.